"high end" ARs

Discussion in 'AR15' started by Lowcountry, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Member

So, I've been seeing this description a lot lately when people ask for ARs in a trade or whatever...

Curious as to what ya'll think is a "high end" AR -15..

In my experience, I would list Noveske, Colt, Lewis Machine...

What others would you include in this group? Where does PSA and Spikes rank?

thanks

2. Rdinatal

Rdinatal Well-Known Member

I always thought it was an oxymoron. Yeah, there's junk and quality but they're basically milspec.

I will say that all of mine shoot as expected or better. So I win! Yeah, no help from me...

-R

3. bamashooter

bamashooter Registered Member

My highest end is a 800.00 government 20" therefore I guess I fall in the trailer trash "black gun" category. If they only knew I also have a DPMS Oracle I would likely be banned from assorted forums. :D I find my two ARs to be excellent for whatever I have designated their intended purpose to be which I'm not quite sure of yet. :rolleyes: Regarding PSA, I'm seeing as many owner-posted negatives, perhaps more, on their products. Pertaining to any product, one thing that drives me nuts is to see these "internet intellectuals" bash something yet have no first hand experience with it.

4. Milshooter

Milshooter Member

I think my Daniel Defense was worth all the pretty pennies that I paid. It isn't anything special but it works.

5. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military Club Subscribed

The way I look at it, high end ARs are those that cost $3000 plus. Then there is middle tier which almost every factory built AR falls into, despite their price differences, and then there are junk builds. As far as I am concerned, a build is a build and they all fall in the same category. The "nobody else wants your shit" category. Especially in this day of $500 factory ARs.

6. shadowsbane

shadowsbane En Mermoriam. Vendor

Barnes Precision is a good one. I would consider it higher end. They are very well built, and accurate, but heavy. Daniel defense and BCM are other decent brands in similar tiers.

Colt in my opinion is a good mid range gun that is priced at the high end. The prancing pony tax can be quite high.

dollar to value ratio for people starting out, it is hard to beat the Smith Wesson Sport 2. The Ruger 556 isn't bad either, but the bolt is kinda crap. I mean it works, but still.

7. JHorne

JHorne Registered Member

I believe based on where the AR industry is today, "high end" means sexy for some folks. The custom crazy colors and billet etc. I belive Noveske, BCM, Colt, Spikes, DD, and several others make great guns. For what you can get a BCM, Colt, or Spikes for, the only other premium is, in my opinion, aesthetics or a piston system. PWS, LWRC, LMT, and a few other of the piston guns are a step up but really, unless you are shooting surpressed or full auto, not a huge improvement.

8. spockrock

spockrock Member

Noveske, LMT, Knights Armament are what I'd consider "high-end" ARs. Next you have your Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt tier, with Spike's Aero Precision, PSA occupying the next and the likes of DPMS, M&P Sports, Bushmaster at the lower end.

All of that is completely in my head though. There's absolutely nothing wrong with an M&P Sport, and I'd venture to say it would be as reliable as any "high-end" AR out there. For me, I've settled on that 2nd tier, specifically Colts. My Colts aren't pretty, but they work every time, are of good quality and hold their value unlike any other brand. I see the AR tiers sort of like the tiers of 1911 manufacturers, where in my opinion the sweet spot for a good, working 1911 is $800-1400 or so. Anything above that, from my perspective, you start to get into the world of diminishing returns.

An $800 Colt is going to work just as well as a $2000 KAC gun; the Colt, however, may have a few scratches and less fancy d00-dads to bolt on. And I for one don't feel bad at all about feeding a Colt steel-case ammo or I don't mind if my Colts get scratches/dings from honest use. I think I'd be hesitant to do that to a gun that costs more than my monthly mortgage payment.....

9. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

You're just jealous.

bfbf11 likes this.
  10. Ed334

Ed334 Registered Member

11. Ed334

Ed334 Registered Member

Barnes precision machine.
    Research this rifle and you'll be a owner