CSC and GRNC sponsorship?

Discussion in 'Grass Roots North Carolina (GRNC)' started by JohnFreeman, Jan 5, 2017.

1. JohnFreeman

JohnFreeman Registered Member

I'm surprised to have heard that CSC's parent company refused to renew sponsorship of GRNC?

Well...maybe not surprised.

2. thewallrus

thewallrus Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Is this true?

3. JohnFreeman

Crickets.....

Yes it's true. It's also not surprising.

4. Djstorm100

Djstorm100 Carolina Firearms F Club Subscribed

Let me show you my surprised face....

You guys have any info?
    @NEO[/USER] @soreshoulder

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2017
  5. NEO

NEO Staff Member Staff Member

No info. In the past we gave them the banner here. They never paid us for sponsorship. I think one year we actually paid GRNC $500 for a sponsorship on their site.

6. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

No, I don't have any info.

We paid to sponsor them at one time and gave them the banner ad, but I don't think its as exciting as someone "Refusing to renew a sponsorship"

7. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

Refusing to renew a free sponsorship? Maybe?

8. NCTiger

NCTiger Staff Member Staff Member

It's kinda hard to renew a sponsorship if you never paid for one.

9. eddie0225

eddie0225 Member

sponsorship isn't always a pay for thing you know that tiger. I mean everyone knows what the GRNC stands for

10. JohnFreeman

Ok let me more acceptably word it:

CSC (and another forum) paid to sponsor them at one time and gave them the banner ad.

The new owners have declined to renew this.

Is that better?

11. NCTiger

Hi eddie, you are correct. We all know what GRNC stands for and from what I understand CSC supported them and apparently comped them a banner so to speak. With new owners, they are well within their rights to make their own business decisions. That doesn't make them bad guys, just people that are trying to do business and turn a profit.

12. JohnFreeman

.... no matter what principles they surrender.....

13. NCTiger

What principles are being surrendered? It's just a business decision. Let's say, I own a store and every time you come in, I give you a free cup of coffee (because I like you and see the benefit of our association). Then one day I sell the store, do you really expect the new owner to comp you stuff. It's not going to happen.

14. eddie0225

eddie0225 Member

exactly that is one of the reasons why so many felt the way they did about having a corporation own the forum. Everyone knows it costs nothing to put a banner of that size on this size and the goodwill toward the state organization would've been felt as being helpful but the damage is already done. Odd that you seem to be going for the corporation instead of the GRNC

15. eddie0225

eddie0225 Member

no a person wouldn't expect it either but the people on this forum was told that the sell was nothing more than mainly to help with up keep of the site and basically it would continue as before....... seems like things are changing more like a not so friendly community type forum but just a plain ole give me your money or move on

16. NCTiger

I am not saying I like it, I am just saying that I understand business decisions. Actually, other than advertising being handled like a business, I don't see how this changes anything. As a rule, I dislike most all corporation, but I don't see this as some heavy-handed overreach. It's just advertising. If GRNC sees value in advertising here, they can pay for their advertising like everyone else. I honestly, wish it never came to this because I see the value of group like GRNC and applaud their efforts. Do I like the change, of course not, but there are a lot of great vendors on here that pay because they see value in advertising to the CSC membership. Now sadly, GRNC will have to decide if they want to continue to have a presence here. Since we aren't talking about a ton of money, I would bet they will continue to be represented here.

17. NEO

NEO Staff Member Staff Member

Are you with GRNC? Because @SecondMedia has not mentioned to us that they are not going to let GRNC keep a banner here and not charge them. I get it's the internet and everything is free but you apparently know more than we do.

No idea.

NCTiger likes this.
  18. gc70

gc70 Member

It IS the internet and 36 hours should be enough time to deny a false rumor, acknowledge something as true, or otherwise offer an unequivocal statement to clear up the issue.

19. NCTiger

This posting is the first we have heard of this. @JohnFreeman was ask if he is with GRNC, trying to determine where this rumor is coming from. He has not responded. Since this is the Internet & no one can verify this rumor, I wouldn't get all twisted around the axial just yet. I would suggest you direct your inquiry to GRNC. Although they may not respond to you because it is after all their private business. I know of NO company that makes a practice of discussing their marketing purchases or negotiations with the public. I am not sure why you think you even have a right to know the private business transactions of a company you don't work for or own. I am not trying to be rude, I am just baffled by the hysteria over a rumor that apparently only one person is spreading and no one else can verify.

20. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

To be honest, who really cares anymore?

GRNC doesn't need our help in negotiating a free banner.

Time to move on. ;)

NCTiger likes this.
  21. eddie0225

eddie0225 Member

I agree with tailhunter GRNC doesn't need our help. I also think they are very capable of taking care of their needs

22. Geezer

Geezer Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Grass Roots North Carolina explains everything on their Facebook page. But, it's the internet, interpret as you wish.

23. gc70

gc70 Member

Your response was not rude in the least, but it did seem unnecessarily defensive.

Your customers have previously expressed concern about your company being acquired by an organization with anti-2A affiliations. Whether true or false, the accusation of dropping support for GRNC strikes directly to the heart of that customer concern.
    I have no right to know about your company's business affairs. But I am absolutely certain that the success of your company -like every other for-profit business- depends in part on how you respond to customers' concerns about negative publicity, whether true or false.

24. JohnFreeman

I'm not with GRNC. I merely emailed GRNC and asked about the status. There's nothing mysterious, nor did I ask anything to do with "marketing purchases or negotiations".

Tiger, if you believe profits for an anti gun foreign company are more important than constitutional ideals, then you're on the correct side of this discussion.

shootn4fun likes this.
  25. Friday

Friday Just the Facts Ma'am. Club Subscribed

Wal Mart is the largest business in the world.
    Larger than General Motors, larger than Toyota, larger than the Catholic Church.
    They let the Girl Scouts sell cookies at the entrance...free of charge..in direct competition with the cookie makers who have paid contractual agreements with Wal Mart.
    They could easily tell them to shove off, receive a bit of flack, and continue as the largest business in the world.

They do it because it's good PR. It makes for a pleasant atmosphere, it makes customers feel good about shopping with a store that supports their community, and as such, it's a sound business decision.

It was mentioned that CSC has in the past given upwards of $500 to GRNC to be included on the GRNC website. Why? Perhaps an attempt to attract folks with a kindred mindset, maybe a gesture of financial support to fight the good fight on behalf of it's members. Both?
    Regardless, it was done to insure a level of continuity within the community they thrive upon. Are these considerations no longer given credence?

Wal Mart has an army of Attorneys and folks with PHD's in all aspects of business. They dwarf the cumulative intellect of companies like Torstar and Second Media. Wal Mart learned a long time ago that sometimes, the best profit..is no profit.

NCTiger likes this.
  26. NCTiger

I agree completely

27. soreshoulder

As far as I'm concerned, they are welcome to continue to post and share announcements and lead discussions here at will. Whether or not there is a banner ad in the rotation or not is largely irrelevant.

28. SecondMedia

SecondMedia Staff Member

I can't speak for the sponsorship department but their banner loaded for me.

Attached Files:

29. eddie0225

eddie0225 Member

you are second media here and as such a representative of them am I not right? Could you not find out from whatever source it should come from whether or not the banner was being put up freely or at a cost?? Just saying and wondering. I mean just because the banner is still showing means nothing on whether it is still free or not

30. soreshoulder

its still free.