Aguila 22 standard velocity ammo

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by ccw007, Oct 23, 2016.

1. ccw007

ccw007 Registered Member

I bought some of this ammo not too long ago. I had never shot it before and didn't know what to expect. This stuff is awesome it seems more like match grade ammo. It shoots very quiet and the charge is constant. I have fired a few hundred rounds and with most bulk 22 you will get the occasional under powered round that you can hear the difference in the charge, but I have yet to experience it with the Aguila. It is constantly producing a dime size group at 50 yards in a stock Ruger 10/22 target model. If you have not tried any pick up a box. This has become may favorite 22 especially for hunting.

2. East of Here

East of Here Registered Member

I've had pretty good results with the Aguila standard velocity as well and it works pretty well with a suppressor. However, when it comes to accuracy, my gun groups the Eley 40 grain subsonic hollow points best. My only issue is that both seem to be dirty in my gun, though buildup in the suppressor may be due in part to the design of the can.

3. mikep7m10

mikep7m10 Registered Member

Aguila is my favorite ammo. My guns slightly prefer the subsonic to standard. It's better than CCI too. I also use Aguila 9mm.

4. Lafayette Gregory

Lafayette Gregory Hall of Shame

Where do you guys get this ammo? Tell me more about using it in a supressor. I am using remington subsonic and it is loud!

5. mikep7m10

mikep7m10 Registered Member

Internet. Just put "ammo search engine" into google or your favorite search engine. You will get 5 or 6 different engines on the first page. Use them search for whatever ammo you want.

6. ccw007

ccw007 Registered Member

7. East of Here

I also find it locally at my LGS and also at the Cabelas and Gander Mountain. As for suppressor use, the suppressor will suppress the sound of the round firing, but will not suppress the sonic boom of the bullet breaking the sound barrier when it leaves the barrel. Thus, you get the maximum benefit from your suppressor when using rounds that do not break the sound barrier - i.e. subsonic. The sound barrier is roughly 1126 feet per second. Standard velocity ammo usually runs about 1050 - 1100 feet per second, and is often subsonic (at least at this altitude), but because it is close to the limit and can exceed the sound barrier in some altitudes or barrel lengths, it is not marketed as subsonic.

8. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I bought a good bit of the CCI Standard Velocity because as you say it is subsonic in both my 10/22 and my 22/45. Federal Automatch is subsonic out of my 22/45 also.

9. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Do you mean it is loud out of a suppressor, or are you shooting subs unsuppressed?

10. East of Here

I've only shot Eley and Remington subs through my 22/45 Lite while suppressed. I have not fed any standard velocity of any type through a can on that pistol. However, I recently installed a muzzle brake on the 22/45, and it shocked me how loud that pistol became with the brake.