Flintlock Valley Range in Troy

Discussion in 'Trainers, Training Facilities and Ranges' started by greenej12295, May 27, 2014.

1. greenej12295

greenej12295 Registered Member

Has anyone been out to the recently re-opened Flintlock Valley Range yet? Was wondering what your thoughts are. Need to shoot my .308 so I was thinking of heading there this weekend. Thanks in advance.........

2. MCQUADE

MCQUADE Servant to the taxpayers of N.C. Lifetime Member

Haven't been there yet since the reopening. I do think the range officer is OK. I believe the rifle range is still only 100 yds. I'll ride up tomorrow and check, it's only a few minutes away. If you haven't been there and need directions I'll be happy to show you.

3. Jason Coburn

Jason Coburn Not Subscribed

I shot there last week. It is a really nice range. 100 yd rifle, 25 yard pistol. Seemed to be about 10 bays for rifle and 6 or 8 for pistol. They have targets and target stands, and even let you use their staple gun to attach the targets. I don't know how much they were charging for targets since I had brought my own with me. My friend and I went in the middle of the week and there was only one other group shooting there and they were using the pistol range so we had the rifle range to ourselves. The RO was really friendly and even helped us figure out a malfuction with my AR (did you know that if the trigger pin slips out, the rifle might go full auto?) Really can't beat it for $3/day $30/year. The only thing that keeps me from going back a lot is the almost hour drive to get up there.

4. Grungewehr39

Grungewehr39 Hall of Shame

I'm sure I'll catch a little hell for this post, but others may agree. I finally made it out to Flintlock Shooting Range today at Uwharrie. 1st time since it was rebuilt. Now back in 2004 (I think that was the 1st time I shot there) until 2009, you could shoot at whatever. Half of the time, previous shooters didn't pick there old targets. Left whatever they were shooting at laying around. Was not that big of a problem, usually other shooters that gave a shit, and myself, would pick it up when we were done and throw it in the dumpster. There was no "range warden" (or babysitter) there to dictate, monitor, inspect anything. There was only one time I ever seen anybody have any trouble with anybody else. It was a few young 20-somethings that were goofing off. They were asked to leave by a few people, and they complied. I liked the old range. The berm could have been taller, but other than that, it was fine. Used to bring a box of bowling pins (had a free flowing supply from a friend back then) and would give some out. Would also set up my metal spinners. Overall, I was pleased to shoot there. But after today, I will not be going back. It's not the hour drive that gets me. Actually, that's the nice, peaceful part. To start off, any screws that were loose on my car, are gone now. The 3+ mile gravel/dirt road is murder. This has always been the case, so I expected it. At first look, I was impressed. Concrete steps and new lumber. But it went down hill from there. You are greeted like a 12yr old by a babysitter. This person actually comes up to the table and looks over your items. I'm a free, well behaved ADULT, with LEGAL firearms. The tables are too, too close. The "brass deflectors" they put up are useless. The roof seems to direct ALL of the sound from a muzzle blast back down to you. I have never left a range with ears ringing. And I use plugs AND muffs. Only paper is allowed. I HATE shooting at paper. I NEED something to react to my shot. A ding of a metal plate. A spin of a target. Knocking over bowling pins. Something. I honestly do not like to write negatively about this range, but I am curious. Anybody else shoot there and find the place not enjoyable? Or is it just me? O.K., shields up. Let's have it.

5. Butter

Butter Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

6. TR_Holsters

TR_Holsters Registered Member

I have shot there many times since re-opening. The dirt road is....well.....still the same crappy dirt road. If you come in on the 4H northern entrance its not as bad. Plenty of parking, concrete ramps, covered shooting tables for the rifle and pistol bays. The RO is nice and friendly and yes is nosey but its his job to police and make sure your not shooting "funky" stuff. Paper targets only but there is discussion with park officials about allowing steel on the 100yd line only. Nothing granted as of yet though. You cant shoot pistol in the rifle bays which kinda sucks cause you have to pack your stuff and move to the pistol bays. It is class III legal except MG. So SBR and suppressors are good to go.

I haven't been out this year as I'm now a member at Rowan Wildlife but IMHO its a great place since the remodel and no more "unsafe riffraff" like in years past. FYI.....closed on Sunday and Monday and open from 10-6 summer and 9-5 winter.

7. JamesLFlowers

JamesLFlowers Well-Known Member

We were out there earlier this week. The "Range Officer" paid no attention to what we were shooting, just that we were being safe. Very nice facility. We had it to ourselves most of the day.

8. MacEntyre

MacEntyre Vendor Vendor

Are you from Chapel Hill?

How many Chapel Hillians does it take to change a light bulb?
    Ten... one to change the bulb and nine to talk about how they liked the old one better. :D

Seriously, if the roof amplifies the report, that is bad... there is a range in High Point that has that problem. Simple to fix, if someone would bother.

I agree. I usually combine it with a drive-by visit to a few other places in the UWharries. But the road is part of the voyage, just like in Linville Gorge.

A really full day would be to travel the UWharrie Jeep trails, watch the serious rock crawlers, and shoot at Flintlock.

hobart likes this.
  9. MacEntyre

MacEntyre Vendor Vendor

That's a great place to shoot!

10. Grungewehr39

Grungewehr39 Hall of Shame

I guess it's just me. When I first heard there was going to be a range officer, I thought it would be a good idea. That way, nobody could shoot off into a wrong direction and hit someone. That is what caused the closing in the first place (even though I personally think that was all bullshit). I guess I just took his questions and actions the wrong way. Almost felt like I was eyeballed as some kind of newb. I dunna know, guess it was my heavy flow day and I was kind of sensitive?:)

11. iflybeech

iflybeech Registered Member

I've been several times and find it very accommodating. I've shot both rifle and pistol and like the idea of the range officer to keep order.
    Can't beat it for the price !
    Bill

12. Lager

Lager Registered Member

I'm assuming you have to provide your own paper target stands or do they have posts already set up and need special sized paper to attach to them?
    That place really needed a range officer, long before they had that supposed accident . The period before hunting season was the worst to be out there.

13. iflybeech

Ive heard the RO is now different and vert strict. Going to Lentz tomorrow and try that.

14. Lager

Lager Registered Member

The RO has to be strict, borderline hard butt. You have no ideas how many people that used to go to the old range , had no idea what a cold range ment. Cant tell you how many times I would call cold range, step away from your weapons please, wait till everyone complied then walked down range along with many others to reset targets. Get 25 yards down and hear a bolt being closed behind me as someone was loading their next round. Then see one or two others adjusting their sights, loading a mag, picking their weapon up and laying another one down on their rests. That's when I would hurry back to the line and ask the offenders to stay away from their weapons and explain again what a cold range condition was. Sometimes I was met with blank looks, sometimes with arguments. That when I realized that most shooters that used to frequent there had no prior military experience, no competition experience and no idea what I was talking about. Ive seen shooters sweep bystanders with a weapon still loaded with their finger still on the trigger. When someone would yell, the offender, instead of being apologetic ? Would get all offended and start yelling back. The beginning of hunting season was the worst.
    So, Yes, the RO has check you out. He has to use a loud voice to correct you because you have hearing protection on. He is just trying to keep the rest of us from being shot. I will put up with a bossy RO all day long because he isn't giving me any troubles.
    Now that they have an RO out there, think I'm going to go back..

15. millergun

millergun Registered Member

The range rules are strictly enforced now, and that isn't a bad thing....All visitors are treated equally and fair. Try going there one Saturday when it's busy, you can see that the range officer has a stressful job. I don't go shooting there on Saturdays....... The range is closed on Sundays and Mondays now.

fishgutzy likes this.
  16. Lager

Lager Registered Member

Thanks for the info Millergun. What I'm still trying to find out is if they have target stands already there or do we bring our own ? I'm good either way, just trying to figure out what size paper targets I will have to bring with me.

17. angerhater

angerhater Member

they typically provide stands and targets. be sure to get your pass at the Eldorado outpost.

fishgutzy likes this.
  18. fishgutzy

fishgutzy Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I haven't been there this season yet but it is fun. I ordered myself a box of 12x18 splatter targets on Amazon to take with me.
    I am definitely going the first nice day after I get back from China. Fingers crossed for a sunny day on Friday June 3rd. Need a travel recovery day for the 2nd.
    If whether cooperates, I'll post a note here.

19. fishgutzy

fishgutzy Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Absolutely DO NOT Touch for ammo, magazines or firearms when RSO calls a cold range. Not even to move a cased rifle out.
    Nobody is getting ND'd on her watch.

20. iflybeech

New range officer, much more consumer friendly. Was told past RO exaggerated her qualifications and was terminated. bring your paper targets, their holders use chicken wire and clothes pins to hold the target in place. Was fun to shoot there for 2 hours.

21. iflybeech

went again 3 weeks ago, range officer left me alone (was only one there on rifle on a Wed for 2 hrs).
    my targets on chicken wire holder with clothespins.
    Bill