Mixed emotions on Vortex Viper mini red dot

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by Gear Head, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Gear Head

Gear Head Registered Member

So I have been wanting to put a red dot on my pistol for a while so last week I finally pulled the trigger on a vortex viper and have been very excited to get it mounted and put some rounds downrange. Well it came in this morning and I got it mounted and took it to my local range. I got it close to zero'd (zeroing a pistol w/ red dot shooting offhand sucks) and started shooting some groups.

10 rounds at 15 yds

[​IMG]

5 rounds at 20 yds

[​IMG]

Target transition drill from 7 yds, rapid fire shooting in the order 1, 2, 4, 5, 3

[​IMG]

Getting used to finding the dot was a little weird but not terrible after getting used to it and should be easier when I get my rear sight back on. With the dot I was running up and down a duelling tree at 20 yds which I had trouble doing with irons on the same gun.

The issue is when I got home and started stripping the gun down for cleaning my heart dropped when I saw that the lens had a small spidering crack on one side next to the frame. The sight was brand new in the box this morning and is now cracked after 210 rounds, half of which were soft shooting 147 gr handloads and the other half factory 115 gr. Upset is an understatement since these dots seemed to have good reviews. I know they supposedly have a great warranty and customer service but at this point I'm wondering what to do. I'm obviously pleased with my shooting with it but is it really going to be this fragile? Should I shoot it as is until it affects function? Send it in for repair/replacement? I planned on shooting 3 gun with this setup and putting it through its paces but I'm kind of skeptical now.

2. Gear Head

Best picture I could get of the crack, my phone did not want to focus when that close. Left side, midway up.

[​IMG]

3. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

great writeup and pics. I'd go for a replacement and figure you just got a bad example.

4. Gear Head

I googled and couldn't find anyone else with this issue so mine could have been a fluke. That's what I'm thinking but it's still disheartening.

soreshoulder likes this.
  5. erhodes

erhodes Registered Member

I'd chalk it up to being a fluke. I'm running a deltapoint on mine and have a thousand rounds or so through it with zero issues. Had a ff3 on before it and it had no issues either. I even use my red dots as a grab point to rack my slide faster

6. 9146gt

9146gt Registered Member

Is the gun a Glock?
    Tom

7. Gear Head

8. 9146gt

9146gt Registered Member

I know of 4 Glocks that the cases hit the dot lens. One cracked Vortex was returned and replaced under warranty. This seems to be a very common ploblem. I am about to install a dot on an M&P also and will let keep you posted.
    Try to video in slow motion and see where the ejected cases are ejecting.

Tom

9. 9146gt

9146gt Registered Member

Search for brass hits me in the head with a gen 4 Glock. We have tried all weight bullets all power factor ammo and on most Glocks the brass hits the lens 5 out of 10 shots.

Tom

10. Gear Head

Interesting. My buddy asked if brass hit it but there are no markings on the frame or the lens at all, just the crack. I didn't recognize any weird brass patterns while shooting.

11. 9146gt

9146gt Registered Member

Have someone watch and video. We have come to the conclusion that brass hitting the dot is a feature not a fault.
    Tom

12. Tempestracer1

Tempestracer1 Member

I have had my viper mounted on my gen4 17 for a while now and would estimate 1500 or so rounds without an issue.My have just got a bad lens unfortunately.Ill keep a watch on mine though

13. 9146gt

9146gt Registered Member

How do you post a .mov video of brass hitting a Vortex dot on a CORE M&P?

Tom

14. Gear Head

Is it hosted on photobucket or anything?

15. 9146gt

9146gt Registered Member

No just on my computer.

Tom

16. Gear Head

If you have youtube you can upload it there then embed the url here

17. Gear Head

So just to update, I overnighted the dot to vortex yesterday at 4:30 pm. They received it at 10 or 11 this morning, repaired it, and overnighted it back to me. I should have the dot back tomorrow. That's customer service right there.

Tempestracer1 likes this.
  18. Orange97

Orange97 New Member

I'm contemplating a red dot on my g19, and leaning towards the viper as well. Bad situation, but the customer service you just described just may have sealed the deal for me. I've heard their "VIP warranty" is great but that kind of turn around is amazing. Good company, fair prices, and that kind of customer service, what a combo. Thanks for the post. Vortex just earned another customer.

Gear Head likes this.
  19. Gear Head

They advertise their turn around time as 5-7 days but I told them that I had a match on Saturday and they made sure that I received my replacement in time. For what it's worth, I asked one of the reps I spoke with if a cracked lens was a issue that they saw a lot on the vipers and they said it wasn't at all. I told them I was going to do some slow mo video to see if I could figure out what might have caused it and they asked if I could share with them if I figured anything out.

Orange97 likes this.
  20. 9146gt

9146gt Registered Member

The video will amaze you if it is like the others I have seen.

Tom