PSA Build Finished

Discussion in 'Carolinas 1911 Forum' started by mdd, Nov 16, 2016.

1. mdd

mdd Member

Last year, I bought a couple PSA frames, slides and barrels with the intent to do simple builds, make some mistakes, and gain some skills. The plan was to source a bunch of cheap components and play.

Well, that didn't work out as planned. Once I finally started in on the build, I had changed my mind about the detail at least a few times.

With quite a bit of help and guidance from Phil at Raceguns, here is what I ended up with.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

The only part of the original plan that didn't change is that I used the PSA SS frame. The only modification made to the frame was drilling and tapping to attach the scope mount.

The scope mount is from Weigand. The back part of the mount was cut off and reshaped to eliminate all of the excess. I didn't need the full length rail to mount the short Vortex Viper Red Dot.

The slide started as an STI Classic with no sight cuts, serrations, or logos. I marked it up with a Sharpie and Phil went at it with the mill. Lots of lightening, flat top, and cocking serrations on the rear.

The barrel is from Clark Custom Guns and came with the bushing and compensator. Phil took care of properly fitting the barrel/comp to the frame/slide.

The Mag-Guide is from S&A and started with a smooth / flat rear surface. The rear cuts were done on a mill. We tried a bunch of different cuts, angles, and tools using some scrap material till we found something I liked. Maybe Phil remembers the details of what was finally used the get the final pattern.

The rest of the components are a mix of high quality stuff from Wilson, Ed Brown, Nowlin, Infinity, Cylinder & Slide, Smith & Alexander, and VZ. I was able to fit all of these small parts with just file and stone work. Surprisingly, no parts were ruined in the fitting process.

After the initial fitting was complete, safety checks done, and test firing a box of ammo, it was time for the finishing to start. Phil applied Sniper Grey Cerakote to the frame, slide, compensator, and scope mount. I polished all of the exposed SS components to nearly a mirror finish.

I had a chance this weekend to visit the range with the final product. It went bang every time. No jams or other troubles. Recoil is very gentle. Since the Red Dot is mounted to the frame, you never loose the sight picture as the slide is cycling. The dot moves around a little while the slide is cycling but it's very close to being back on target a soon as the slide returns to battery. Also, the slide cycle time should be a bit shorter than normal since the slide is lightened.

Next time I am shooting outside, I plan to get a slow motion video of this setup and a standard 1911 to compare. It should be interesting to see the movement during firing.

The only thing I plan to change is to order another set of the same VZ grips but in Grey. I just temporarily borrowed these from another gun.

2. B00GER

B00GER Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I find your work extremely pleasing to my gunbone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlee12 likes this.
  3. gator45

gator45 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Nice Build...

4. mdd

mdd Member

Thanks for all of the compliments via the thread, likes, and several PM's.
    I took advantage of the VZ Black Friday sale and ordered a couple sets of grips and some misc part, one set to finish this gun.
    For this gun I ordered the Operator II in Black with the mag release scoop and flat bottoms for the Magwell. Should finish off the gun nicely.
    Some of the recent PM's were to ask about specific details on parts selection, fitting, and the machine work that was done. Feel free to continue the PM's and I will answer as best I can.
    For some of the more detailed questions about fitting the compensated barrel or machine work that was done, feel free to contact Phil at Raceguns (336-705-8967). He is much more knowledgeable about those details than me.

mpw003 likes this.
  5. ZedHound

ZedHound Hall of Shame

Very nice. A custom built 1911 is on the list of things for me todo. Not sure when I'll get to it

6. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

That is sweet. Nice job.

7. ZedHound

ZedHound Hall of Shame

Did you really need 5 screws for the mount or was that to cover the holes?

8. mdd

mdd Member

The mount comes from Weigand with 5 countersunk screw holes on each side. The 4 front most screws on each side must be tapped into the very thin frame material in that area (0.050" thick). The screws started as 6-40 3/8 long and were shortened quite a bit so they would end up flush on the inside (any protrusion beyond flush could interfere with the recoil spring or slide). Given the frame thickness and screw thread pitch, that gives just 2 threads of engagement. Only the back most screw on each side has substantial frame thickness to attach and was left full length. All are installed with blue Loctite.
    So yes, 5 screws each side are needed.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016