Good Inexpensive shotguns

Discussion in 'Shotgun Forum' started by Larry Kool, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Larry Kool

Larry Kool Registered Member

I've started this thread to talk about good inexpensive shotguns. I grew up on a farm where we used a mixture of relatively inexpensive shotguns. We had some old bolt action Mossbergs, a bolt action Savage and a single shot Ithaca. Over 40 years later, all of those shotguns still work, without a single failure. Within the past two years, I've purchased three new Mossberg Maverick 88's . I gave two away as Christmas presents to my sons and kept the other for myself. I purchased mine with a field barrel and then bought a kit from Brownells to add a 20" barrael and a higher capacity magazine. I switch barrels back and forth depending on whether I want to use the gun for home defense or hunting/clays. I haven't had a single issue with any of the three Maverick 88's. Are there other "good" shotguns out there that can be purchased at a reasonable price? What has been your experience with "cheap" guns that really are decent shotguns?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. Cochise

Cochise Registered Member

I purchased most of the shotguns used at our club for clinics and teaching. Four are Beretta 3091 in 20 gauge with synthetic stocks and spacers for LOP. Original cost was $475 so used ones should be cheap. These guns get a lot of use and are now 10 years old with only a few minor issues. I also bought a CZ for youth shooting and had nothing but trouble. To answer your question I believe the best inexpensive (under $1000) shotgun is the Beretta A300 for around $600. It has Beretta quality, the shim system for cast and drop and several inserts for LOP. Comes with case and chokes. I would have no problem competing in NSCA tournaments with this gun on Saturday and hunting with it on Monday. A300_OUTLANDER_SYNTHETIC_PROFILE_R.jpg

3. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

You know, back in the day it was all about "good inexpensive shotguns".

Most department stores, hardware stores, etc carried rifles and shotguns at least, and ammunition to boot. In fact, some shotguns and rifles carried by places like JC Penny were rebranded from various manufacturers.

They were all good and inexpensive shotguns. They were reliable and got the job done. This is not to say that there weren't any problems, occasionally.

Of course, people could always buy more expensive guns back then, as well.

Go to Walmart, pick a shotgun you like, and buy it. Shop online, find one you like, and buy it. There are plenty of inexpensive shotguns. I tend to stick with known makers with decent reputations, and a little googling on what I'm interested in goes a long way towards researching product problems. Do this and odds are very well in your favor the gun you get is going to be a good shotgun.

Me? I have a Remington 870 12 gauge I bought for $200...works great, nary a problem.

I also have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge I bought for the same price. Also works great with no problem.

4. DarrenC

DarrenC Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Bought my son a semi-auto Yildiz 20 ga last year. He's put a few hundred rounds through it flawlessly. He shoots it incredibly well. Better than most adults with expensive over-unders at the range.
    I bought it ever so slightly used. Guy got it at Bass Pro. It was only a few hundred.

5. zombienetwork

zombienetwork Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

There was a surge of new Turkish made shotguns before Christmas last year. I think one being sold under the Davidson name was still available for under 200 in various models after Christmas if I remember correctly.

6. Larry Kool

Larry Kool Registered Member

It is hard to "go wrong" with either the 870 or the Mossberg 500. They are the "defacto standard" of the pump action world. Nearly all pumps are clones of these two shotguns. I grew up within 50 miles of the Ithaca factory. As a result, Ithaca's would often go on sale, either as brand new guns or as slightly used. As a result, we had more Ithaca's than anything else, including some in 22 LR.

RetiredUSNChief likes this.