On the way: Howa 1500 308 carbine heavy barrel

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by cfarmd, Dec 12, 2016.

1. cfarmd

cfarmd Registered Member

I couldn't wait...had to share the details. After a lot of reading, asking questions, visiting gun shops, etc etc I finally made my decision.

--Howa 1500 varmiter 20 inch heavy barrel chambered in 308
    barrel comes threaded from the factory, which weighed heavily (pun intended) on the decision to move forward with the heavy barrel version
    --Talley 20moa picatinny rail for the scope base. plan to bed this if needed
    --Vortex crossfire ii 6-24x50 glass
    --Tiptop EZ pivot bipod

I am very patiently (NOT!) awaiting shipment from grabagun.

hoping to gain some experience with longer distance shooting. I think I have a good platform to build on with the proven howa 1500 action and HACT trigger.

elenaidan likes this.
  2. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

Howa makes a great action.

3. cfarmd

cfarmd Registered Member

I spent too much time researching rifles before landing on the weatherby vanguard. further research led me to howa, and when I found the carbine HB that came threaded from the factory...sold. grabagun had a fantastic price on the rifle with very inexpensive shipping (mere $6).

elenaidan likes this.
  4. georgel

georgel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

You know the Vanguard is a Howa 1500. Sniper Central builds their basic sniper package on this gun. They are intrinsically accurate. You won't be disappointed. More options like adjustable chassis and removable magazines are now available.

elenaidan likes this.
  5. cfarmd

cfarmd Registered Member

George, yes I was aware. The ability to convert to detachable mags also had a significant impact on the decision. I was also aware the SC uses this action and FCG too. should be here Thursday can't wait to get hands on

6. Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I looked at Howas before I bought my savage .308 years ago. Then I bought a Howa 1500 in .223 and the out of the box accuracy was amazing

7. Mursenary

Mursenary Registered Member

Great pick up! Im very happy with my savage, but the Howa's are also great guns for the money. Have fun and take the upgrades slow lol. Its easy to blow hundreds (even thousands) on accessories and have no money left over to shoot the damn thing

8. cfarmd

cfarmd Registered Member

looked hard at savage, but read that QC declined in recent years. no first hand experience. the accutrigger is pretty awesome for factory grade work

Mursenary likes this.
  9. GSRswapandslow

GSRswapandslow Member

should have gotten a better caliber