Guy loses gun and CCW permit at trial-

Discussion in 'Firearms News and Firearms related political news' started by soreshoulder, Mar 17, 2017.

1. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

I don't like Sexton's obvious anti-gun slant in anything, but this dude should have at least had a lawyer:

"With one short, straight-to-the-point pronouncement, Judge John O. Craig did the entire community a favor Thursday by stripping a John Wayne wannabe of his right to carry a concealed weapon around town.

Craig has just presided over the state v. Daniel Ray Brown, a two-day trial last week made necessary by Brown’s ill-advised decision to poke his nose — and a semi-automatic handgun — in a “fight” at Hanes Mall that wasn’t his.

He’d listened to sworn testimony from the victim, a pair of Winston-Salem police officers and Brown’s mother. Like the jury that ultimately decided Brown’s fate, Craig also had heard racially charged testimony from Brown himself.

Two of the men involved in the “fight” — actually group home workers trying to get control of a mentally ill client who’d run away — were black. Brown had to pull his gun, point it at them and fire a round, right?"

http://www.journalnow.com/news/colu...cle_05d65853-f21f-5307-9f0b-cc2eb395b088.html

2. jsb

jsb Registered Member

Based on the available accounts - which, of course, may contain some "slightly-biased" reportage - Mr. Brown apparently got a bit carried-away, and got more than a bit over-aggressive...based, apparently, on his faulty-understanding of the situation. Brown screwed-up - pretty badly, in point of fact...and has now paid the "price" for having done so. Unless he had a very bad instructor, he messed-up despite the rather clear instructions included in the C.C.W. training class he took, in several ways:

1) You really need to be sure of your understanding - as much as possible - of the whole situation before you unlimber the artillery - and it appears that Brown did not, and made a poor assessment of the need to "stand his ground".
    2) Never point a gun at anything or anyone unless you fully intend to shoot it/them.
    3) Firing a "warning shot" is a very, very bad idea - one that - as in this case - can put you in Big Trouble

Having a C.C.W. doesn't make you any sort of Law Officer - another point the training course makes quite clear.

Kind-of difficult to find fault with the judge involved, here, at least insofar as public-safety is concerned...although I admit, I don't know the exact law on this (Not a lawyer, don't really want to be one, either), but I wonder if, since Brown was only actually convicted of a misdemeanor, either the confiscation of the gun or the voiding of the C.C.W. was really within the judge's legal jurisdiction? Can anyone speak to that with authority?

We all know, of course - even prior to certain recent events on a much-higher level of the judicial system - that there are a lot of judges that are almighty quick to exert authority that they really do not possess, legally...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Chambered likes this.
  3. soreshoulder

good questions. I think a good lawyer could have saved Mr. Brown's CCW and gun. I'm glad nobody was hurt, I just wish Sexton would move somewhere more appropriate, like NY or Chicago

4. jsb

jsb Registered Member

Agreed quite readily as to journaljismist Sexton - at the very least, he needs to re-locate to Charlotte, or somewhere else where that faint "taint" of firearms-ownership negativity he seems to somewhat-emanate might be found rather more "appropriate"...

soreshoulder likes this.
  5. Crashtaz

Crashtaz Registered Member

How does this punishment not fit the crime? This retard got exactly what was coming to him, to say that being a client might be drug dealer etc... is ridiculous. Trying to argue that this idiots rights were violated by getting his concealed carry taken away doesn't make sense.
    What did the dude have three knives on himself for also? In case he ran out of bullets and he then needed one of three knives?
    Why would we in the law-abiding gun community think that this dude should still have a weapon?

6. soreshoulder

nobody is saying the guy wasn't an idiot. Not sure if he should have lost his ccw rights forever or not, but its an interesting discussion

7. jsb

jsb Registered Member

Exactly so - Crashtaz, go back and read what I actually said/wrote...

Also - read the f'in' story at the link that soreshoulder already supplied:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/colu...cle_05d65853-f21f-5307-9f0b-cc2eb395b088.html

Yeah, based on What We Are Told...and depending on that to be mostly the sorta-full-facts...it appears that Mr. Brown started-out pretty o.k. - got the cops on the way (via Mom calling 911) and confronted what he apparently believed to be a possibly criminal act in progress - up to the point when he actually pointed the gun at the supposed-assault-in progress...and then - at that point - it appears that he went seriously "astray from reality"...

If we assume that's all true - he can pretty-much be seen as "getting what he (maybe) deserved" - but quite-possibly more than what was/is warranted or justified...dunno for sure; not yet, anyway.

Even given that he did some pretty-stoopid stuff - even if he is (as it presently-appears) all kinds of a repulsive, over-aggressive dork - the questions that remain are:

1) Did the extent of the punishment reasonably fit the crime(s)?

2) Did/does the judge have the legal standing either to take away his property (the gun) or to void his C.C.W.? (Which is, really, of far more importance than the incident itself, or the extent of the dorkiness of this one particular hapless, potentially-dangerous dork)

I'd pretty-strongly suspect that there will have to be more to the story - for instance, it appears quite likely there's sufficient "grounds" for an appeal at a higher level.

8. Crashtaz

Crashtaz Registered Member

Yeah I did read the full story, I guess I misinterpreted the comments that were made by members on this forum, my apologies.
    I just didn't think we as responsible gun owners should be standing by a guy like this.

Crash

9. soreshoulder

we're not really "Standing up for him" but losing ccw and having your gun confiscated might/ might not be a bit harsh for being an idiot. It might fit the crime, but it highlighted the anti-gun clown (Scott Sexton) who is writing for the Journal

and it highlights the fact that only an idiot represents himself in court.

Chambered and jsb like this.
  10. AsheMtnMan

AsheMtnMan Member

IMO by firing a "warning shot" he demonstrated that he doesn't need to have a CWP. He should have hired a lawyer. He didn't stand a chance in that court room without one.

Chambered, jsb and soreshoulder like this.