Lightweight .308 AR

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by bigfutz, Oct 29, 2016.

1. bigfutz

bigfutz Registered Member

Anyone with experience with DPMS GII 308? I'm wanting a lightweight 308 carbine. Is the GII a totally new platform, or does it have any compatibility with the original platform? I'm guessing the uppers and lowers won't mate, but does it use a standard DPMS pattern barrel?

2. bigB6flyer

bigB6flyer Registered Member

I found this interesting article which may give some insight to your questions. Make sure to pick thru the comments too at the bottom.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/14/dpms-308-gen-ii/

The bolt is approximately 1" shorter on the Gen2's, is considerably slimmer, and has twin extractors for more reliability. Those first two definitely save on weight compared to the Gen 1 models. Basically, dpms redesigned the Gen1's to AR15 profiles and designated them Gen2's. I don't think there's any changes in the barrel, but the lower & upper seem very proprietary even between the two generations. I seriously doubt you could put a G1 upper on a G2 lower & vica-versa.

I know there are several YT videos on it, in particular a multi-part series James Yeager did with then Remington rep Billy Birdzel. It may answer some of your questions.

As with all things AR-10, or in this case AR-10 like, I would tread carefully as their are no industry standards. As I mentioned on the other thread, I have the Remington R25 G2 in .308 (was made in Ilion,Ny;I think most are made in their Alabama factory now), which is essentially the DPMS Hunter Gen2 rifle, but in camo with a different hand rail (all owned by the Freedom Group). I've thoroughly enjoyed the gun; it is very accurate, relatively light weight, packs a potent hunting round, and is an excellent hog gun.

3. bigfutz

Thanks @bigB6flyer for the insight. I didn't put together that DPMS 308 = Remington R25. The most intriguing question (that if answered I missed it) in the comments in the article you referenced was, does the GII accept AR-15 pattern handguards? That in itself would be one of the biggest improvements I could conceive. LR-308 handguards are few and pricey.

4. bigB6flyer

It will but you have to buy ones specifically for it. I know Midwest industries for example produces a nice one for it.

bigfutz likes this.
  5. nbkky71

nbkky71 Registered Member

6. bigfutz

I was afraid of that. I'm seeing Midwest and Yankee Hill at least. So now we have Armalite, LR-308 and GII patterns in the 308 AR family. Geez.

I do think I saw somewhere one company was making different barrel nuts for the same handguard, but of course it only works with their handguard.

7. bigB6flyer

The long term issue with AR-10 type rifles has always been the lack of standardization across brands. This stems from the fact there was never a military mil spec contract for the rifle. Had that occurred, it'd most likely be like the AR-15 family where you can play 'barbie' with it, mixing & matching brands.

Fwiw, I believe the DPMS gen2 rifles weigh between 6.0-7.5 lbs depending on configuration out of the box.

8. AsheMtnMan

AsheMtnMan Member

M&P 10 is a great light weight option.