BuckMark takedown with red dot

Discussion in 'Rimfire pistol' started by Lucky10, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Lucky10

Lucky10 Registered Member

I like the Buckmark and considered buying one but the only reasonable I haven't is bc of the takedown with red dot. Maybe I'm missing something.... doing to the placement of the take down screws it appears if you run a red dot on a buckmark, you would have to remove your red dot every time when taking the gun down to clean and then requiring you to rezero your red dot. Seems very aggravating and frustrating to me. The only way to avoid that would be maybe to run a 90 degree mount and then maybe the mount screws and take down screws placement may avoid removing red dot every time, maybe? Please give some advice on this.
    Thanks

2. mikep7m10

mikep7m10 Registered Member

IIRC, with some of the smaller based red dots, you can get the sight between the screws. I took mine off because I was faster with iron sights. I don't remember having to re-zero the sight when I was using it though. A quick detach level base might be more convenient and they are designed for repeatability.

It's not just takedown for cleaning to be concerned with. Buckmarks are known for their top rail screws loosening from shooting. The top becomes slightly loose and the gun starts malfunctioning. So that's another reason to have access to the screws - and an allen wrench in the shooting bag.

3. Cmercaldo

Cmercaldo Registered Member

I find that my buckmark doesn't seem to get as dirty as my rugers. I have ran 5 matches with practice time between and still haven't broken it all the way down to clean it..
    Clean bolt face and run a bore snake in it... now that I say this I will more then likely have many problems my next time I shoot it... haha

Chilly636 likes this.
  4. Chilly636

Chilly636 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Maybe at worlds :D I need the head start.

5. ERE99

ERE99 Member

I shoot an older slab side Buckmark with a Match-dot sight in bullseye at our local club. I clean and re-zero 1 time a year. That`s after about 1200rds