Build AR10 - .308

Discussion in 'Military, Military Inspired Weapons, and C&R' started by ScottR, Dec 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ScottR

ScottR Registered Member

Looking to build an AR10, wanting to see if anyone has any experience on a build like this. Any manufactures to stay away from or any that are good and should look at? Thanks for the input.

2. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Registered Member

I just built one using a Ballistic Advantage barrel. Like the 5.56 barrels the gas port seems to be sized as small as possible. Very little felt recoil and limited blowback, even suppressed, compaired to every other 308 AR I've shot. I went with a 16" Middy. Nothing wrong with DPMS recievers but Aero are often a better value and look a little better. You have to match the rail to the upper because there is a Low and Hi style. Aero is DPMS Hi and most aftermarket rails are DPMS Lo.

3. Shortfuze

Shortfuze U. S. Military Club Subscribed

Aero presision is my go to for AR10 stripped lowers and uppers including integral handguard uppers. I usualy sorce the smaller stuff like bcg barrel and lpk's from whomever has a sale going on the parts I want at the time. Aero produces low and high uppers so whatever you want is there. Watch their sale section for new deals every week.

4. ScottR

ScottR Registered Member

Almost every where I have looked people have said to go with Aero Precision for the base of the build. So I will be looking at them for that part. I am new to building AR's and the 308 cal so will have a lot of research to do to get a good happy machine going.

5. NCAV8TOR

NCAV8TOR Lifetime Member CSC, NRA, GRNC Lifetime Member

I bought an Aero Precision upper & lower from a member vendor here. It also came with a Palmetto BCG/CH & a Anderson 16 in. (I think) barrel. I later replaced the barrel and bcg with Aero Precision parts. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the parts I replaced but I did want it to be as much all Aero Precision parts as I could make it. The only thing not AE on it now is the stock and the forward grip.

So, if you are looking for a good deal on a 16 inch barrel and a BCG/CH, drop me a PM and you'll be able to save some cash on your build.

6. sdiver2006

sdiver2006 Well-Known Member

Scott I am doing a .308 build using an upper and lower from Delphi Tactical here in raeford

7. ScottR

ScottR Registered Member

Thanks I am looking at doing a 18 to 20 in barrel, but still doing research.

8. ScottR

ScottR Registered Member

I will have to look in to them. May run over to them at some point to check them out. You get a complete stripped upper and lower?

9. sdiver2006

sdiver2006 Well-Known Member

Yes I did stripped kit..plus he is local...
    I also got a ar15 set from him

10. Bigtigga01

Bigtigga01 Registered Member

I'm working on my second 308 and i bought a mega arms maten billet upper/lower receiver set this go around. My first 308 was a PSA upper/lower set and it was very sloppy. The mega is very tight with no movement and has an adjustment screw and ambidextrous bolt release. Just another option for your build.

11. ShooterScott

ShooterScott Registered Member

I'm think of building one as well. Let me know how it goes and what the final cost is.

12. Joe30045

Joe30045 Registered Member

Started a build with a Core 30 Upper and Lower Receiver set, had some issues fitting an aftermarket trigger. Ordered an Aero Precision set and everything went together solid. Has been a year or so ago, but is documented here somewhere.

13. Barrett

Barrett Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Contacted Black Rifle Works here in Garner to have a .308 built. I know how to do it, I just don't have time. Besides, they do really good work and use Aero Precision lowers and uppers and quality barrels and components.