bound book question

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics' started by Catfish, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

So this one isn't covered in the ATF FAQ...

1) I buy a sporterized mauser. It's not C&R because it's not in original configuration, so I don't log it.
    2) I buy a replacement stock
    3) I return it to it's original military configuration thereby making it C&R eligible.

Do I have to log it in my bound book now or only if/when I sell it?

2. tsconver

tsconver Sponsor Club Subscribed

call and ask

3. lucky13bullets

lucky13bullets Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

i am probly wrong on this, but isnt the date of manufacture what determines c&r

how would being "sporterized" change that?

htperry likes this.
  4. Catfish

From the ATF C&R page:
    also here: http://www.nibin.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html#modifications

lucky13bullets likes this.
  5. lucky13bullets

lucky13bullets Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

"original"

that is what got you...

6. cubrock

cubrock Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Catfish,

Your gun was still in its original configuration as far as ATF is concerned, even though the stock was cut. It still had its military parts, especially the barreled action. It was not a bare receiver or customized into a sporting rifle by rebarreling, etc. See here:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-firearms-are-considered-be-curio-and-relic-firearms

7. Boozoo

Boozoo Registered Member

I have to agree with cubrock. Also, I've always figured it was safer to log it than not if there was any doubt.

8. Picker

Picker Member

I always had the understanding that anytime you used your 03FFL to purchase a firearm it had to be listed in your BB. Any C&R you purchase without using that license or before you had that license is in your personal collection and only subject to being listed in your BB if you desire to transfer it from from your personal collection. As far as converting a sporter back to original condition, I would think it would still be in your personal collection, not subject to having to be listed in your BB unless you just choose to do so or wish to sell it through your o3FFL.

9. Catfish

I'm not sure I follow that logic. I'm one person, I have an 03 FFL, it's not a separate business entity.
    But that link @cubrock posted says pretty clearly that the gun has to be "original military configuration" and that frames and receivers aren't eligible. What I purchased was a barrel/receiver in a replacement sporter stock. The original stock and bayo lug were not present therefore it was not complete.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  10. Picker

Picker Member

Right, one person, but you have your personal collection of firearms and your C&R collection that you purchased using your 03FFL or transfered from your personal collection. You only have to list in your BB, firearms you purchased using your license. Any other firearms you list are only listed because you chose to transfer them to your BB C&R collection from your personal collection, but you are not required to list your personal collection in your BB. Example, if I go to Gouger Mtn and buy a Mosin, but I do not use my C&R license to purchase it, and buy it just like anyone else would, I am not required to list it in my BB. It is in my personal collection, not my licensed C&R collection. But if I purchase it using my C&R license to get a discount for example then that purchase must be listed in my BB. At least that is my understanding of it.

11. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I'm afraid your understanding is incorrect. Any C&R eligible firearm should go in the book. Doesn't matter if you used your license or not. This has been discussed in various forums over and over and the feedback from the ATF is that any qualifying firearm should be recorded. You don't have two separate collections....

12. Picker

Picker Member

Just because it is eligible for C&R status, does not mean it must be transferred to your BB. Only firearms that are bought and sold using your C&R license must be listed in your BB. A private purchase or sale is still private. However, you may transfer any C&R eligible firearms you own to your BB, but you are not required to by law unless they are bought or sold using your 03FFL.

13. Catfish

Doubling down on the bad info... You don't have to convince me. Since all my questions here seem to fall under the "10 people, 12 opinions" category I'll dig out the book they sent with my license and figure it out.

FINO and Chdamn like this.
  14. Picker

Picker Member

15. Catfish

C&R is specifically not a business licence so that section seems to be directed to 01 FFL holders

16. bondjamesbond

bondjamesbond Прошлой неделе

Put it in the book. Better safe than sorry.

17. Herkybird72

Herkybird72 Registered Member

Any C&R acquired while you have a license must be logged in your BB. If it is not a C&R by definition then it does not. If it is returned to original condition then it should be placed in the BB. C&R acquired prior to being licensed do not have to be placed in the BB but the disposition must be documented if you dispose of it while you are licensed.

18. JimB

JimB Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I'm curious what you found. I looked at this issue a few years ago when I got my 003 and came to the same conclusion that Picker did, that me and me with an 003 are distinct entities. May be wrong, and so far nothing bad has happened. I've decided to give up my 003 next time it comes up for renewal.

I hope you didn't call them and ask for clarification, but either way I'm curious what you found.

19. Catfish

I didn't dig any deeper or ask any questions. I just figured it would be faster and easier to put a few items in my book than to dig up a definitive answer. Sorry, no new info.

20. mckenziedrums

mckenziedrums Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

It's generally accepted all items go into the book if they are C&R. That's because there is no separate business entity like you'd have with an 01 FFL. Big difference there...

21. FINO

FINO Registered Member

the book is best . most disputes with laws com from books that are a persons opinion of what the laws says as if no one can understand written words. In a non corrupt court the decisions are based on the law as written, that is why a copy of the laws should always be the winner.