GunBroker Why?

Discussion in 'Dealer & Firearm Reviews | Critiques' started by matttahoe53, Nov 22, 2016.

1. matttahoe53

matttahoe53 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

So, I've signed up for GunBroker since all firearm purchases have to go through a FFL in Oregon and the used market sucks around here.

My question is, are there any good deals on here and does anyone have a favorite vendor? It seems most places just run their deals through their website. I signed up thinking in the coming months there might be a flood of like new firearms on the market from people who bought and now never use their guns.

2. brentb636

brentb636 Registered Member

You will see a lot of dealers , obviously, but there are private sellers as well. I've sold about 30 guns on Gunbroker in the last couple years. I've slowed down recently as my "collection/accumulation ) has stabilized to what I like. :) When I sell a used handgun, you could expect enhanced sights, extra magazines for less than you can buy at a dealer. That's true for many private sellers, BUT you are correct in thinking that mostly dealers are what you'll see. If you know what you are looking for, you can set up a "saved search" and get regular email listings when they show up. I've done that when looking for particular guns, like Ruger .327 mag, CZ-82, Beretta M71, M74, M75 . On NEW guns you may well do better having a local dealer give you a quote on bringing one in . That's been my best success, for the most part.

3. majicmike

majicmike AKA Studly Hungwell Club Subscribed

Im old school,,,If I cant hold it,,,,I cant buy it,,,,firearms anyway

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  4. dmarbell

dmarbell Behold...the "Mallet O' Understanding..."

I've bought a few guns on Gunbroker, and I've gotten a few at deals. I use the No "No Reserve" button and sort by price to determine prices on things that interest me, along with a check on Budsgunshop.com prices.

Occasionally, with patience, you can find a gun you are interested in that no one else seems to want. I once bought a Browning BPS for minimum bid of $380 plus shipping. I called and talked to the seller, and the gun had been bought at the shop new, then traded in without having been fired. I also bought a new Springfield 1911 for under $500 including shipping and FFL.

Be careful on used guns. You can ask questions, and often get a phone number and talk to the seller.

5. matttahoe53

matttahoe53 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Oh good call on the 327. I had a snub nose Taurus in 327 federal. It was a great gun, but the trigger was awful and I sold it before I had it worked on. It would be nice to pick up a Ruger.

6. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

Bought and sold there.

Very good venue.

7. Windini

Windini Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

is.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  8. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

I've bought a couple things on GB, but not sure I ever got a deal. Usually I am loking there for something very specific thst is hard to find so the nature of the beast is I am not getting a deal. SomI just try to not get screwed. Guns International sometimes has some very nice used items. Worth looking there if you want something specific too.

9. lucky13bullets

lucky13bullets Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

i have got several good deals on GB

winchester 94 44 mag for 450 with a cracked stock... some knucklehead tried to put a sling stud in... some toothpicks and wood glue, sanding and stain and you almost can't tell its there...

box of colt 1911 stainless mags for 20 bucks

fal mags... about 10 of the 15 were usable... paid like 8 bucks per mag if i remember correctly

barrel for my 10/22 used E.R. shaw stainless bull for 65$

yukon tundra thumbhole stock for same 10/22 for 30$.. had 2 nicks in it

misc. parts for numerous guns

you just got to look

10. Butter

Butter Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Ive bought a few things off there before. The last time, about 3 years ago, I encountered a bad deal with a dealer, He took way too long to ship a shotgun after receiving payment. At the time I was just chasing saving a dollar. Now I just call the local guys

lucky13bullets likes this.
  11. GoWolfpack

GoWolfpack Scofflaw Cyclist Club Subscribed

Suffolk, VA (formerly Rolesville and Tarboro, NC)
    Gun broker is for availability, not saving money. I want a no-lock S&W 627. The only place I can get that is gun broker, unless I get supernaturally lucky

Lord of War and lucky13bullets like this.
  12. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Registered Member

We have a some local dealers that run used stuff on GB, so I've bought from them and picked up in the storefront. I recall a Hipoint 9mm for $65, and a Mossberg 88 for $105, and a couple $60-80 22lr rifles. Sold several assault type guns during the rushes just because of the money they brought there. Its decent. I lost my account with change of a old email address and I have never been able to sign back up b/c of frauld alerts on their side. My name (David Smith) is probably one of the most common in USA so I can never do stuff like renew a drivers licence online because there a lot of bad david smiths out there I guess. There customer service is impossible to deal with, I spent a week trying to get it resolved before I gave up.

13. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I sold a gun or two and some ammo during the sandy hook panic on GB, (can you say $1000 for a Sub2K?) and purchased a couple over the years as well. I prefer to buy and sell here when I'm not trying to get or pay top dollar, it's a lot less hassle.

NCAV8TOR likes this.
  14. NCAV8TOR

NCAV8TOR Lifetime Member CSC, NRA, GRNC Lifetime Member

I've bought a few items via GB and always gotten a better deal than I could elsewhere. I've never sold anything there though.

15. larryh1108

larryh1108 Registered Member

GB is not for the run-of-the-mill guns and stuff. Glocks, M&Ps, etc are available everywhere so GB is not a good source for a great deal when considering shipping and transfer. GB is great for finding a specific gun or caliber or some obscure part or mag. I have bought and sold a lot of guns on GB and have never been disappointed. Stick with sellers with excellent feedback and good pictures and you can usually find a hard to locate gun or caliber.

Lord of War, TLV and NCAV8TOR like this.
  16. bigfutz

bigfutz Registered Member

Have everything lined up to ship if you're selling. My FFL drug his feet getting my sold item out the door, and the buyer got understandably ticked off.

17. jlpskydive

jlpskydive Staff Member Staff Member

I got a smoking deal on NIB Springfield 9mm Range Officer Operator model yesterday. Under $800 delivered and transferred. Locally it was about 1K after tax etc...

18. Lord of War

Lord of War Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I've found a few good deals on there. Great for looking for stuff you can't find locally. I also would sell on there what would be harder to sell locally. You kind of get a feel for it. I sometimes do what I call "bull shit bidding" and luck out. I will find something I'm interested in that has no reserve and is still relatively low. I will bid where I'm comfortable and way under real market value and leave it and not check on it til after auctions end. Sometimes I've come out with some really great pieces well under real world value. I use it to gauge values as well....not by what people are asking but by what people are bidding up to.

19. michael52

michael52 Active Member

bought and sold quiet a bit on GB over the years , never a problem

also ruger and smith classifieds i have bought and sold..........no seller fee either

20. GeorgeBush

GeorgeBush Registered Member

Great for hard-to-find things; I've never had a problem buying or selling.

Seems like it can be a little clunky adding a new credit card and deleting an old one? Minor complaint.

It's also a good tool for getting in touch with faraway FFLs (that have special relationships with certain manufacturers like DSA), and can get custom orders for you much faster than anyone else.

21. Cocked & Locked

Cocked & Locked Hunter of Deer...Few More Days Club Subscribed

Bought some things and sold much more on GB. Never a problem. I've sold some higher dollar rifles on GB for much more than I could get for them locally or on a gun forum.