I done did it now

Discussion in 'AK47' started by ikarus1, Sep 1, 2016.

1. ForumSurfer

ForumSurfer Ar Hugger. Carpe diem per guttur . Club Subscribed

Sellout. Your beard smells like communism.

What's wrong with going with the traditional ultimak? It was perfect for me. I loved mine. Solid, some co witnessing and the ultra far forward position is perfect.

upload_2016-9-8_16-23-8.png

ikarus1 likes this.
  2. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

That ultimak gets hot AF, yes?

3. ForumSurfer

Depends. I have terribly calloused hands. It never got uncomfortable for me unless I did like 3 straight mag dumps. For casual shooting or drills under 300 rounds I didn't get what all the fuss was about.

Now if you accidentally go thumb over, yeah it is noticeable but not burned enough to need 1st aid. Wasn't enough to be a deal breaker in my mind.

Of course there are pages and page and pages about gen4 glocks or vz grips or some other firearm being too abrasive on the hands. Just depends on if you're man or a stage 3 fairy whiner. :p

If I had to rate it on a scale of uncomfortableness...I'd give accidentally touching an ar15 carbine FSP a 7 of 10. Maybe 8. Ultimak...4, maybe 5 of 10.

If you're the type that notices the pain before you actually notice you're bleeding from hammer bite, you probably wouldn't like it. Pain is subjective and I get minor burns or cuts (like hammer bite)and won't notice until I start getting blood on gear.

All I am saying is it is hard for me to say. It did not bother me, but I could see where SOME may complain. I had never shot an ak with anything but irons. Using the red dot made me fall in love with it and view it as a tool instead of a novelty. IF I had kept the rifle, no way I would have taken it off. Last time I shot it, I put 300 rounds through 10 mags. It never got too hot on a summer day for me.

Inebriated likes this.
  4. ikarus1

Hmmm ill put it and the MI one on the list

5. ForumSurfer

I also have medium sized hands so my fingertips didn't rest on the mount, they stayed on the hanguarf and only occasionally grabbed it.

6. ikarus1

yeah I wear XL gloves so.......might have to go another route. I really like the way that RS regulate mount sits on top of the dust cover but you can still remove it....but $200 is steep

7. ForumSurfer

I always buy large gloves, so maybe it would be an issue if your hands were daintier and larger. :)

If you have an ar15 with a narrow diameter foreend that covers the gas block, putting your hands directly around the area covering the gas block is exactly what it feels like. Does't require first aid, but gets your attention.

Inebriated likes this.
  8. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

I had some temp readings of the Ultimak and an Aimpoint I can find.

But the short of it is, for civilian defense, heat is 100% a non-issue. I go thumb over bore with it, and I can get a couple mags out quick without having to switch my thumb to the side. So if I ever need the gun, I have no concerns about it getting too hot.

So for a whole set of drills, gloves are good if you're going thumb over bore. If you're not, the sides that make up the "upper handguard" portion aren't nearly as bad as the tube itself. As @ForumSurfer said, same as grabbing a thinner AR rail over the gas block. You can do it if you need to, it's not going to actually hurt you, but it's more comfortable to just move your hand. So if your hand is mostly just touching the sides of the Ultimak, gloves aren't really necessary, but they can be nice.

Practical shooting won't overheat it or your optic, and I've had no issues with using bare hands and QD levers mounted to it either.

9. ForumSurfer

I couldn't thumb over or it blocked the optic. I had a primary arms aimpoint micro clone, ran like a champ.

10. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

It does block the bottom of the optic, but even if it obscured the front lens completely, as long as both eyes are open and you're focusing on the target, you'll get the hits.

I find a marked increase in control by getting the thumb over top, and as precision starts to matter more (whether range increases or the target gets smaller), I'll occasionally move my thumb to the side, or rest it on the light (which is actually what I do with my iron-sighted AK's).

But by and large, my natural tendency is to grip it over the top.

11. IrishCannon

IrishCannon Hall of Shame

I have a foregrip on my go-to, and a dong on my other, and since I'm a lefty, I kinda use the forward grip as a handstop and my thumb runs the middle of the HG's without hitting the sling loop since I'm on the other side of it.

12. IrishCannon

The reason I don't want an Ultimak is because if the glass cracked, there is no easy-off method for the dot.

Yes, I get that that's like the ultimate pessimistic reason not to use an Ultimak, but there you go.

Plus, the AK is already forward heavy. I like the weight balance of the optic over receiver.

13. ForumSurfer

I gave up and went back to the AR. With a good brake and that optic...man it was awesome.

14. ForumSurfer

What is wrong with a QD mount?

15. IrishCannon

Then it's sitting too high for 1/3 cowitness and good cheek weld.

16. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

I have Aimpoint's LRP conversion for the factory H1 mount, which allows QD capability while keeping a lower-1/3 co-witness. The standard low LRP mount also allows a lower-1/3 co-witness, as does Bobro's mount (which I'll probably pick up soon).

I split my time between both, but there is no denying that the AR just does a few things better. Speed for accuracy, all the outstanding 5.56 loads for defensive use and longer range use, domestic support, etc.

17. IrishCannon

They've come a long way then. I had never found anything that worked well.

The side mount with a quality piece from MI or RS just does it best for me, IMO.

18. ikarus1

Has anyone upgraded from the Tapco G2 to the ALG AKT trigger? I'm interested in 2 aspects of this:

1. Better hammer geometry since evidently the G2 hammer beats the shit out of the carrier tail nub

2. better trigger bow shape and less creep.

19. ZedHound

ZedHound Hall of Shame

Is this the ak you needed a buffer tube for?

ikarus1 likes this.
  20. IrishCannon

I didn't upgrade but have tried it on a friends. Great trigger, it is worth the $50imo. Not sure about the new one fetching $75.

I saw one on fleabay go for $30. Wanted it but just picked up a couple XP recoil springs instead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

21. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

All my G2's went in the garbage a couple years ago. ALG or Arsenal triggers are what I use.

ikarus1 likes this.
  22. IrishCannon

What specifically made you switch? I don't mind the G2 trigger, but I am a little concerned about the bolt-tail issue even after reprofiling the hammer. I can't tell if it's going to be a problem or not.

23. Case Mouth

Case Mouth Member

polishing the offending hammer face is supposed to help the issue of carrier tail deformation, but It is an ongoing Internet controversy if the G2s are causing the problem or poor carrier metelurgy. I have all g2s but not all carriers are deforming but some are, FWIW...

24. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

Lots of overtravel, and a generally unpredictable trigger. Plus, I had a couple that would double or triple, and I just don't trust them.

Arsenal triggers are hit or miss, but a good Arsenal trigger is a fantastic trigger. I've only got about 2500 down range with the ALG's, I like them, they're easier to use in really any area of shooting than the G2, but I still find better precision with the Arsenals, and I can also get on the trigger pretty well without outrunning it.

Going 100% on a trigger is a rare thing in the real world, and outrunning the gun only requires you to rack the bolt, but I just am not crazy about the fact that I can, indeed, get on the ALG quick enough to drop the hammer before the bolt is back in battery. I can get ridiculous splits with the ALG, but I'm still using Arsenal triggers in my go-to rifles.

My SGL-21 had about 2000 rounds before I tried a G2 in it. There was no deformation. I ran maybe 600-800 rounds with the G2, and it deformed. I went back to the Arsenal trigger, I'm sitting at around 4500 total in it as of yesterday, and the deformation hasn't changed. Similarly, my SLR has about 3000 in it, split between ALG and Arsenal triggers, and there's no deformation. It's a G2 thing IMO.

25. IrishCannon

Ya, I re-profiled both hammers. I honestly have no idea if there is deformation in the carrier tail or not. Definitely some beating on it, but IDK if it's a normal amount or not.
    I have an Arsenal that came with the SGL. I never used it. Maybe I should polish it up today and install her. I was a little concerned after seeing Rob's Arsenal hammer literally just crack in half.

I don't know if it came with the single stage or double stage. - @Inebriated, I may have to send you a pic of the trigger group. I have two triggers thrown in a bag together and I'm not sure if I can tell them apart unless there are Arsenal markings.

26. ikarus1

The hammer on the G2 is harder than the tail according to the mel64d video where he tests the Rockwell c hardness. It doesnt help about the stupid angle on the hammer

27. IrishCannon

I found the Arsenal. I polished it up and will install it today. I've honestly never even played with this trigger; I've tried one on my buddy's SLR106, but IDK if it was the same thing or not.

I'll wait on replacing my other until I find a deal on either an ALG or RAK-1. Inebriated pretty much talked me into replacing the G2's. I've been holding off for a while now.

28. B00GER

B00GER Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I need a dong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrishCannon likes this.
  29. Inebriated

Inebriated Active Member

If it's got a small ridge on the release edge of the hammer face, it's a two-stage. Since you polished it, let us know how it works.

And don't worry about breakages. The ALG had a couple break just the same. Anything cast/molded like that, I give a 500 round trial period. If it lasts that 500, it'll be fine. If not, there ya have it, just get it replaced and try again.

One thing I'd pay stupid amounts of money for, is a milled trigger group that I don't have to worry about.

30. zombienetwork

zombienetwork Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have 2 more dong sets in rough shape arriving. I also have my eye on a separate dong for sale that I may try to bargain over...it is at 22 shipped currently.