Right-to-Carry Confidentiality Legislation Overwhelmingly Passes NC House

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry | National 2A Laws' started by drypowder, Mar 26, 2013.

1. drypowder

drypowder Les Deplorables Club Subscribed

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/s...-legislation-overwhelmingly-passes-house.aspx

Today, the North Carolina House of Representatives passed House Bill 17 by a 97-20 vote. HB 17, introduced by state Representative Justin Burr (R-67), would make information regarding permittees -- including those who have acquired a permit to purchase a handgun and those who have obtained a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) -- accessible only to law enforcement.

This legislation is critical to protect the privacy of law-abiding gun owners in the Tar Heel State, especially given instances of anti-gun media outlets publishing information regarding CHP holders. North Carolinians deserve the same protections that residents in 36 other states already enjoy due to Right-to-Carry confidentiality laws in place.

House Bill 17 will now go to the state Senate where it will be assigned to a committee for further consideration.

Let's get on our state senators. Here's the list by county: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/members/memberList.pl?sChamber=senate

Let's get this done and then we can thank/taunt WRAL for helping spark this legislation.

2. trcubed

trcubed well...bye Lifetime Member

I see they didn't get restaurant carry back in the bill...

3. golfer

golfer Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

What a shame....looks like ole Tilly has to go!

4. Chambered

Chambered Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Unearthed for continued discussion.
    I checked for other threads on this but didn't find one. Didn't we wind up legally protecting the identities of Concealed Handgun Permit holders in NC? All I could find in the books was Section 19.G.S.14-415.17 as found on www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H650v6.pdf (note: I am not an attorney and can barely find my way around the maze) that I *think* covers this.
    I ask because one of my wife's friends found this bit of ancient history and started passing it around: http://markamerica.com/2012/07/24/wralraleigh-releases-n-c-conceal-carry-database/
    I remember WRAL getting raked over the coals by the community, but I was unable to find definitive proof that we closed that loophole in public disclosure.

5. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

yes, it was made nonpublic with HB562

drypowder, Chambered and trcubed like this.
  6. Chambered

Chambered Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

7. jerz_subbie

jerz_subbie Active Member

Thankfully it looks like the wral link is dead. Otherwise I was going to say it looks like an easy payday for someone in that area.

8. soreshoulder

they posted a "we had to take it down" message shortly after the bill was passed. We drove a few victory laps over Mark Binker about the same time, lol. Those were the days

Chambered, Friday and drypowder like this.
  9. FlatFender

FlatFender Not Here Anymore. Club Subscribed

The best part was that they posted all of our addresses, but they all got super butthurt when their addresses/Google streetview images of their homes got posted online.

"But it's public record" they said...lol

Friday, jerz_subbie and soreshoulder like this.
  10. soreshoulder

I think we're likely to have some more interesting fights ahead