CWP and Cange of Address

Discussion in 'SC Concealed Carry' started by simple, Oct 11, 2014.

1. simple

simple Member

So I'm planning on doing a change of address shortly. When I go on SLED's website, obviously you have to have Microsoft word to open the page to download the form or to be able to read the procedure to follow. Do I go to the DMV and get a new driver license and then notify SLED, or notify SLED of my intensions first? Any advice on what steps to take would be appreciated.

2. backwoodsshooter

backwoodsshooter OEF 10-11

As a NC resident, I got my new DL then went to the Sheriff's office and did my change of address.

I would figure its the same as the Sheriff's office is going to need you DL anyways to verify your address.

I dont think it will hurt to notify your SO and see which direction they point you to

3. simple

simple Member

Thanks. Got it taken care of yesterday. Copy of new DL with copy of CWP, $5 cashiers check and mail to SLED. I'll receive new permit and am to mail old one back in at that time. Supposedly this needed done within 10 days of changing addresses.

4. Todd_196

Todd_196 Registered Member

Hey there simple, I live in SC too and I'm going to be moving soon myself, still in SC obviously. How well did this work for you? Is there anything I should watch for?

5. Just Keep Swimming

Just Keep Swimming Hall of Shame

Greetings Todd...pretty old thread so I don't even know if simple is around.

I just moved within SC. You need to do a change of address with the DMV and get a new DL with your new address from the DMV first (can be done online) and then send a copy of your new DL with your new address and your CWP with your old address to SLED with that short form they have online and a $5 money order.

My new CWP came back within 2 weeks amazingly enough. Hope that helps...

EDIT: I was never asked to mail in the old CWP. I also ordered my new DL online about 10 days before I got to my new address. It was waiting in the mailbox when I got there.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Todd_196 likes this.
  6. simple

simple Member

Still around, not on here much though. That was over a year ago and I really can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. Anyway, JKS is correct on procedure and it was a quick turn around. The lady at SLED told me I needed to mail the old one in (when I called and asked about the procedure), but there were never any instructions to do that afterwards. My old one laid on the counter until i threw it in a fire. Good luck!