Accuracy of a 22lr conversion in a 223/5.56 pistol upper???? help?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by ian's dad, Jun 20, 2016.

1. ian's dad

ian's dad Registered Member

I really want to build an AR pistol but also want to shoot 22lr from it. I prefer not to spend the $$$ on a dedicated 22lr pistol upper and am wondering if anyone has experience running 22lr through a 5.56 pistol upper with a conversion.. if so, what kind of accuracy (or lack of) are you seeing..

2. CriminalCamel

CriminalCamel Member

REDACTED

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. georgel

georgel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

4. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor Vendor

McLeansville, NC by way of WV SASS #29170L
    "The standard .22 rimfire cartridges are the .22 BB, .22 CB, .22 Short, .22 Long and .22 Long Rifle (LR). Although the cases differ in length, all can be fired in a LR chamber. Rifles and pistols for all of these cartridges have an actual bore diameter of about .218 inch. The groove diameter (and the bullet diameter) is about .222 inch."
    http://chuckhawks.com/22_rimfire_cartridges.htm

5. YeeHaa

YeeHaa Well-Known Member

This may or may not help you,

The original purpose of the 22LR conversion was to get shooters familiar with handling and operating the M16 at a reduced cost, the cost of ammo.

As others here have pointed out, the barrels are different between M16 and 22LR.

An old gunsmith rule of thumb , ideally the projectile will complete two revolutions before exit.

I have a dedicated AR 22LR barreled upper, rifle , and when I do my part it out shoots a tuned 10/22

Anyway, if you try different ammo you MAY get results satisfactory to you, may not.

You may want to consider buying a used 22LR conversion bolt as they are out there for sale from time to time.

Have fun and Safe Shooting

6. Bunsen

Bunsen Registered Member

I would spend the money and buy the dedicated 22 upper.

I have three Nordic Components dedicated 22 Uppers and they are one of the best on the market. All of mine function flawlessly and only need cleaned every 1500 rounds or so.

Accuracy is 1.0-1.25MOA with SK Jagd. Nordic makes a 9.5" pistol upper. However, with 22LR any barrel length over 4.5" will cause bulk pack ammo (~1250 fps) to remain supersonic.

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/nc-22rb-upper/

If that is a bit too much look at the DPMS 22 upper which is made by Nordic. Although it appears that availability may be limited these days on the DPMS.

http://grabagun.com/panther-arms-ba22-16-upper-22.html

7. GregB72

GregB72 Registered Member

I vote M&P 15-22. They're practically giving them away now.

InvisibleOne likes this.