New AR Build ?s

Discussion in 'Military, Military Inspired Weapons, and C&R' started by Barrett, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Barrett

Barrett Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I want to start a new AR build. I learned a lot from my last build which was a mid-high end build using VLTOR upper and lower and a lot of Barnes parts. I want this build to be done right and using the parts I really want meaning it will end up being a high end rifle.

The problem is I went ahead and purchased a RRA lower on a whim one day before the election when I thought Hildabeast might win. Do I just build a mut rifle and be done with it or do I go ahead and start building what I really want and possibly switch out the lower later.

2. shauk

shauk Registered Member

Well, I'm not the guy to answer your questions, but is there something wrong with the RRA lower?

Neckball likes this.
  3. 613jmm

613jmm U. S. Military Club Subscribed

I have had a hard time mating some uppers to an RRA lower. It had been mentioned that they might spec their hole spacing a little different so only their uppers fit their lowers easily.

I don't know if it is true. But since you already bought it, just make sure it mates to your upper well, and use it. There is nothing wrong with RRA stuff.

A build is still just going to be a build. The heart will be the barrel and the BCG.

4. ZedHound

ZedHound Hall of Shame

Do it right the first time or you'll just spend more later. Save the lower for another build and get what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Mark Brooks

Mark Brooks Registered Member

What is wrong with the RRA ? Unless you get something like the cheap Omni you should be okay. The polymer ones are the ones to avoid from all I've read. Everyone talks about the Anderson's but I find nothing wrong with them they perform great for me. Good barrel , good BCG and good LPK and you should be fine.
    Oooor put the RRA up for sale and see if you get any bites and if you do sell it , then buy what you want. Just saying

6. Barrett

Nothing really wrong the RRA. But I consider it middle of the road in quality and desirability.

7. SlowShot

SlowShot Registered Member

Middle of the road "BRAND and desirability" is how i would describe RRA.

Seems to me if you do not want a "mut rifle" the only way to go is factory built
    Jmo

8. Barrett

Mut was probably not the right term to use. Mut = a gun built from what one considers the best of each part. I actually prefer a "Mut" rifle over a factory build.

9. Barrett

Ended up getting a compete .300BO rifle from Black Rifle Works in Garner and an extra .223 Wylde barreled complete upper from them as well. The quality of the parts and build would have been difficult at best to replicate on my own.

Attached Files: