Carry in a bank

Discussion in 'NC Concealed Carry' started by rcam, Feb 4, 2017.

1. rcam

rcam Registered Member

Is it legal in NC to carry in a bank if your a CWP holder? I've ask police and the ATF and nobody seems to know. Thanks

2. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military Club Subscribed

That is why you go to the NC legislature website and become familiar with the laws you should have been taught during your CHP course. Most if not all of the CHP/Firearm stuff is in Chapter 14, and may redirect you to other statutes.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/Statutes/StatutesTOC.pl

Neckball and canman like this.
  3. jebnc

jebnc Registered Member

Good question recam. I took my NC-CWP 15 years ago. The laws are always changing and this old brain isn't what it use to be. I now live in SC and got my SC-CWP three years ago and still have difficulty keeping up with the gun laws. I wish someone would put on a class with just gun laws. I think if the class was cheap or better yet free, maybe sponsored my one of our gun groups. Seems like most instructors (including the NRA) want to made firearms instruction a "side job or profit center". I never charged for a class in my life. I always had a real job and I just instruction because I love teaching people the shooting sports.

So all you CWP instructors: I do understand and think you SHOULD charge for CPW instruction. That is a different matter all together.

4. nbkky71

nbkky71 Registered Member

The statute that you're looking for is NCGS 14-415.11. Financial institutions were removed but if the bank is posting a "no ccw allowed" sign, that carries legal weight.

Lord of War likes this.
  5. jrgreen

jrgreen My Mom says I'm cool.

Depends on the sign on the door.

Lord of War likes this.
  6. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

I carry in my local bank all the time. It used to be "Southern Community" and now its "Capital Bank." One of our members was on the mgt. team, and when they first posted the signs after they removed banks from the automatic ban from carrying, we approached them and threatened to remove our business/ personal accounts from there, and they changed their policy.

Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to find a new business if they don't comply.

canman likes this.
  7. Clint Hilbert

Clint Hilbert Sponsor

Yes, unless there is a sign prohibiting the entry of firearms and the sign must be conspicuously posted.

8. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

My bank too but very rural location. It would take them 3 days to find a sign, another 2 to find the door, they would eventually lose interest.

9. firemedic54

firemedic54 Well-Known Member

I quit "looking" for signs years ago. Now if they put it in neon colors, in big letters, at eye level, I guess I would see it.

Lord of War likes this.
  10. Beachdude

Beachdude Registered Member

Same as South Carolina.