Rifle recommendations please

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Flashpoint, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I want a reliably accurate sub moa rifle that won't break my small piggy bank to buy or to shoot, so I'm looking toward rimfires. What reasonably affordable out of the box rinfire rifles can I count on to shoot 1 moa or less with match ammo? Doesn't need to be semi auto, bolt action is fine, but I do want a threaded barrel. I appreciate your recommendations.

2. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

CZ 452 or 455 would be what I would suggest. You can go 22LR, 22Mag or 17 HMR. Plus they have combo deals with multi caliber options with different barrels. There is a ton of information on them at Rimfire central. The CZ 512 is a sleeper too if you want a semi. Very accurate rifles for the $$.

ArbowAxle and NoKimberDave like this.
  3. Cmercaldo

Cmercaldo Registered Member

Ruger 10-22 for life!!
    Savage SVFR or my fater-in-law just won a Marlin XT-22 and I am amazed with its accuracy

4. Studentofthegun

Studentofthegun Hall of Shame

Bingo.

If you want something a little cheaper, I will echo Cris' suggestion of a Savage FVSR. It happens that I own both a FVSR and a CZ455 Suppressor Ready rifle. The CZ isn't called the "poor man's Anschutz" for nothing.

[​IMG]

First day at 50 yards. Just used the first brand of ammo I grabbed out of the range bag. Groups below shot by three different people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fishgutzy and Wahoo95 like this.
  5. Flashpoint

Very nice! I take it these groups were with the FVSR?

6. Studentofthegun

Those are with the CZ 455 Suppressor Ready. I have a FVSR too, and it shoots really well, but not quite as good as the CZ.

Granted, when I say "not quite" I mean it's really really close. Savage makes a heck of a rifle. Don't let the price point fool you (~$240). It'll shoot.

The CZ is just a little bit better. But in the interest of full disclosure, I expect my rifle to be able to cut golf tees in half at 50 yards with ammo that costs $7 per 50 or less.

We have a little game we play on the range. My friend as I both shoot suppressed CZs and suppressed Savage FVSRs (we both own one of each). We shoot the paintballs off first, and then we cut the golf tees in half. There are sporter benchrest guys who can do better, but for outdoor stuff that ain't too bad. The groups in the previous post were shot in the rain...

Here's our paintball reactive target contraption.

[​IMG]

Wahoo95 and JimP42 like this.
  7. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

It's not the sexy answer but the Marlin XT-22 is my choice. I have it paired with a Bushnell .22 2-7x scope and did these at 50yds when testing various ammo through my suppressor. There was some wind that day and had one flyer in the first two groups but stuck the 3rd group on the money.

Federal High Velocity copper HP
    [​IMG]

CCI Standard LRN 1070fps
    [​IMG]

CCI Subsonic LHP 1050fps
    [​IMG]

Also shot AE Suppressor .22 that day but can't find the picture

The Marlin came with an adjustable trigger, threaded 22" barrel and shoots like a champ

Studentofthegun likes this.
  8. Studentofthegun

Accuracy is what I find sexy. Don't much care if the rest of the rifle looks like a piece of driftwood.

kcult and DLam like this.
  9. JimP42

JimP42 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Another vote for CZs here. Ultra Lux or trainer for irons, one of the other models for a scope. Various barrel profiles and stock types - whatever floats your boat. 455s change barrels easily if you want 22 mag or 17hmr options (I just still with 22LR). 452s aren't available in as many models as they used to be, but are sometimes still available new. I have... several. Not sure how that happened exactly.

10. nc-by-the-c

nc-by-the-c Member

This^^ they dominate the youth smallbore shooting competitions for a reason...

11. captharley

captharley Registered Member

I am a Ruger American fan. 17 HMR with a threaded barrel is less than $400. Put a decent Nikon or Mueller scope on it and you will get 10 shot groups at 100 yards the size of a nickel.

12. RonSC

RonSC Registered Member

Another plug for the CZ ...I own three 452's and would spring for another in a heartbeat...Great rifles fit, finish, function and ACCURATE to a fault..!

13. Flashpoint

I like the RA too, have one in 300BLK. I admit the prospect of a rifle and caliber combination that accurate and much more capable than 22lr that still doesn't break the bank is tempting, but the whole reason for the threaded barrel is to run a suppressor and I expect 17HMR would probably still require hearing protection even suppressed.

14. Flashpoint

I've long been a fan of the Marlin "micro groove" rifling, the 22mag I had was super accurate. Marlin wasn't a brand that came to mind when I was thinking along the lines of a threaded heavy barrel 22 though. Thanks for the update.

15. NoKimberDave

NoKimberDave Off to Greener Pastures Club Subscribed

SOTG was just letting me shoot this a couple days ago. Stock rifle and cheap scope: picking empty .22 cases off the target stand, even with my less than stellar precision skillz.

Last time he let me shoot it we were rolling golf balls off the hundred yard range and into the bushes.

When my can comes in one of these will be mine!

16. cranbiz

cranbiz Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I really like my Savage FVSR. Put it in a Boyds stock and run CCI standard thru a AAC pilot. Shoots better than I do 99.999% of the time.

The CZ is a sweet gun too, just was out of my price range at the time.

Studentofthegun and pirate like this.
  17. joel903

joel903 Registered Member

Cz is my vote. I own 2 and they're very accurate. If you can, try to find the 453 . It comes with the set trigger. Mine was shooting horse flies with cci stingers.

18. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

delete

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  19. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

Just picked up another CZ 452! Had a Trainer now have an American! Bolt is a little rough, but everything else is perfect. Little bit of lube and some rounds downt he pipe and it will be good to go. The CZ's aren't perfect, but they are a very good rifle for the $$. Plus you can buy several different versions that all use the same mags. Kinda nice versatility.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  20. Larry Kool

Larry Kool Registered Member

I would go with the Marlin. They have always been known for their accuracy.