Any public ranges around Western NC with longer distances?

Discussion in 'The Snipers Nest' started by frogger, Jan 24, 2017.

1. frogger

frogger Registered Member

I've got the bug to try to build a 1000 yard rifle, but I can't seem to find a place I could shoot it if I did. I'm in Claremont, NC (between Hickory and Statesville). Anyone know of a public range within a 2 hour radius where I could take 300, 500 or even 1000 yard shots?

2. jsb

jsb Registered Member

Having never been there myself (I'm down in Wilmington, quite a ways south and east of you), I don't really know much about it, but the nearest extended-range place I know of that's really near you is Hawks Ridge Gun Club, in/near Ferguson ( http://www.hawksridgegunclub.com/index.html ), which is about an hour (or perhaps a bit less) to the north and slightly-west of Claremont. They list their address as 1020 Gladys Fork Rd., Ferguson NC 28624, and their full name is the "Hawks Ridge 1000 Yard Gun Club" - they are apparently open to anyone wanting to shoot long-range (up to 1000 yards). Maybe pull up their website, and give 'em a shout, see what's up.

Hope that helps...:)

3. frogger

frogger Registered Member

Not a lot of info on their site, but I'll drop them an email and see what they have to offer. Thanks for the lead. Never heard of this place.

4. jsb

jsb Registered Member

Yeah, no problem, happy to help out - I'd never heard of it myself, but was doing some looking-around awhile back for any useful-sounding medium-long to long ranges without trying to specify exact location up-front, since the closest places to me (that I know of) are limited to about 100 - 150 - 200 yards, and I've got a couple of rifles that are just getting started pretty good out at 200 - plus, I always figured it'd be kinda cool to sometime give 1,000 yards a try-out, y'know? Kind of looks to me like maybe they haven't been in business all that long...

Anyway - best of luck to you; maybe let me know how it works out, in case the subject comes up again, right?

5. GSRswapandslow

GSRswapandslow Member

that's pretty much your best best....they're west of wilkesboro on 268.

there are two (2) 300 yard ranges in hickory, but they're members only. at least, i THINK they're 300yds. one off springs road and the other in vale

6. TPH

TPH Registered Member

Hey Frogger, please let us know what you find out. This will be about an hour from where I will be living and would be thrilled to have a place that close to exercise some of my rifles at longer range.

7. Headspace

Headspace Registered Member

You are correct. They both have 300 yard ranges, and are membership clubs. I've shot as a guest at Catawba Valley Rifle and Pistol Club (the one off Springs Rd) and I'm a member at Catawba Valley Wildlife Club (Vale). We are in process of completely revamping our rifle range; it's been recently graded and new grass sowed, the access roads to the target lines are now being graded and graveled. The berms were recently revised and improved, and new prone firing positions established in front of the gun house, to provide better positions for the monthly CMP matches.

On occasion, we are able to extend the range to 600 yards for sniper matches by moving the firing positions up the hill from the gun house. CVWC has much more to offer the shooter than a fantastic rifle range. We have a skeet range, wobble trap range and sporting clays range for the shotgun enthusiast, a pistol range separate from the rifle range (although one side of the firing line at the rifle range supports shooting at 7, 15, and 25 yards for pistol). It is an outstanding club and well worth the membership costs. One requirement is that you must now be an NRA member to maintain membership.

8. GSRswapandslow

GSRswapandslow Member

where do the hold the hickory groundhog shoot? it's 600yds

9. bspitt

bspitt Active Member

That's at bullseye sporting goods

10. GSRswapandslow

GSRswapandslow Member

is that ever open to the public>

11. nukeman

nukeman Registered Member

Hawks Ridge is a Benchrest Club and is not open to the public. It is not a business or a gun range, but a chicken farm with a firing line and a 1000yd target line. Go to a Benchrest shoot out there to find out more.

12. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Registered Member

Bangsteel in Bland,Va. Check their website for training and matches (next one Feb 4).

13. GregB72

GregB72 Registered Member

I think Duncan's outdoor range is 300 and I know Watauga Gun Club is 300. Both require membership, but it's not ridiculously priced and there is no waiting list. I'm a member at Watauga, if you ever want to try to get together and go as my guest to try it out, let me know.

14. jsb

jsb Registered Member

Uhm - not that it matters all that much to me, as the listed location for Hawks Ridge is about 4-1/2 hours' drive away from me, making it pretty unlikely I'll be going there anytime soon (if ever), even just to look around - and not trying to even pretend to "superior" information, exactly - but their website says (among other things): "Hawks Ridge 1000 Yard Gun Club welcomes any new shooters who would like to come out and give 1000 yard shooting a try." and "...if you have any questions about the club, rules, match dates, etc., please feel free to email or call any member on the club contact page..."

Myself (if I was close-enough to there to be really interested), I'd give 'em a call or an e-mail before I went to a shoot, in order to find out more (like they suggest) - but then, maybe that's just me... ;)

15. nukeman

Glad you can read the website so well.:cool:

If you'd like firsthand info about the place, it's a good idea to consult people who actually shoot there.
    There are lots of wonderful welcoming people who would be happy to help you if you showed up to the 1k Bench rest matches. (Me included) Also you would learn and understand exactly how the place works. It is not a normal gun range, it is a 1k yd Benchrest club that shoots on an operating farm.

16. nukeman

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG Bangsteel in Bland VA is a great suggestion. It's straight up 77. I shot there yesterday at the rifle match. Match targets were 460-1100 yards.

bspitt likes this.
  17. jsb

jsb Registered Member

Well - thanks for the additional info - ;) -

"If you'd like firsthand info about the place, it's a good idea to consult people who actually shoot there. " - which is pretty-much what I said...even without knowing you'd shot there recently (which kinda seems to be implied by your first reply, though not stated).

No need to be tetchy about it - just seems like, given the price of fuel these days at mostly well-north of two bucks a gallon, it would seem to behoove one to investigate as much in advance - by phone and/or e-mail, as is broadly suggested on the web-site - before going there, even for a benchrest shoot - YMMV, as always...the website's pretty easy to read, really, and it includes a listing of the rules and ordinary shooting cost for a match. However - as you say (and as I referred-to), it's always good to talk with folks who've Been There & Done It.

Having shot, off and on, at a lot of rifle ranges, both moderate- and long-range - some of 'em pretty "basic", and a few on operating farm-steads ("Don't shoot at the cows 'er the chikkens; they won't shoot back, but it don't do nuthin' good fer the milk or tha egg-production") - over the years, I'm not so sure anymore just how to define a "normal gun range", really...again, YMMV...:cool:

Nice pictures, BTW - I take it that that's Bangsteel in Bland, VA...and that the silo's not really a legit target, right?

Anyway, thanks for the added info -

18. Deerhunter_28

Deerhunter_28 Registered Member

I have shot at Hawks Ridge once.
    Very nice place.
    Dues used to be $50.00 per year.
    I'm not sure if that is still true.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. dudley

dudley Registered Member

i've got a spot over in wilkes could probably take you some time... out to 500 yrds, then 980 yrds & 1680 yrds....
    But we'll have to blind fold you on the trip in & out...

20. ERE99

ERE99 Member

At Conover Rifle & Pistol CLub our matches are open to the public on weekends. Not the general range, just the matches. You can look on our website to see what`s on tap each weekend. Usually at least a pistol and a rifle match of some sort every weekend April-Oct.

I made the mistake of driving out to CVWC for a "CMP Match", vintage sniper actually, and found out their matches were closed to the public. The dude at the gate said I couldn`t even watch and needed to leave. I haven`t been back. There was a thread on the CMP board about it last summer.

The range in Rutherford Co is 600yds, dunno what the restrictions are, I`ve been invited by a member to sight in there before Butner this year so I guess I`ll try it out.. I think I`ve got a local place to go 800yds, just waiting on the guy to get the lane cut. He`s a shooter too and just bought the tract. Hopefully he can get it done soon as its a heck of a lot closer than Rutherfordton!

21. STMike

STMike Registered Member

I've been trying to find a place myself in caldwell county. If I have any luck I'll be sure and fill let you know.

22. dudley

dudley Registered Member

fixed us a platform last week..

Attached Files:

STMike likes this.
  23. STMike

STMike Registered Member

Man that's awesome. I can't find anywhere around to even get close to trying that distance.

24. dudley

dudley Registered Member

let me know... we'll shoot some one weekend..

25. GSRswapandslow

GSRswapandslow Member

bang steel is right up the road from some family land in Bland.. always wanted to give them a shot, but sold all my big stuff and i don't think a 222 or SBR will reach that far

26. STMike

STMike Registered Member

Anyone having any luck in the Hickory lenoir area?

27. Headspace

I was up there last week. It's the best shooting experience I've had since the military. Made it out to 1175 yards, ran out of scope before I ran out of gun. Learned that my Grendel will shoot as well as a .308 at that range, maybe a smidge better.

28. Headspace

Not sure about Lenoir, but ranges (two) in Hickory are limited to 300 yards, both require membership. I know where I can shoot to 1000 yards in the area, but it's private, by invitation only. So far, I haven't been invited, but I haven't asked. I've known the land owner for many years.