Reholstering while sitting

Discussion in 'SC Concealed Carry' started by PierWithBeer, Dec 6, 2016.

1. PierWithBeer

PierWithBeer Registered Member

Hi everyone - I finally got my SC CWP (Only 58 Days!). Still very new to me but I am learning and I think I am doing pretty well.

One point of confusion that I have is that I frequently have to go in to ban zones (mainly work, or schools for events) and I have to leave my carry pistol (G43) in the car.

My question is - how does one safely reholster while in the car? I am a fairly big guy ({edit}5'10{/edit}" 240 lbs) with a fairly large spare tire. How do y'all deal with this? Do you just leave your carry pieces at home? Do you attempt to reholster while sitting (I like to carry at 3:30 - 4)? Do you stand up and reholster while partially in the car (Seems like it is probably illegal), or do you take the holster out, reholster, and put it back on?

Advice welcome!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

5 feet and 50 inches! That's 9 feet tall!

NonamehaveI and fieldgrade like this.
  3. scmoose

scmoose Member

I take the holster and blaster out together while standing behind my door. When I get back in I re-holster with blaster in the holster standing behind the open door.

NoKimberDave and NonamehaveI like this.
  4. PierWithBeer

o_O The dutch breed em' big! Meant to say 5'10" lol

5. Threshold

Threshold Hall of Shame

If I couldn't do it sitting, this is what I would immediately go to. Open the door to about 30 degrees and turn so that the holster (and blaster) are masked from plain view.

6. scmoose

scmoose Member

I use a very simple IWB kydex holster with one belt clip, I can unholster and reholster with one hand.

NoKimberDave and Beef15 like this.
  7. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

Best advice I can offer you is do not attempt to wrangle your pistol into a holster you're wearing while you are sitting in the car Maybe stow it in the console and holster later when you can stand

Wahoo95 and fieldgrade like this.
  8. fieldgrade

fieldgrade is gone Lifetime Member

Good advice right there. About the only place I don't carry is inside the post office. If I am headed there I put my EDC in the console before I leave to go, and reholster once I arrive wherever it is I'm going from there.

9. Geezer

Geezer Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

In the rare event that I leave my gun in the truck, I just slide it back into my pocket upon return.

10. Threshold

Threshold Hall of Shame

If it works for you, single clip holsters frequently allow you to remove pistol and holster together. Provides protection over the trigger when putting it back on...

11. GreatGazoo

GreatGazoo Registered Member

I work at a place where, with a CHP, one must (legally) move the handgun from holster to secured storage (or vice versa) inside of the locked car.

1. I am able to reholster by moving my hip in the drivers seat. I have a SA/DA so have a bit of added "protection," but try to be very careful and aware of my hand/fingers as I reholster. "Hidden is hidden" until its not: I would not risk an encounter with LE by having the door open when carrying out the transfer. With a striker fired handgun, I might actually consider sliding off the holster; holster the weapon; sliding back on the holster (or reverse).

2. Not sure of SC laws, but in NC I will eventually install a car-mounted holster that has a faux-leather zipper cover. I could move the handgun from the safe to this holster whilst on controlled property. Depending on SC laws, you might wish this alternative to on-body carry within the car in general as well as on controlled property before/after transfer to the storage location.

12. fieldgrade

fieldgrade is gone Lifetime Member

I just received one from Chief Jason today and just now tried it on.

image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  13. Beef15

Beef15 Well-Known Member

This.

B00GER likes this.
  14. Catfish

Catfish 'Murica! eh? Club Subscribed

All I'm saying is that it's way more important to be safe than be concealed. Standing outside your vehicle and holstering your firearm is not as big a deal as some imagine it might be. People are oblivious most of the time and your car screens you from view.

J.Boyette likes this.
  15. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I swear this crowd would over think picking their nose.....

16. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

right hand or left hand?

17. Bailey Boat

Bailey Boat Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Back to front or front to back with a crooked pick at the end??? Decisions, decisions....

18. RockRiver

RockRiver Member

I too use a single clip holster from @chiefjason and it is very easy to put the entire holster back on while seated, the gun never has to leave the holster.

19. Goofyfoot2001

Goofyfoot2001 Active Member

Have been waiting almost a month for my renewal in SC

20. J.Boyette

J.Boyette Teacher of the Craft Lifetime Member

Same here. I have been known to OPEN CARRY and forget to Cover it up and do so in public. Oh my....

To the OP, do not worry about it.

Get that gun on when you can

21. GreatGazoo

With respect, in situations as described by the OP, one does have to worry about it. The law puts one in a d****d if you do, d****d if you don't situation: if one exits the (locked) vehicle to holster/unholster, one is breaking state statute risking LE intervention (and possibly losing one's job); if one holsters within the car, it is potentially less safe than when standing (and a negligent discharge would likewise bring ill consequences).

A car-mounted holster that can be concealed (see: https://www.grassburr.com/catalog/mountable-holsters/concealment-covers) seems to offer a good compromise.

22. J.Boyette

J.Boyette Teacher of the Craft Lifetime Member

It does not work like that with work and the Po-Po. Every situation is handled like adults on both parties. I have had many run in's with the Po-Po. Armed and unarmed. Its real simple, be polite, be respectful of the position and exercising your god given rights is not something to be spooked about.

Car mounted holster is a great idea for anyone.

23. PierWithBeer

Thanks for the advice, y'all. Think I found a solution that works. Bought some heavy duty velcro strips from Home Depot, but the soft side on the inside of my kydex holster. Put the rough side inside the console. When it comes time to drive long distances or de-holster for work, I just slap it inside the console. Makes for an easy draw in the event I am attacked while seated in the vehicle. Win-win. We'll see how it passes the test of time.

NoKimberDave and fieldgrade like this.
  24. GreatGazoo

Well, I'll be sure to quote you when campus police arrest me for getting out of my car for some firearm titivation and the university fires me for violating university regulations and state statute.

25. JimB

JimB Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

The university rule is that you can be armed on campus so long as you don't exit your vehicle? Curious, hadn't seen that.

If I worked at a place where carry was not possible I would likely never carry, just have something at home and in the car. Too much trouble to be moving things around a few times a day.

26. B00GER

B00GER Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I work for a bank, so no carry at work. So I empathize

I wear a hybrid style IWB every day. When I get to work I remove my pistol and put it in a separate kydex holster I keep hidden in the center console. When I get back in the car I just leave it there until I leave. Normally my next stop is a place that being seen bolstering a gun isn't a big deal...stores, home, Chads house, the basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fieldgrade likes this.
  27. GreatGazoo

Only with a CHP and ...§ 14-269.2.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to an employee of an institution of higher education as defined in G.S. 116-143.1 or a nonpublic post-secondary educational institution who resides on the campus of the institution at which the person is employed when all of the following criteria are met:

{cut}

(k) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person who has a concealed handgun permit that is valid under Article 54B of this Chapter, or who is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to that Article, if any of the following conditions are met:

(1) The person has a handgun in a closed compartment or container within the person's locked vehicle or in a locked container securely affixed to the person's vehicle and only unlocks the vehicle to enter or exit the vehicle while the firearm remains in the closed compartment at all times and immediately locks the vehicle following the entrance or exit.

(2) The person has a handgun concealed on the person and the person remains in the locked vehicle and only unlocks the vehicle to allow the entrance or exit of another person.

(3) The person is within a locked vehicle and removes the handgun from concealment only for the amount of time reasonably necessary to do either of the following:

a. Move the handgun from concealment on the person to a closed compartment or container within the vehicle.

b. Move the handgun from within a closed compartment or container within the vehicle to concealment on the person.

(l) It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution under subsection (b) or (f) of this section that the person was authorized to have a concealed handgun in a locked vehicle pursuant to subsection (k) of this section and removed the handgun from the vehicle only in response to a threatening situation in which deadly force was justified pursuant to G.S. 14-51.3.

28. JimB

JimB Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Thanks, seems convoluted. If you want to carry you could carry concealed in a shoulder rig. Leave your jacket and gun in the car and then openly wear the empty rig into the office and hang it over your office door or cubicle wall during the day. Or carry in a messenger bag, wouldn't look out of place in your environment.

29. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

As you can see, there's not necessarily one "correct" answer that will fit all needs.

First of all, one has to read (and understand) one's jurisdictional laws governing when one can and cannot carry concealed. NC law and SC law, for example, are not identical on the matter.

Second, one has to understand the bare bones requirements...the "bottom line", if you will...of what those laws intend for the final, legal physical condition of the firearm.

Third, you have to consider the best avenue for you, in whatever given scenario you may be in, in order for you to transition from one position to the other position for your firearm.

Lots can go into how this is considered. The type of holster you are wearing, how and where you're wearing it, the size of the firearm, the condition you carry it in, where you need to transition it to or from, etc. And yes, as you pointed out, your body shape can also greatly influence this.

Holster differences alone can make a big difference. I carry IWB with a Milt Sparks Criterion holster. This holster has magnetic belt loops. It's easy-peasy for me to flip the snaps, slide the entire holster out with the gun securely holstered in it, and put it wherever I need. Reversing the process isn't much more difficult. The benefits are that it's convenient AND the gun never leaves the holster, which increases the safety margin considerably. ESPECIALLY for guns with no manual safety.

A holster with a reinforced mouth (which mine has) means removing and reholstering a firearm is a cinch. This is because the mouth of the holster does not "collapse" when the gun is removed. Kydex also benefits from this.

Body shape, as you pointed out, can make a large difference. Having a "spare tire" makes any removal/replacement of a gun/holster inherent more difficult. Especially in tight confines.

SO...how you transition from one condition to the next is a combination of several factors. You can make some adjustments by modifying aspects of each factor, within limitations.