Putting a safe on hardwood floors

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by jimmyt, Dec 19, 2016.

1. jimmyt

jimmyt Registered Member

I am moving my safe from my garage into my extra bedroom closet tomorrow so that it can be in a temperature controlled environment. Do I need to put anything under the safe when it is in its final resting place or is it fine just being on the hardwood floors?

cbullings likes this.
  2. wasmeneh

wasmeneh Registered Member

I would put some plywood down first, save the floor from dents and scratches

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RetiredUSNChief likes this.
  3. Djstorm100

Djstorm100 Carolina Firearms F Club Subscribed

A safe has less PSI than a king size bed with two people on it.

4. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

Maybe so...but moving them is hard on the floors. And then there's what happens if you get something hard between the steel bottom and the floor when placing it.

gutdoc likes this.
  5. Kc4wd

Kc4wd Registered Member

In a closet, cant be that big or heavy of a safe. (assumption) Protect the floor while moving it. once its in place don't worry about the floor, BOLT it down!

6. MacEntyre

MacEntyre Vendor Vendor

A friend put one in his closet, only to find that the floor joists sagged...
    we moved it to an exterior wall in his office across the hall.
    'Spose to be against an exterior wall, anyhow...
    that helps, should the house burn down.

7. Djstorm100

Djstorm100 Carolina Firearms F Club Subscribed

small floor rug, turn it up side down. Place under safe and slide it around all you want. Take everything out, open safe door and use the door as leverage to tilt on it's side to place mats.

RetiredUSNChief likes this.
  8. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider here...

The safe is steel. The flooring is wood. Even though the actual weight of the safe may not cause damage to the wood because of the even weight distribution over the entire area of the bottom of the safe, you're still sitting steel onto the wood surface with no other protection worth mentioning.

This could lead to some flooring damage over the long term, if only superficially to the surface and finish, due to moisture accumulation (caused by some temperature variations between the wood and the steel) and potential corrosion of any exposed steel and the resulting contact of the rusty portion with the wood.

Placing something between the safe and the floor is a very small price to pay to avoid these types of issues.

9. Cochise

Cochise Registered Member

All you really need for a temperature controlled environment is a Golden Rod. It's cheap and keeps the inside of the safe at the correct constant temperature and humidity.
    Add a container of Damp Rid for extra measure. Leave it in the garage and bolt it to the concrete floor.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...humidifier-rod-with-detachable-plug-110v-gold

Patriot1 likes this.
  10. JHorne

JHorne Registered Member

This is my plan as well. Leaving the safe in the garage will allow me to have a larger safe too, so I will let the golden rod do the work.

11. Patriot1

Patriot1 Registered Member

I use a large black cattle stall mat cut to the base size of my safe with a sheet rock knife to place on the concrete floor where my safe sits. You can buy them at Tractor Supply - inch thick and works great $40. Keeps the bottom of the safe dry and like new and it sits about an 1" higher incase your floor gets wet. Also I have a plug in dehumidifier wand inside and have had no issues.

FWIW - I called Liberty safe when I first ordered my safe and they reccomended placing the safe where you have the least amount of temperature change in your home. For me it's in the basement as my garage gets hot during the summer heat and (hot cars) and just cold in winter.

I agree with bolting it down on a concrete floor if you place it inside a garage. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017