I-am cumpărat primul meu AKM !

Discussion in 'AK47' started by Sneakymedic, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Sneakymedic

Sneakymedic being super sneaky Club Subscribed

(I bought my first AKM) For you losers who don't know Romanian. (google translate is your friend) ..

So anyhoo. I had only handled one or two before actually purchasing one. I traded around on here with someone who had this nice SAR-1. Few little scratches here and there, nothing that would shy my away from something made from a trashcan, 2x4, and shovel head. Right?

I got it home today, and decided to try my luck at disassembly from the 2,345 YouTube vids I have watched. Went pretty well. Learned no matter how you turn the little lever up front to take the forward grips off, they wont come out with that stupid gas op rod running through them :) and thats why I am taking it apart now, vs. when I am under duress.

The insides, while very rudimentary, were clean and not mucked up. The rifle has not been shot too much. Cycles well, and surprisingly smooth, considering I was expecting a brick across pavement feel. The oprod is pinned and not Century welded, which seems better per all the folks on AKfiles. Speaking of which, they are an interesting bunch to sit back and read their posts and "witty banter" back and forth. Whew. I do like that they publicly shame the banned list. Nice touch :)

Stock is the typical hardwood I suppose. I honestly like the laminated look, but I think I am going to just shoot it and pick some old school laminated stuff up later. I really like the Timbersmith Gray laminate. I would also like some of the Mepro night sights too. Im trying to fight the MI rail/Bushnell TRS25 or whatever that is.

Gun seems to point well, unloaded. Stock is wierdly short, although, I could see shooting it well with armor on. It seems to want to roll off my shoulder unless I chicken wing it. Have to get used to that. I will be shot dead before I can get the safety lever down on this rifle. Holy crap. Any thoughts on the BHO Krebs lever?

Overall, It feels and looks great. Sights arent canted, rear sight block is in the middle, rivets look great. Quite pleased. I could see myself getting to enjoy shooting it. IMG_20160906_145135425.jpg

2. zombienetwork

zombienetwork Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Let me set you up with some proper wood...and the stock complaint is common as they are kinda meant for you to get down on it so to speak.

3. Sneakymedic

Dinner and a movie first, please. :)

4. zombienetwork

If I said proper I can assure you it wouldnt be mine...after all Im married and things just arent the same afterwords.

Sneakymedic likes this.
  5. ripv2

ripv2 Guest

I personally like the Warsaw length stock after becoming accustomed to it.

You can fix the selector by bending it a little. Put the safety portion of it in a vise and pull until you get the desired bend to adjust tension it sits against the receiver.

Hope that makes sense. You bend the selector portion ever so slightly.

Sneakymedic and burn 'em like this.
  6. zombienetwork

If you were to go tactical with the stock you can get them in NATO length..which is maybe 1-2 inches longer.

It could also be that angle of the stock...the Chinese and maybe the Bulgarians are angled a bit more down so it feels different from the others.

7. Sneakymedic

I was watching AK operators Union on YT. Thats what he said to do. It is a simple machine.

burn 'em likes this.
  8. zombienetwork

I have moved to the akforum a bit more for info as the files tends to run a bit more harsh. I tired of people essentially yelling at me for being a noob and not knowing the ins and outs of taking pics etc and found theakforums to be a little more civil.

Plus the forum had someone able to give explicit info about my ak whereas the files folks were stumped. And the forum is broken down by country so you can specifically look up a country of origin for your weapon. The files is a bit more robust as far as volume of traffic so to speak.

Sneakymedic likes this.
  9. charliesgrave

charliesgrave Anne Murray sucks.

redacted

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    IrishCannon likes this.
  10. IrishCannon

IrishCannon Hall of Shame

Buy the dong setup from Charlie ^^^^ or buy a take-off or used war set and refinish it yourself. This is an AK, no reason to buy a bunch of brand new pretty stuff. That's part of the fun. I made that mistake when I first got an AK and I regretted it.

I've got that Romy G dong setup one of mine. - You got a nice piece there, Sneaky! SAR's are great rifles. I found a nice one on GB but it just so happened to be in NC and I didn't want to pay the sales tax. Meh.

Get that muzzle threaded! 14x1LH

As burn'em said, welcome to the dark side. Load up on some quality eastern bloc mags and don't go too crazy on expensive accessories to begin with. Maybe a good sight tool like the Magna-matic and a Wolff extra power recoil spring. Polish up that trigger and work her good.

11. zombienetwork

There are some surplus mags around such as the Polish and Croatian for under 15 each and better if you buy in bulk.

But watch out for the magazine collecting...it can hook you worse than the commie weapons themselves!

12. IrishCannon

IrishCannon Hall of Shame

Checkout whatacountry.com for mags. Personally, Id avoid the croatian mags. They're new production and many problems associated from what I read on the other forum.

Plenty sites with good deals. I pretty much strictly get Yugos now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

13. zombienetwork

So we have reached an interesting place...if I go any darker I am afraid we will not be able to see the laminate....but the red wood showing through adds an effect I did not anticipate.

Where do you want to go from here..we can keep going with this tone or I can add some more black to the tint to try to hide the red.
    DSCN0321.JPG DSCN0322.JPG DSCN0323.JPG

Sneakymedic likes this.
  14. Sneakymedic

Anyone around here have the die for the threading? (and the widget that goes in the barrel? )

15. zombienetwork

There is a smith that lives maybe 5 miles from me...he is a member here and does threading. Not sure if he does LH threading though.

16. knifeman32

knifeman32 Sponsor Club Subscribed

So that's where the SAR went. I tried working out a trade with him but you beat me to it. Feel free to donate it to me after you're done.

Sneakymedic likes this.
  17. Sneakymedic

You can come to my place, or I can come to your place and we can shoot it.

18. knifeman32

knifeman32 Sponsor Club Subscribed

I appreciate it brother. I've got two of it's twins here already. I collect pre ban AK's but I've got a few SAR's hanging around too.

Sneakymedic likes this.
  19. Sneakymedic

It's like you own a gun store or something. Geez. :)

knifeman32 likes this.