Remington 1100 fail to feed (only first round)

Discussion in 'Shotgun Forum' started by ruffinit, Jul 27, 2016.

1. ruffinit

ruffinit Registered Member

Gang, I ran into a strange issue this past weekend with the Remington 1100 Tactical that I shoot in close quarters matches. Per the match rules, the bolt was closed on an empty chamber and the magazine tube was stoked up as per the stage requirements. When I racked the bolt back to chamber the first round, it locked back as if the gun was empty. When I hit the bolt release underneath, the gun chambered the first round and then ran fine.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction to address this issue? My current plan is to tear the gun all the way down and clean and oil everything. It's also getting new a new gas 0-ring. I am hoping that this will correct the issue, but it would be nice to know what specifically would be causing it so I can also pay extra close attention to wear and/or fouling on that specific part.

Thanks in advance!!

Ruffy

2. lucky13bullets

lucky13bullets Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

my 11-87 does the same thing, if you want the bolt to close by itself you need to rack it, push the door to close the bolt, load up the tube, then pull the trigger... the next round will come back and hit the lever to close the bolt like it was just fired...

there is something in the trigger that prevents the bolt from returning to battery unless the gun was just fired and the shell has to hit the lever with enough force to trip it to close

3. ruffinit

That might solve my issue for the moment. I am still hopeful that the complete teardown and cleaning will solve it overall, though. I have run this gun for quite a while now and this only just cropped up this past weekend, so something changed. I hope that something is dirt and not that there is something broken.

Thanks!
    Ruffy

4. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Registered Member

Interesting. If a complete tear down and cleaning does not help, try holding down the bolt release while you are racking it back to chamber a round so that it will automatically go forward in to battery. Try this with snap caps to see if it works. Just a though for I am only minimally familiar with the workings of a semi-auto shotgun.

5. lucky13bullets

interesting, my 11-87 has been like this from day 1

6. lucky13bullets

the bolt release on remingtons is the loading door...

holding the door depressed will not allow a shell to feed

Mad Dawg likes this.
  7. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification Lucky!!! Like I said, I am not too familiar with semi-auto shotguns. My experience with them has been with them having a bolt release button on the side of the receiver.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  8. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

New problem, I'm guessing dirty. O ring is for cycling while shooting to capture and route the gas. Won't hurt to replace it though. I have one of a 20 ga that needs swapped out soon. My daughter always loads her's from an open bolt for sporting clays or skeet so not much experience racking one from the tube.

9. Cochise

Cochise Registered Member

I pulled out my lightly used R-1100 12 gauge and tested the closing in the fashion you described. (ie. Bolt closed on empty chamber and shell in magazine). Mine would not release the carrier or bolt and kept the bolt locked back just as yours is doing now. I believe this is normal function. I do know, as Lucky stated, the shell has to release back from the magazine with enough force to trip the carrier latch. I then attempted to duplicate the way yours used to function. I tried 2 shells in the magazine to increase the force. That did not work. I then loaded a shell with 3 oz of lead (no wad, powder and a spent primer). That did not work. However, if I pulled back and let the bolt go just before it reached all the way back, it would sometimes go to battery and load a shell. I'm guessing that is how yours operated before. There may have been a slight restriction prior to the bolt going all the way back which put the bolt in that perfect position and allowed it to function or mal-function. I asked several friend to test their R-1100's and theirs operate as mine does and the way yours operates now. Consider how you would unload a R-1100 in the field with many shells in the magazine. You would pull the bolt back and it would lock. You would then roll the receiver to it's side and remove the shell that just popped out of the magazine and then repeat the process. Otherwise your shells would be flying all over the place. I could be wrong but, as I said, I believe your R-1100 is now broken-in and operating as it should.

10. Cochise

Cochise Registered Member

Well, dang.....I checked with my gunsmith and he says the carrier should activate and the bolt should go to battery as yours used to. I also just got off the phone with Remington and their tech says the same thing, but he sounded unsure. Yesterday I tried another R-1100 at the club and finally found one that works as yours did... but it was an R-1100 competition with a Timney release trigger, so maybe not a good test. I remembered that I had a spare trigger for my R-1100 in my safe. I put that in and low and behold it released the bolt every time. That seems to pin this issue down to the trigger group. Looking at the parts of my 2 trigger groups, I found that the one that works, as yours did, has a significantly different carrier and different latch. The one that works also has much less latch travel. First the group that works has a tang on the left side of the carrier that curves behind the latch whereas the one that doesn't work has no tang. Second the one that works has a latch that is angled 45 degrees on the right side compared to the one that doesn't work which is straight. See that R-1100_yes pic for the one that does release and see R-1100_no for the one that does not. These parts differences may mean nothing but I don't have another explanation. I haven't solved your problem but I did try. This may explain why some guns work one way and others work another way but not why yours did release and then did not. I suggest you pull your trigger group out and see if it looks like the R-1100_yes and check for broken parts. I also suggest you clean your trigger group with action cleaner and blow it out really good. Then spray with Rem oil or dry lube. The gunsmith also suggested cleaning the mag tube and follower and lube with rem oil.
    Installing a new latch may also help.

Attached Files:

11. ruffinit

Just thought I would post a quick update.

I cleaned the flying bejeepers out of my darling and now she seems to be running like her old self again. Match tomorrow, so I guess I will find out for certain then.

Ruffy

12. ruffinit

Yup. After cleaning the guts of gunk I'm back to 100% function.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mr. Warren Peace and Friday like this.
  13. Friday

Friday Just the Facts Ma'am. Club Subscribed

Thanks for the update.
    Just about every shotgun issue I've had, a good cleaning and fresh oil brought it back to good.