AR15 in 9mm question

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by bimmerland, Dec 24, 2016.

1. bimmerland

bimmerland Registered Member

I saw well engineered 9mm with a CMMG dedicated lower and full length floating foreend at the C&E show last week in Raleigh.

The gentleman who makes these gives me two options.

1. Glock magazines
    2. Colt/UZI magazines

I was told that LRBO will not work with Glock magazines but it can be accomplished with option #2.

Is it critical to have the LRBO option or not. I was also told the filling the colt/ uzi magazines are a bit of a chore when going for full capacity on 30 round magazines.

I didn't find a speed loader for the colt/uzi magazines so I was leaning toward the Glock route. I don't own any Glocks so using magazines for a dual purpose is a mute point.

I could use some real suggestions on which way to go. Please refrain from bashing my AR choice as that would also be a mute point.

Any real suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

2. JHorne

JHorne Registered Member

Palmetto State Armory makes a Glock lower that has LRBHO. You have to use their upper, but if you look in the Hot Deals section, I posted both one sale (sold out now I believe) for a good price. As for reliability and such out of an AR style weapon in 9MM, I believe they have greatly improved over the last few years. I know several people on here personally own them and can attest to their strengths and weaknesses. I plan on building one eventually only because I already have a Scorpion SBR in 9mm so the more, the better! I'd prefer the glock just because it would allow me to use the ETS translucent Glock 31 or 22 rounders.
    http://www.etsgroup.us/ETS-Group-Glock-Magazines-s/1823.htm

Also, it's "moot point" not "mute point". Only mentioning it because you used it twice above.

3. jlpskydive

jlpskydive Staff Member Staff Member

I have the Colt version and really like it. Loading the mags are no big deal.

4. ZedHound

ZedHound Hall of Shame

I have glock mags cause they are cheaper and lighter. the bho is not a big deal I just rack it when I change mag

If I can share my opinion there's a lot of 9mm options now. Don't use PSA. You can find a few dedicated lowers from places like

Joe bobs
    Jse
    Unbrandedar

Along with barrels and bcgs. The rest is just ar parts

Magwarehouse for mags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker Registered Member

I have a 9mm ar15 that runs great. I bought a regular PSA lower then bought a promag drop in mag block for colt mags. The mag block is cheap and gets mixed reviews but mine has been flawless with the metal form mags. I went this route for 2 reasons. 1. I don't have a glock so I didn't have to worry about mag compatibility. If you have a glock and a bunch of mags then go with a dedicated glock mag lower. 2. With the drop in mag block you can remove it and swap the upper and you can use any of the other AR calibers.

6. tobrooks

tobrooks Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have a dedicated Colt 9mm lower that is STILL waiting approval. I could not stand it any longer so I got a mag block and put it in one of my other SBR'ed lowers. I have the metal form mags and it runs great. The upper has a 5.5 Adco barrel with a Gemtech Tundra. Like jlpskydive said loading the mags is really not a big deal once you get used to it.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I'd ask what you are expecting from it?

Plinking, 2GUN, uspsa PCC?
    Do you plan to suppress it?
    Do you reload?
    Optics or irons?
    Are you a trigger snob or is Usgi cool with you?
    Do you have any suppressor mounts already? If so, are they .5x28 or .5x36?

That info will give me a spot to start from.

8. Slacker

Here is my AR9 in action.
    Check out the gas around the charge handle shooting straight up.
    15625716_1287986731224397_4149716414736143200_o.jpg

ZedHound likes this.
  9. Phudd

Phudd Joe thinks I'm clever Club Subscribed

big thing with 9mm ARs, make sure your buffer/tube setup does not let the bolt go back any farther than is absolutely has to. If it over travels much at all the additional bolt mass will strike with enough force to break the bolt catch.

10. Roscoe

Roscoe Not Subscribed

If you choose the PSA 9mm dedicated lower you will need the PSA 9mm upper just as JHorne says. Use the PSA bcg too. I built one with the PSA upper and lower but used the Rock Rive Arms bcg which was a mistake. The Glock mags would not seat. Took it to a GS where he shave some material off of the bolt. It works fine with the 31 mags but still will not accept the mags from my 19. PSA like RRA are company specific.

11. bimmerland

It's basically a self defense and range gun. I don't want to go the NFA route since I'm not going to suppress it. Also it's a lot easier to go between state lines if isn't NFA. I plan on a simple red dot even though it comes with flip up sights. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

12. bimmerland

Thanks for all your kind replies. The builder is a company out of Advance NC called Stryker Machine and Tool. His work is exemplary. .

13. John Galt

John Galt Member

The bigger problem is breaking lower hammer and trigger pins if you don't have a ramped bolt.

slab75 likes this.
  14. Converted Yankee

Converted Yankee Member

Yep. Broke mine on my first ar9mm (DDLES).

Installed the non rotating pins (KNS i think?) and they seemed to resolve the issue.

NCAV8TOR likes this.
  15. JHorne

JHorne Registered Member

Why not use PSA? Have you actually owned one?

16. ZedHound

ZedHound Hall of Shame

Yeah I do and I wish I didn't. I also have had an ar15 from them and it's shit too. So is there CS.

Do you own anything else or you just a fking troll?

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

17. tobrooks

tobrooks Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I'll have to disagree with your assessment of PSA. Though I don't own or have shot any of their 9mm AR's I have purchased lots of items from them the last couple of years. Aside from one bad hammer (which they promptly replaced)I have had no issues with their guns or parts. I placed an order Monday night and it was delivered Wednesday morning. I have seen multiple post about issues with them but that has not been the case in any of my dealings. Plus they also have some pretty amazing deals around holidays.

18. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

LRBHO would not be that big of an issue for me, but I have a 9mm AR built on a DDLES Glock mag lower and it has LRBHO.

NCAV8TOR likes this.
  19. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Not having LRBHO would not be an issue for me, but I have a 9mm AR built on a DDLES Glock mag lower that does have LRBHO.

NCAV8TOR likes this.
  20. Phudd

Phudd Joe thinks I'm clever Club Subscribed

I bought a 10.5" PSA 9mm kit that I pinned/welded a 6" brake on for a carbine. I had been buying a few parts to build one so I had a bolt already. I ended up making a 5.5" pistol upper and assembled a pistol with a shockwave blade. Both use colt type mags and mag adapters from PSA and both run flawlessly.

tobrooks likes this.
  21. NCAV8TOR

NCAV8TOR Lifetime Member CSC, NRA, GRNC Lifetime Member

Speed loaders are made for the Colt SMG magazines. And imho, loading 42 rounds into any extended magazine is a pain in the butt without a speed loader. The one shown below works very well and it is available from Amazon shipped for about $30 (if your a Prime member) or from Midway USA for a few dollars less but then you will have to pay shipping.

22. NCAV8TOR

I should also say that Taylor Freelance makes magazine extenders for both the Glock and Colt/Tavor SMG magazines that will give you an extra 9-10 rounds.

23. JHorne

JHorne Registered Member

I asked a legit question, your half-assed comment with no detail makes you the troll. Yes, I own a PSA upper, BCM, Spikes, S&W, and have owned a few others.

Maybe instead of posting a single OPINION with no details you try to actually add to the thread by posting some details and facts to support your opinion. Notice how others did that and posted both their opinion and supporting facts? Think you could try that? Especially since you've been a member for all of 5 months.

24. NCAV8TOR

New Frontier Armory has their C9 billet upper and lowers in the Glock format that also have the LRBHO. That is what my build was based on.

25. Slacker

My next upper will be a NFA upper and faxon bbl.

NCAV8TOR likes this.