Caswell game land public range

Discussion in 'Trainers, Training Facilities and Ranges' started by Slacker, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Stopped by yesterday to see how it's held up to the general public. The port a potty was clean, there was no trash and the road was well kept. I was impressed.
    The words free, public & range put together usually equal nightmare so my expectations were low.

I was glad to see one of the younger guys calling the range cold and casually walking the line checking chambers then calling it safe to go down range.

A couple folks asked about the suppressor on my carbine. I try to be an ambassador for NFA so I was happy to talk to them. Lots of misinformation about NFA floating around. Especially with the older "NRA certified" crowd.

My one mistake was wearing electronic muffs. I could hear conversations from the other lanes. The amount of BS heard per minute per shooter was distracting.

"Firearms instructor"
    "NRA certified"
    "when I was in the 'Nam"
    "4000 fps"

Usually heard from the 50+ year old guy shooting a 1911 with a full teacup grip cutting the target stands in half like a meth fueled beaver.

The younger crowd shooting Grocks and such were much more proficient in both technique and on target results.

I'll stop by again next year. It's definitely an experience.

NoKimberDave and drypowder like this.
  2. elenaidan

elenaidan Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Been there several times. Always a good experience. May go again this Friday, before going to the Intro to Trace Armory class.

3. Terror

Terror Registered Member

Are there any fees or training needed to shoot there? Don't see anything on their web site but want to make sure before I go out there.

4. geerubb

geerubb Member

I haven't been in awhile, but there were no fees or training needed when I went last year. I think they have since added a range officer to look over things, but it was very casual when I was there.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Just show up and shoot.

6. Terror

Terror Registered Member

Thanks guys