IBM M1 carbine

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics' started by zombienetwork, Jul 11, 2016.

1. zombienetwork

zombienetwork Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

100_0370.JPG 100_0371.JPG 100_0366.JPG 100_0367.JPG I traded my mak90 for this IBM. Has some nice features and some issues as it was modded a bit to be a shooter.

First off is the Lyman rear sight. Not original and someone had to drill some holes in the side of the receiver to fit it...blah.

Second is the end of the barrel...it was threaded and appears to have some fake blue on it where some polishing was done or some damage to the outside when the threading was done. I also have to see if this is a muzzle cap or is some kind of suppressor adapter.

But enough of that...here are some pics...especially notice no bayonet lug..that is nice.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  2. Tuna

Tuna Registered Member

It sure looks nice till you get the muzzle. Wonder what was done to it to make it turn out like that? If you can find a good used IBM barrel you could have it swapped out and raise the value of the carbine quite a bit.

3. zombienetwork

The guy that traded it to me had someone in Charlotte that is the "Charlotte M1 guy" take it apart and basically state the barrel and the rear sight are the only real issues with it.

There was also comment about it not having the correct stock but if this is appropriate age then that is a minor thing.

IT also appears to have had some parts painted...but that is probly easy enough to have that removed.

I am gonna let David Sink look at it locally to see what he thinks and then reassess whether it should be put back to as close to original as possible or not.

4. nbkky71

nbkky71 Registered Member

Interesting muzzle attachment. I too suspect that it was a quick-detach mount for some kind of muzzle brake or suppressor. Definitely not USGI

5. zombienetwork

Yeah I have to get it to David Sink so he can check it out. His assessment of the barrel will help me to know what I have here.

6. carolinashooter

carolinashooter Registered Member

If that receiver has been drilled, do not waste any money on trying to get this back into USGI form. It is now a shooter. At most you might look at putting a Criterion barrel on it to get that "look" back. This will never be anything that would interest a collector.

7. ulflyer

ulflyer Registered Member

Original barrels are scarce and extremely pricy if you find one. As mentioned above,
    go with a Criterion if you want. If not, and you want an original rear sight, I have
    several on hand. Pm if interested.

8. zombienetwork

I will keep that in mind. I need to have David check it out...if it isn't worth the financial investment then I will decide whether to part it out or put a muzzle brake on it and shoot away.

9. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military Club Subscribed

If the barrel isn't shot out, I would have a gunsmith remove the front sight, remove that abortion of a muzzle device and permanently install a threaded cap in its place. The cap could then be machined to match the original contour and length of the barrel, and then properly re-install the front sight, and refinish the whole barrel with the new cap. It will look odd with no rifling in that first portion of the new cap, but only if you look really close.