Antler Shed Hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by RJackson, Jan 26, 2017.

1. RJackson

RJackson Registered Member

I'm planning to take on antler shed hunting this year with my yellow lab. We only had one day last year in early March where we were able to get out for a few hours and search. I've done quite a bit of research on when the best time to start hunting is, as I don't want to start too early and "push" the bucks out or start too late and let other animals chew on the antlers. I've read all sorts of answers on when to start, and my grandpa has told me that he has shot bucks in December that had already dropped their antlers. I understand that it depends on testosterone levels and possibly weather conditions, etc. I still have my trail camera out in hopes that I can notice when I see bucks without antlers.

So with this being a site for Carolinians, I figured I would ask to see if there is anyone out there with some good advice on when to start based on past experience. I understand that all deer are different and there isn't a "certain day", but any insight from those with experience would be great, as I am a rookie. Thanks in advance. Located in Eastern NC. -Rand

2. tjfreddy

tjfreddy Registered Member

I pulled the cards on my cameras last week and the bucks are still holding horns in Guilford County. I am a rookie as well when it comes to shed hunting. I found a few last year late Feb/early March.
    Fred

3. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

Saw a buck, just this week that still had his rack. Nice one too.

4. RJackson

Thanks for the input. My grandpa called me this past week to tell me that he saw what he believed to be 3 bucks chasing a doe across a field. I'll be sure to post up when I notice the bucks losing antlers or find any antlers.

5. hobart

hobart Registered Member

I just found a new rub yesterday, less than a week old, in my pasture while repairing fence

6. turkeydance

turkeydance Active Member

the time is now. between the Super Bowl and St. Patrick's Day has been the best for my two dogs and me. no bugs, the briars are hardened off, and this week will be nice weather.

7. RJackson

Thanks for the input from you folks. Just wanted to update. We took down our trail camera on February 14th because the guys farming were doing some mowing and we didn't want our camera turned into mulch. The last spotted buck we had on camera was actually that morning (2/14/17) and it was a peg horn. Only one side was visible, but that isn't saying much.
    With school, I haven't been able to shed hunt at all. This week I am on spring break so I have put in about 5 hours so far, and that may be about all that I get. I found 2 this past Sunday (3/5/17). The first one was laying on the edge of a ditch sticking up out of the kudzu. I'm guessing that he jumped the ditch and the impact from landing was enough to jar the antler loose. The 2nd one was about 50 yards away in a field with the points sticking up. I was surprised at how easy they were to spot from a distance. Of the 5 hours searching, I'd say I have 3 hours inside of the woods and 2 hours out in the open looking through fields, ditches, and the edge of woods. Both were found out in the open. Both look fairly fresh and have no signs of being chewed on.
    Just wanted to put my findings out there. Thanks again

8. nc_reb

nc_reb Registered Member

If you want to make shed hunting easy, take you three "T" posts and a driver down into where you suspect bucks to be frequenting. Drive them into the ground to make a "V". Pull some livestock wire around those three poles, and put some corn in the corner. When bucks come to eat the corn their antlers will be forced to rub in and against the wire on either side while they eat. If you are lucky enough to get multiple buck visiting you are likely to find some sheds laying in the corn. You can put out two or three "shed antler traps" to increase your odds of getting antlers.