Ruger Mark IV or S&W SV22?

Discussion in 'Rimfire pistol' started by gutdoc, Dec 20, 2016.

1. gutdoc

gutdoc Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I have decided that I need a reasonably priced .22LR target pistol. I have shot and enjoyed a Ruger 22-45, but never wanted to own one - complicated disassembly/re-assembly is not something I enjoy. Also, I have shot an older S&W Model 41, but they cost more than I want to spend. With the Mark IV and its supposed simpler maintenance, I am interested in acquiring the Ruger.

The proprietor of my favorite local range told me to try the S&W SV22; he says if I do so, I will like it better than the Ruger and save money as well.

Friday, I will go back and try his rentals of the SV22 and Mark III. Here are some questions:
    • What do those of you who have shot these pistols think of them?
    • How does the Mark III compare to the Mark IV in terms of accuracy, reliability and the fun-to-shoot factor.
    • Any others I should consider?
    Thanks for your input.

P.S. This assumes that someone has shot the Mark IV; I have just learned that they are hard to find as of yet.

2. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

I have shot my Dad's older Ruger a bunch of the years. Very nice gun, but at least I never had to clean it. I had a S&W Victory that was very nice. Better trigger than I expected, and easy to maintain. Only parted with it because I don't shoot 22lr that much, and when I do I prefer my old revolver. Fondle both and buy whichever one feels right in your hand. They will both shoot better than you and probably outlast you too.

gutdoc likes this.
  3. richard corn

richard corn Registered Member

Have MarkIII that I love in spite of its difficulty to disassemble..Also have Victory that I'm endeared to as well...Have not shot Mark IV but assume that accuracy and reliability are relevent to what Ruger has produced in past..Both are heavy pistols unlike the Ruger 22/45...Can"t say one is head and shoulders above the other although the Victory will cost about half as much..Seeing Victories in $325-$350 range while Mark III $500+ and Mark IV may topple $600. Sorry if thread seems wishy washy but if the sky opened and only two .22 pistols fell, whichever one you beat me to would be a good day for both of us

gutdoc likes this.
  4. Phantom

Phantom Member

I have owned and shot both competitively. I shoot the Smith better than the Ruger. I'm sure that has more to do with me than the firearms. My preference is the Smith for the easy takedown and great aftermarket support already available for a new pistol. My Smith has been extremely reliable, with minimal maintenance. Of course I could say the same thing about Ruger pistols.

It really comes down to personal preference. My wife adopted the Smith so I am now shooting a Browning Buckmark. Also an excellent pistol.

gutdoc likes this.