Gander Mountain filing bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Dealer & Firearm Reviews | Critiques' started by Barrett, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Barrett

Barrett Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

2. East of Here

East of Here Registered Member

Honestly, I am surprised they have lasted this long. At least as it relates to firearms and accessories, they have a limited inventory, ridiculously high prices and staff members that don't know the difference between a shotgun and a Chevrolet.

Prosecutor likes this.
  3. RugerWes

RugerWes Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

YUP, they probably will reorganize , cut stores, and hopefully develop a business model that can compete with the better options out there. Truth is, I do not see it . Sad, really hate to see any company fail .

4. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military Club Subscribed

All of the big box sporting stores have pretty high prices and run of the mill employees. They are basically mostly min wage employees. Why would you expect experts in their field? I bet all of them are hurting with the slowed down sales and internet competition. Some are just going to fall sooner than others. Some simply have more capital or coping strategies to get through the rough spots.

5. Barrett

With Bass Pro announcing earlier in the year they're planned purchase of Cabela's, the big box stores will soon be whittled down to one in the Triangle. Sad. I actually found that some items different stores had fairly good prices on. Plus I enjoyed the convenience of walking in finding what I was looking for, even if it meant I might pay a little more for it.

For example, I found my CZ Scorpion at Gander Mountain for over $100 cheaper than Cabela's or what I could find online.

6. hagar

hagar Registered Member

They used to be very good in the 1990's. Had a great catalog in the days before internet sales.

7. Insensitive

Insensitive Registered Member

Last week I stopped by the Cary location. Ammo prices were still extremely high compared to Bass Pro and Cabela's. You would think they they would be more competitive on prices. I see them going under. I believe they also own Overton's. Wonder if they will also go bankrupt?

8. Barrett

It's weird. On most things they are high. But on some they are lower.

I went in there last year and they had NO optics at all. I noticed the last time I was there they had some but it was a lot of cheap Chicom brands.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

9. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

that stinks, the "super center" on Hanes Mall had interesting used guns sometimes

10. turkeydance

turkeydance Active Member

as far as No Optics goes: vendors are refusing orders from GM. will not ship unless prepaid.

11. Barrett

I had shipped a gun to their store in Indiana for my son. I was concerned it would get held up in the bankruptcy and I would have a hard time getting it back. I was able to travel up and meet him at the store and we retrieved the rifle up there. But there were only 3 or 4 employees in the entire store.

12. AsheMtnMan

AsheMtnMan Member

GM wasn't very competitive in the Triangle market so it's not really a surprise to read. The store in N. Raleigh was always empty of customers when I was there. I didn't care for their bait and switch advertising. Buying most firearms at GM was just throwing your money away.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  13. Barrett

14. snowdogs

snowdogs Registered Member

Here in Greensboro, there is a nearly new Field and Stream (Dicks' subsidiary) and an Academy Sports under construction. At the Gander store is nearly impossible to get anyone to aid you if you are seeking an item. That said, I recently purchased an Century C308/H&K91 from them at a fairly reasonable $. It took nearly an hour of paperwork and waiting.....

15. Barrett

They are all getting horrible at customer service. Cabela's and Bass Pro (BP is in negotiations to purchase Cabela's) are almost impossible to get any gun counter help. Forget going in there to purchase anything behind the counter like scopes etc. You have to take a number and wait. I try my best to support the small local stores as much as possible.

16. turkeydance

turkeydance Active Member

17. richard corn

richard corn Registered Member

My observation on the getting waited on situation found at Gander Mountain is two-fold. I am as guilty as anyone but sitting back and watching allowed me to make this observation.First many go into these stores with absolutely no intention of buying most probably without the necessary funding. I realize there are exceptions so if you lie here don"t fret. Most again have intentions to buy but their local shop is out of stock or better yet the online situation is preferred. And why not..spend at $50.00 less with no sales tax. Pay a small FTL fee on backside and go. But I'm torn between the Shield and the LC9S Pro and have seen neither except in a magazine. Enter Gander Mountain. Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, or Field and Stream. Most of these stores would have both in stock allowing you to finger f k the merchandise then leave and order from Buds.
    The second reason is political. With a new regime in Washington and gun laws less threatened gun sales are down. This reason alone prompted Remington to lay off 1200 people from its NY plant. So fewer sales means fewer employees around to wait on camo cladded folks who were not going to buy anyway.
    These are my observations. If you are on board with these a small tax deductible donation would be appreciated.

18. richard corn

richard corn Registered Member

Greensboro store is not closing. Not certain if that's good or bad.

19. Barrett

I guess I'm different. Except for my Tavor x95 which I bought online, I try and support local shops both large and small. The only reason I purchased the Tavor online was no one local had one.

But I do agree with your analogy. I myself go to the store and look at and handle the item I'm interested in purchasing a few times before buying. Unfortunately those items are most times behind a counter requiring sales associate assistance.

So I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for that privilege. Frankly, I'd like to see them use the membership card to let you scan and if you spend money in the store you get waited on first. Might weed out the tire kickers.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk