Long Distance Traveling

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry | National 2A Laws' started by J.R, Dec 9, 2016.

1. J.R

J.R Registered Member

Hey Guys,

If this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move I just wasn't sure where it belonged.

I am a CWP holder in SC, and will be traveling back to NJ for Christmas. My question is, if I have a firearm in my center console or somewhere locked up other than on my person. Should I follow the same procedures as if it was on my person? When I took the course, the instructor told us that we didn't have to inform the officer if it wasn't on our person. But, I would rather be on the side of caution and not take my chances.

Just curious what everyones thoughts are as you guys have far more experience than I do.

*I have checked the reciprocity map, I knew NY/NJ wouldn't allow me to carry although I was surprised PA wouldn't either. Hopefully Trump will change that. It's mainly for rest stops, last time had an uncomfortable experience at one w my better half.

2. toddje

toddje ethical server guy

Do not enter NJ with a firearm. It is illegal to have a firearm in NJ without their stupid FOID card and whatever. But they've been known to regularly jail people for "minor" infractions. It's not worth it. Also, Maryland is known for pulling over people with license plates from "more free" states that are attached to people with CCW permits.

Make the family come to you. :)

Grits likes this.
  3. FINO

FINO Registered Member

you need to check all states laws that you will enter very carefully, especially new jersey and maryland. Past escapeee from the communist state of new jersey.Consider yourself warned. be careful and have a safe trip.

4. Grits

Grits Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

With the laws in NJ and NY I wouldn't be caught carrying or even in possession of a pistol.

I have no desire to venture above the Mason Dixon line for obvious reasons.

5. J.R

J.R Registered Member

Holy hell, I think I may just leave it home and not risk it. I don't need to go to jail over something so stupid. I just read about their laws, it has to be "carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances." Doesn't do me much good if shit hits the fan. With all the freedom down here, I don't think I could ever move back.

But the family was here for thanksgiving, had a blast taking everyone shooting in my aunts back yard. Now I just need to buy my own land so I don't have to ask her for permission :D

Windini likes this.
  6. Windini

Windini Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have to agree
    searched,

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  7. J.R

J.R Registered Member

Yeah the risk doesn't seem to be worth it, what a shame. Looks like ill be carrying my flashlight and knife for those late night rest stops.

Windini likes this.
  8. Windini

Car

9. toddje

toddje ethical server guy

I think you can have pepper spray in NJ.

10. J.R

J.R Registered Member

Nj sucks, unbelievable. I don't think there are many things better than going shooting. But maybe thats because I have so many years without I'm making up for it now.

Windini likes this.
  11. Bunsen

Bunsen Registered Member

Double check on the PA reciprocity with NC CCW. The dumbass Democratic Pa Attorney General, that is now a convicted felon, did some dumb stuff earlier in 2016 that I believe was overturned later in 2016 once she was forced to resign. Your NC CCW should be good to go in Pa.

joebu likes this.
  12. Just Keep Swimming

Just Keep Swimming Hall of Shame

PA does not reciprocate with SC for CCW permits. Just had a friend move there and he had to disarm right before the PA border.

J.R likes this.
  13. Hammer21B

Hammer21B U. S. Military

I was in PA and went thru MD at Hagerstown this past weekend. I was actually in WV to see some of my aunts. I had to go up to Chambersburg, PA to visit my Grandmother. My wife asked why I was driving so slow, and I told her because I didn't want to go to jail. Had mine in the tool box in the back of the truck. Only 14 miles across MD and back. That's why I don't go up there as often as I should! Damned commies!

14. Windini

verify this before time...

15. diablos30

diablos30 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

That's federal law, and you have to be legal at your destination. Of course douche states like ny dont care, will often arrest you anyway, and make you fight a court battle.

Threshold and Windini like this.
  16. nbkky71

nbkky71 Registered Member

As if this wasn't going to be difficult enough for you, NJ has regulations regarding the transport and use of hollowpoint ammo!
    http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-hollowpoint.shtml

This summer we drove from NC to Maine on vacation and had to pass through NJ. To make things as "compliant" as possible, we ended up taking a S&W 642 revolver with 158gr RNL ammo and transported them in separate locked boxes. No semi-autos, no defensive ammo and no speed loaders.

We had to go farther than NJ though, and Massachusetts was the worst.

17. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

Just pack a muzzleloading"musket" pistol with you. I think even liberals are fine with those?

18. diablos30

diablos30 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

8c1d38c2d4574a188eec61d9971f2ffa.jpg

19. wsfiredude

wsfiredude Hall of Shame Club Subscribed

Those motherf*ckers are out of their minds.

Zbizzle911 likes this.