AK cycles but hammer doesn't always cock?

Discussion in 'AK47' started by circuitspore, Apr 15, 2017.

1. circuitspore

circuitspore Registered Member

On my first outing after having my Saiga converted from the as-imported condition to the proper AK setup, I was experiencing FTFs after the majority of my shots.

I inserted a mag loaded with ten rounds to start with, racked it, pulled the trigger, bang (and man, do I live the thump of 7.62x39). Action cycled itself, I pulled the trigger, NO bang. No click, no trigger movement. Manually cycled the action and a live / unspent round was ejected when I cycled the action. I took aim, pulled the trigger, bang. Action cycled itself, I pulled the trigger, NO bang. It did this for the whole magazine. 5 shots taken, 5 live rounds extracted onto the ground.

I thought it might have been the mag so I grabbed another one that had 30 rounds in it and started firing. Had the same FTF scenario after the first round but then it functioned fine for ten rounds or so. I handed it to another shooter to try out; the majority of his shots had the FTF issue as well.

Any ideas what was going on based on what was happening? Any troubleshooting steps I should have taken?

2. Howland

Howland Member

Please further define, "...after having my Saiga converted from the as-imported condition to the proper AK setup."

Did it by any chance function properly before you tinkered with it?

You are aware that the Soviet strategy was to send unarmed battalions to follow the initial assault wave with instructions to pick up their new rifle from beside the suddenly deceased prior owner, right? Hey, peasants are a dime a dozen.

3. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

4. circuitspore

WTF does that have to do with this thread?

5. circuitspore

6. THE PUNISHER

THE PUNISHER Member

Is a round being chambered but the hammer follows the bolt up? I just did the conversion on my saiga 5.45 and it's does wonderful....does trigger reset?

7. circuitspore

I checked the rounds that I ejected. Light primer strikes on most of them.

8. soreshoulder

what kind of ammo? Have you tried another brand/ type?

9. circuitspore

So far I've only shot it with steel-cased Wolf ammo. I'm kinda worried that if I used US-made brass-cased stuff, it might go full-auto on me :eek: since the primers tend to be a little more sensitive (from my experience, anyway).

10. bnz43

bnz43 Member

Most likely the hammer is following the bolt when it closes causing the light primer strikes.

11. soreshoulder

two schools of thought on that. The light strikes could be causes by weak/ old ammo not sending the bolt back hard enough, which keeps it from going back into battery, vs someone having tinkered with stuff to try to make a full auto.

I'd take it to a gunsmith if you aren't 100% sure, otherwise, load a mag with 3-4 rounds instead of a full complement while you are troubleshooting.

12. JGrigg86

JGrigg86 Shameless Glock Fanboy Club Subscribed

Check to see if the disconnector spring is installed. What brand trigger do you have installed? Did you do the conversion?

soreshoulder likes this.
  13. circuitspore

The ammo was Wolf WPA that I bought a year or two ago. Not sure on the actual date of manufacture. The conversion was done by a gunsmith (that I trust) who didn't experience this issue after doing the conversion. I'll get it back to him at some point when my schedule allows it, but unfortunately that won't be for a while.

If I end up having an opportunity to shoot the AK before I make it to the 'smith, my plan is to only load two rounds per mag just in case the light primer strikes get heavier.

14. circuitspore

Tapco G2. I didn't notice any extra play in the disconnector when I had the dustcover off and was trying to replicate the failure, but I didn't specifically check the spring. I'll take a look.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far!

15. NCshooter26

NCshooter26 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

The "light primer strikes" are more than likely not that at all, but are probably just indentions from the firing pin because the firing pin is free floating, and not spring loaded. In other words, the firing pin is making an indentation on the primer, due to inertia, which is perfectly normal.

The hammer follow issue you're experiencing can be caused by a handful of issues, a missing disconnector spring, an out of spec FCG or FCG components(or improperly installed FCG/axis pins), or a rear trigger guard rivet(assuming a new trigger guard was riveted on during the conversion rather than a bolt on type) being too high causing interference at the tail of the disconnector.

The easiest way to check is to remove the dust cover, recoil spring, bolt and bolt carrier and visually inspect for anything out of order. Work the FCG by hand. Hold the trigger to the rear and try to reset the hammer and see if the disconnector is catching the hammer. Start there, and things should be pretty easy to resolve.

soreshoulder likes this.