"Best" AR-10?

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by Flashpoint, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Last Christmas I posted asking for input selecting a scope my friend's mother could get him for Christmas. This year she wants to get him a rifle he wants, and he wants an AR-10 in 308. Budget is around $1K, up to say $1400. The recipient likes owning quality things, but will in all probability never come close to exploiting the difference between a $900 vs a $1600 rifle's capabilities. Not that he is not capable, he just never invests enough time to learn about long range shooting and I don't see that changing. He envisions shooting 600 to 700 yards.

So although I think a DPMS would serve him well I'm leaning toward a S&W okr Armalite just due to the "bragging rights" factor.

I admit I have no experience with any AR-10, my knowledge consists of only random comments I have read here. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. 1406

1406 Provider of Facts

I think that Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 is an awesome "AR-style" firearm. It's certainly not semi-automatic but it's got my attention for my next long gun purchase.

Mark Brooks likes this.
  3. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

Aero Precision

jeffncs likes this.
  4. simple

simple Member

image.jpeg I'm pretty satisfied with my RRA LAR X1. Sub $1600 off GB. I chose it over the Ruger, which is a fine rifle, because of the 18" barrel. I guess that makes me think it's more of a distance rifle. Who knows.

5. Flashpoint

Yes I held one, they are very impressive. I think this needs to be semi auto though.

6. fieldgrade

fieldgrade is gone Lifetime Member

I waited quite a while for the new Barnes to come out, I guess it was last year, but had a reality check when I saw the price at basically 2x their .556 rifles.
    $2500 i think.

nchiker1 likes this.
  7. Mark Brooks

Mark Brooks Registered Member

I love mine. Great shooter , very well built.

8. Climberman

Climberman Well-Known Member

Is that street price?

9. sdiver2006

sdiver2006 Well-Known Member

give him pieces parts, and have him build his own. that way you can spend more here and less there.

My 2 cents

10. fieldgrade

fieldgrade is gone Lifetime Member

FG&G, sometime in the past 12 months.

11. charlie

charlie Registered Member

I have a Sig and a S&W. Both have been flawless through several thousand rounds. The Sig is a piston drive while the S&W is a DI. The S&W is a good bit lighter, and I generally carry it deer hunting more than the Sig. Both use the same style magazines that are readily available.

They may not be the "best", whatever that is, but they are accurate and they have functioned properly 100% of the time I have shot them. I am sure some other brands would do the same.

12. chuckman

chuckman Well-Known Member

I would hardly call an Armalite, S&W, or a DPMS anything worthy of bragging rights. But for what he intends to do, any of those are fine choices. I like the DPMS SASS, but anything they make (or S&W or Armalite....) will do well with a decent scope and decent loads....

13. Flashpoint

No doubt you are correct, but I just feel that DPMS has more of a negative connotation to some, not specifically to their AR-10s though.

14. chuckman

chuckman Well-Known Member

You know, that name and "AR15" don't seem to mix well any longer. But they can build the hell of a .308 platform. I would never own a DPMS AR15. But I tried to trade my Daniel Defense M4 for a DMPS SASS if that says anything (other than I am crazy....).

15. Flashpoint

Just spoke with a dude at PDHSC and he is recommending the Diamondback 308 AR. He has two at very good prices but says they are great rifles. Anyone here know anything about them?

16. Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

The DPMS SASS is a great rifle. Not that my opinion counts but I've spent some time behind one. If I had the money I'd have one in my safe

chuckman likes this.
  17. legBone

legBone Registered Member

I have the S&W and have been very happy with it. Accuracy is good and light weight is better. Oldest brother bought one after shooting mine. He had FTF issues - sent it back - and now has been happy with his also. Good service and timely turnaround.

18. elenaidan

elenaidan Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I am not for telling others what to buy, so I will just say this. In the AR10 line I have owned and shot

LMT
    POF
    FN Scar
    FN AR (like a Browning BAR)
    H$K
    Sig Sauer
    Larue OBR

All that being said, define the use it is intended to suit and a price point you can afford. They are all expensive to buy and expensive to operate. If you are only hunting then almost any of them will suffice. If you want something that Military and LE have given their blessings then you are going to pay for it. Just my two cents.

YeeHaa likes this.
  19. jeffncs

jeffncs Member

I'm very happy with my Aero Precision

20. AsheMtnMan

AsheMtnMan Member

M&P 10 is an excellent choice. S&W has great customer service and their quality is very good as well. Rifle has a mid length gas system, weight is very good for a 308 platform. Ambi controls are a nice plus and it uses Magpul mags so that keeps magazine costs down. Take a look at the Nutn Fancy review of the M&P 10.

bigfutz likes this.
  21. 11B CIB

22. YeeHaa

YeeHaa Well-Known Member

LoL,
    Reminds me when I used to get all the , "What's the best TV" questions.
    Answer, "One that Works."

elenaidan likes this.
  23. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military Club Subscribed

I have or have had, Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, Ruger, and Windham Weaponry AR10s. The Ruger and WW had to go back to the factory, but they were returned fixed in a timely manner and both were early production bugs. I would buy either one again except for the Bushmaster. I don't have a problem with it, but it is the older full length rifle that was discontinued years ago. There is absolutely no market for it these days.

24. davekeller

davekeller Registered Member

I removed the A2 awhile back and went with a collapsible stock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Hammer21B

Hammer21B U. S. Military

Yup, I have a DB in 5.56, 7.5 inch barrel. It's OK at best, go with something different.

26. 11B CIB

...and switched to a NF scope

Great looking rig

Makes me want to ditch my R700 and build an AR10

27. davekeller

davekeller Registered Member

Yeah the NF scope is temporarily on there until my custom bolt gun is built. I couldn't let it sit in the safe and not be on a rifle!

28. ZedHound

ZedHound Hall of Shame

Lol of course he recommends them... he's got 2 to sell that probably have been sitting there for months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. charlie

charlie Registered Member

Just a question a little off the main topic, but does a DI gas system need some alteration when a suppressor is used? Does the suppressor cause the system to be overgassed?

30. bigfutz

bigfutz Registered Member

Did you replace the buffer tube with a standard AR-15 length and a short buffer, a long tube and standard AR-15 buffer, or something else?