Concealed Carry at Meymandi Concert Hall?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry | National 2A Laws' started by Wellardmac, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Wellardmac

Wellardmac Not Subscribed

I have a question that I'd like some guidance on. I attended a concert at the Meymandi concert hall in Raleigh last night. Gun prohibition signs are posted on most of the doors.

If my recollection of the State Preemption laws that were passed a couple of years ago is correct, then these signs should be illegal. Am I mis-remembering, or misunderstanding? Do the signs have any legal standing?

My interpretation is that Meymandi is owned by the city of Raleigh and under state pre-emption they have no legal way of prohibiting concealed carry at the venue, is that correct?

Thanks~!

2. Wellardmac

Anyone?

3. SigP229R

SigP229R Registered Member

Check with www.handgunlaws.us it will give you a map just click on the state and it will bring up their laws.Best I remember from my class about twelve years ago is that any paid venue such as movies and concerts parades funerals etc were on the no carry list and I don't remember if that change when our laws were updated.

4. Rdinatal

Rdinatal Well-Known Member

I think that's changed...

-R

5. Wellardmac

It did, so if this were a private venue, such as DBAP, then they can legal prohibit carry, but my understanding is that with this being government owned entity, then it cannot preempt state law which does not specifically allow the city to prohibit carry outside of government offices... I just want to be sure I'm seeing this the right way.

6. AsheMtnMan

AsheMtnMan Member

It sure would be nice if local govt followed state CWP laws.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  7. Wellardmac

Well, just because they post does not make it legal or enforceable. The city also posts parking decks in Raleigh - those signs are clearly illegal and you are totally able to ignore them, as they're unenforceable. My sense is that's also the case with Meymandi also, but I was hoping that someone else had thought about it and reached a conclusion.