Confronted Unwelcomed Guest in My Home

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry | National 2A Laws' started by bmmechan, Dec 2, 2016.

1. bmmechan

bmmechan Registered Member

So I just got home, pulled into the drive way and opened up the garage. But I don’t park in it because I let the wife park her car instead. But she gets home usually within 10 minutes of me so I don’t lock the door, we live in a quiet, small suburb. Most neighbor’s leave their garages open most of the day on the weekends, we walk over to our neighbor’s house and usually just go right in. So since she is normally behind me with kid in tow, leaving the door unlocked with just me makes it easier for her. However, I normally lock the door after she gets home. So just another normal day.

Well after a couple of minutes of being home I am standing at the edge of the hallway from my kitchen to the garage and all of a sudden I hear and see the garage door open expecting to see my wife. However, a young male pokes his head in and begins to enter my home as if he was looking for something. So I am standing there looking at him and for a split second I am taken back for a WTF kind of moment and then I start to be confrontational. I am shouting commands at him, which I cannot exactly recall but they were in the spirit of “you are in the wrong house” . . . “Get the F&** out” in repetition. Either way he continues to enter my home and stands there but has this 1,000 yard look on his face and even makes me think that he doesn’t see me. So my mind is racing, I begin to pull my pocket knife out, which is an EDC style with G10 grips, etc. Reason is he was literally 4 paces from me and my CCW was in a case on the kitchen counter, other side of the kitchen next to my phone, that I wouldn’t have been able to get to in time, open it up and retrieve it fast enough to counter him if he decided to come at me with a weapon or he would be towards my back. This kid had like 6 inches on me but he was scrawny and wearing minimal clothing so I made the decision to stand my ground and face the threat with what I had.

But this all takes place over a few seconds, I am giving him commands as I begin to grasp my knife but as I assess the situation and him, I get the impression that he was special needs rather than under the influence of a drug or of sane mind willing to commit violence. His hands were contorted like curved up, his body language wasn’t aggressive, he was looking around as if he was confused, and didn’t seem to even look at me once, he just stood there but then he began to slowly move towards me. I still didn’t feel like he was going to be violent however I don’t know this kid and never seen him before so I didn’t take a chance. So that’s when I made the decision to back up towards my CCW while keeping my front towards him, all the while still giving him commands to stop and get out. Which he wasn’t going to do. So as soon as I had positive retention of my CCW, I took my grasp of it and pointed it at his chest while giving him commands and it didn’t phase him. So I then had the idea if we wasn’t going to turn around then maybe I could lead him out.

So I lowered my CCW to the low ready and gestured with my support hand to follow me and said “hey come this way . . .yeah follow me . . lets go. . .” while I was backing up to the front door. I still kept him in front of me in case it went south, but this way I didn’t have to try and turn him around, just needed him to walk straight. Thinking he was special needs, I didn’t want to touch him or get physical in any way because I wanted to keep my distance but also any type of physical contact could set him off. And it worked, he followed me and walked right out the front door. However right as that was occurring my wife pulls up into the drive way with my son. So once I get the front door closed I made a bee line to the garage and yelled at her to shut the garage, but also yelling at him to keep walking because I didn’t want him going back in there especially with my son right there. So I was going back forth telling her to close the garage and for him to keep moving and my wife thought I was losing my mind. Even though he walked right behind her car she never once saw him. Right after it happened I called 911 to report it and as I was just about to talk to the dispatcher when one of my neighbors comes whipping around the corner in his car and just about parks in my front yard to talk to me and I immediately knew the two situations were related. So as the situation turns out, the guy was autistic and lived a couple houses down the street, but I have never seen him before. And he gets confused easily and basically didn’t know where he was and for the most part what he was doing. So I tell my neighbor what happened and the direction he went in, he then peels out and finds the guy a street over so crisis averted.

So the take aways -

1. Always always always lock your doors even if its for a couple of minutes or a small inconvenience. This is a duh uh moment, but all it takes is once and the one time I didn’t lock the door this happens. Even if your wife gives you lip and thinks your nuts.

2. Assess the situation and the threat, I didn’t need to get physical and I didn’t need to discharge my weapon all because he wasn’t following my commands. I could tell something wasn’t right with him off the bat.

3. Always keep distance because the situation could change in a heartbeat and be prepared if it does.

4. Keep the threat at your front, don’t let it get behind you

5. Move move move, if I just stood my ground and expected him to move, the situation could have escalated over a misunderstanding and here I am, a 5’10 and in shape veteran, with a dead autistic and unarmed scrawny, but tall, 18 year old on my floor. . . . guess how that would have gone over in the courts?

Stay safe and keep your situational awareness sharp at all times!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  2. jlpskydive

jlpskydive Staff Member Staff Member

All I can say is well done Sir and glad that it had a happy ending. Mistaking that kid for a threat and then living with what you did (no fault of your own) would have been very tough to live with.

JHorne, jarheadrule, Krabba and 4 others like this.
  3. fieldgrade

fieldgrade is gone Lifetime Member

Ho-Lee crap. Good on you for handling it the way you did. You've got to feel for that parent of that kid, too. As I started reading your account it reminded me why I carry even in the house (home office).

lucky13bullets and Flashpoint like this.
  4. majdurham

majdurham Sensitivity/Anti-Harassment Trainer Club Subscribed

Wow, glad it turned out the way it did for you. As stated above, good job on threat assessment and keeping your cool.

lucky13bullets likes this.
  5. bmmechan

I normally have my ccw with me around the house, like if I am outside in the garage I have it on my bench, If I am upstairs I have it with me too. After this happened my mind went to how I could carry it on body around the house more often. . . because when "IT" happens it happens fast and without warring . .. so I totally agree with you.

jerz_subbie and fieldgrade like this.
  6. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Good on you for using your head first.

7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade is gone Lifetime Member

I didn't always carry in the house until one of my adult kids had a home invasion at 4AM while he was at home a few miles away. One of the things that was stolen had his "permanent address" on it (which is my house) so I've always had it in the back of my mind that I might have a visitor sometime since one of the guys is in the slammer now with no bail, but the other one is still loose.

fishgutzy likes this.
  8. toddje

toddje ethical server guy

I am very glad we were are not reading about a shooting of a confused autstic kid on the news, with the "evil veteran" (who might have even had an evil black plastic fully-automatic assault handgun) in jail. Good work.

The big take-away here is that a gun is a very, very specific tool for a very small/specific problem set. In the context of self-defense, lots of problems are not gun problems. This was one of them. Glad you had your wits and training.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Wahoo95 likes this.
  9. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

I carry my Glock 19 in the house, no exceptions (although I usually open carry at home vs IWB). People think I'm crazy....but stuff like this happens DAILY. Being 20 feet from your weapon if someone comes in your house, you may as well be 20 miles.

Otherwise, excellent awareness. I'm glad you managed to stay safe despite him advancing on you, and recognizing that he might not be understanding what you're commanding.

10. trcubed

trcubed well...bye Lifetime Member

You did an excellent job of protecting yourself AND that kid, brother. Outstanding!

11. Geezer

Geezer Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Glad it turned out for the good. Carry every day, every step.

12. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

I'm glad it turned out the way it did. Legally I think you would have been alright if it had ended badly. The castle doctrine is pretty cut and dried. However that would have been a tough mental rock to carry the rest of your life had you not used your head.

I think there was some luck involved here. Had you had your pistol on you, you might have ended the threat before realizing what it was.

People seem to forget that an intruder into your home is a threat. It is an unknown entity without permission to be there. That is a threat. It turned out that this particular threat was a confused and mentally handicapped person and you were able to diffuse the threat without violence.

I feel for his family. And I hope this doesn't happen to him again because next time it may go differently and that would be sad.

13. Windini

Windini Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Good

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Tailhunter likes this.
  14. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

You got lucky, REAL lucky.... Go buy a lottery ticket post haste.
    Why have a gun if it isn't on you when you need it?? Thank God this time it went well but what about next time?? Learn from your mistake.... What's to say the next one just acts like he's mentally challenged ????

15. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

I think I would just give up if I had shot a kid with learning disabilities. Man, what a tough ride that would be.

How old do you think he was?

16. Matt.Cross

Matt.Cross Well-Known Member

As the parent of an autistic child, you have my gratitude for keeping your head on your shoulders, observing his behavior carefully, and getting him out of your home without hurting him. It's painful to imagine that my own boy might unwittingly enter a dwelling at his own peril. Thanks for sharing this, it's a great heads up for parents of special needs children.

17. Just Keep Swimming

Just Keep Swimming Hall of Shame

Great thread and thank you for posting your experience. I will echo others sentiments and am thankful for you, your family, the young man and his family in that it all worked out the way it did.

A lot to learn from and think about with your post. I'm glad your family wasn't in the house already when this happened as I would have to believe the outcome may have been different.

I can't remember the exact quote but it has something to do with the very best weapon you have is the one between your ears. Nicely done Sir.

toddje likes this.
  18. trcubed

trcubed well...bye Lifetime Member

You guys hit the nail squarely on the head. Luck had nothing to do with this situation turning out like it did.

19. bmmechan

I think between 16 to 18 from what a neighbor told me, after the fact, but looking at him you could have guessed he was 21 or older, he certainly didn't look young.

20. Tailhunter

Wow.
    Thank you for observing and not just reacting.

21. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

I think you're talking about the Mad Dog Mattis quote. "The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.”

22. Just Keep Swimming

Just Keep Swimming Hall of Shame

Yes Sir! That's the one. Thank you.

23. Va_Gentleman

Va_Gentleman Cook Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Nicely done.

24. jerz_subbie

jerz_subbie Active Member

First, glad to hear it all worked out well, great job using your brain in a stressful situation. Second, thanks for sharing; in reality these are the kind of situations were all most likely to encounter, ones where we could use our weapons but other solutions may be much better.

This is one more example of why I always carry at home. After showing my wife that video of the NJ woman who got beat senseless on a nanny cam, she understood why.

This also reminds me of something I've thought about posting recently and have done myself for the past 5yr. It's a good idea to have means of defense OTHER than your pistol/rifle. A knife is less than ideal but better than nothing, but thinking about legal liability and the ability to handle dangerous but not yet deadly situations, keeping some quality OC (pepper spray) on hand and in your vehicle is very cheap insurance and a cheap addition to your "tool box". Some Sabre Red is under $20 on Amazon or at Academy.

25. glockman30

glockman30 Member

That is keeping your calm in a tough situation. Great of you to be level headed enough during this to see there may have been an issue before it escalated.

26. ConcreteJungle

ConcreteJungle Registered Member

My neighborhood is similar, people leave their garage doors open all day as well. They're open when I leave for work and they're still open when I get back home sometimes pretty late into the night.
    I can't do that..i'm afraid someone will steal my bikes/tools regardless of how safe I think the neighborhood is.

Glad a crisis was avoided and it ended up being a non-situation.

27. Cavalier777

Cavalier777 Registered Member

This is why I always try to have my CC in the same room as my person, with my person generally between the weapon and access point (doors, ground level windows, etc).

28. Wahoo95

Wahoo95 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Proof again that everybody don't need shootin

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

soreshoulder likes this.
  29. Tailhunter

Not everybody ....

30. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

I'm really glad it ended safely for everyone.