RAM Arms - Durham

Discussion in 'Dealer & Firearm Reviews | Critiques' started by Type44, May 8, 2013.

1. Type44

Type44 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Searched here and nothing came up about RAM Arms. They're on Hillsborough St. in Durham. I dropped a sheath off for repair with a shoe cobbler nearby. Didn't have time to drop in, but searched on "RAM Arms" via google, and lo and behold: a gun store.

Those with first hand experience?

2. BurnedOutGeek

BurnedOutGeek SlayerNut - RIP

3. morgantm

morgantm Member

I've been in there multiple times and purchased one gun from them. Never had a issue with service and when I was in last month they had a decent stock of everything. Prices are comparable to the other local stores and service is great, recommend stopping by and checking them out for yourself.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I bought 200rds of 45acp 230gr LRN there last week $10 per hundred. Friendly folks.
    Quite a bit of reloading supplies for times like these. They are right up the street from me.
    Better by far than the alternative over over on roxboro (dipstick gunsmithing.)

5. rantingredneck

rantingredneck Disposable apparently Lifetime Member

Yep, a board sponsor that I haven't had a chance to visit yet. Need to stop in the next time work takes me to Raleigh. Which is too damn often these days..........

6. ericridebike

ericridebike Member

Been in several times and it is a nice place. The guys in there are super friendly and very helpful. Well worth a visit.

7. JasonR

JasonR New Member

I concur with the others. Very helpful staff.
    They are working on getting a full gunsmith shop up and running. It's partially operational now.

8. DACarryman

DACarryman Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I stopped into Ram Armory in Durham this weekend. Had the whole store to myself as entered a bit after opening. Was just looking and told that to James and Richard. They were cool about it....told them I saw them first on CSC. They stock Frog Lube and educated me about it. Also shared what they are building for AR's of which I don't know much about. Would like to set up an apt to speak with them more about building me one. James took a few extra minutes and showed me a fine looking Iver Johnson Tan full size 1911 and a Para match 1911. Inventory is a little limited but their website says they can get anything for you and my guess is they would be happy to do so. I intend to go back and make at least 1 purchase - maybe 2.

9. Aggie29

Aggie29 Member

I'm on my way over there today to buy some ammo and tart building my reloading equipment. I've got to go shoot. been in Jamaica for a week and I missed shooting my babies. But yeah really good guys and love talking with them.

10. DACarryman

RAM Arms Custom AR15 Build

Well I was going to build my own AR15 but decided to do a custom job from The RAM Armory in Durham. I talked to the owner, Richard, about the build with some components I had investigated online. He said these were good items but would take a while to get in so he offered me a fluted barrel and a pretty good matching handguard, both from YHM. I think that for what you get, it is a better deal than buying a stock item. Great customer service, advice, quick build (depending), and a lifetime warranty. They also did Frog Lube inside and out as well as bore sited the MBUS that I brought in from a planned build. Pictures and parts list below (of course you can get these from RAM Arms):

THANKS RAM ARMS Great Job!!!!

Starting From the Front

01_Ram Arms Rifle.jpg 02_Ram Arms Barrel.jpg 03_Ram Arms Handguard.jpg 04_Ram Arms Receiver.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  11. elenaidan

elenaidan Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Seem to be good folks. Stopped in several times and they had lots of ammo at decent prices (if there is anything like that anymore). Just consigned a gun Friday with them. We'll see how it goes.

12. cranbiz

cranbiz Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

They are good people and have decent prices on accessories, etc. Guns were on the high side.

I bought some .22lr ammo on line and was able to pickup in the store. They made a mistake and didn't limit the ammo before I bought it and placed a limit afterwards and they honored my order.

The ammo (Federal Gold Target is CRAP) but that's not Ram's fault.

13. DACarryman

14. elenaidan

elenaidan Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Been by several times and bought a few things. Always pleasant and helpful. Nice folks. Good terms for consignments and usually has a great stock of practice ammo. They load their own and as long as they can get the materials.

15. jayne

jayne Apprentice Goat Wrangler Club Subscribed

I picked up an XDs in .45 from them a few weeks ago. Price was ok, maybe a little high, but unlike the other shops I went to they had one in stock and I wanted one. Quick transaction and I was on my way. Selection was sorta limited compared to some other stores, but since they had exactly what I was looking for it was good enough for me. :)

16. Stick

Stick Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Bought my CZ P-07 there last summer. Good guys, had a limited selection at that time but good quality stuff for a reasonable price. It's nice to have another gun store in Durham where they actually believe in customer service.

17. drftman

drftman Member

they always seem to acknowledge me and be friendly. i have never bought anyhting out of the 4 or so times ive been in there. just didnt find anything i needed. they dont have a huge selection and prices are a little steep. i will continue to stop in maybe i will find something i need. as long as they have good service and are friendly ill will continue to stop in.

18. C Rain

C Rain Registered Member

Stopped in today and looked around. Fondled a couple pieces and bought three AR magazines. Very helpful and courteous staff. I will definitely go back when in the area.

19. tanstaafl72555

tanstaafl72555 Permanently Banned Lifetime Member

I just did an FFL transfer with them. Extremely cheery, eager to serve, competent, professional, brisk and pleasant.

There was a bit of confusion over what I was quoted over the phone vs what showed up at the register for the fee, but YOU CAN TELL when someone is trying to scam you and when there was just a confusion. Don't know whether the error was mine or theirs... and don't care. I still wound up with a decent price, and a pleasant exchange, nice people and a good deal on a handgun.

I am happy to support them.

20. Have gun-will travel

Have gun-will travel Member

They are out of business now