Ruger Old Army need info

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by AKD, Jan 10, 2017.

1. AKD

AKD Registered Member

REcently picked up a Ruger Old Army Stainless.

This is my first attempt at blackpowder.
    I've been reading some posts here, and seen some good info.

What I'm wondering is, what do I need to have to shoot it and to clean it.
    Specifically, what type of powder, accessories (measure/wads/balls/etc).
    A fella had mentioned Buckhorn, I believe and said it was the best to shoot in terms of non-corrosive, and I'd love to hear your opinions on that too.

Any good info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. shadowsbane

shadowsbane En Mermoriam. Vendor

You won't find real blackpowder easily. But the pyrodex stuff works rather well.

Blackpowder is dirty. Very dirty. They make cleaning chemicals built for it, that work well. Forget what they are called right this second though.

And corrosive isn't acid. It is salt that soaks up water moisture. Easiest way to get rid of it is wash out the parts with boiling water to dissolve the salt then clean as per the instructions.

3. jimintheburg

jimintheburg Registered Member

If you are not aware of this-chain firing-, I would suggest that you google this to become aware of this to prevent this from happening. I have an old army and use over sized wads on top of the ball to prevent a spark from igniting the powder in a cylinder not aligned with the barrel.

4. AKD

AKD Registered Member

Thanks for the tips.

What I'm really asking is, what products do YOU use and why. Caps, balls, powder, etc.

5. carolina sorillo

carolina sorillo Registered Member

I personally, have never owned nor fired an Old Army. However, I did shoot in the BP category in SASS for 5yrs, most of which was BP cartridge. I did shoot cap-n-ball a little too but I had Pietta 1851 Colt reproductions. I used Remington #11 caps with good results. I poured my own balls but Hornaday sells good balls if you don't wanna cast your own. Your Old Army requires a .457" ball. I also cut my own 1/8" felt wads but you can buy good wads from OxYoke or Circle Fly. I used a dry wad between the powder and ball. You can do that or if you think you need lube they also sell pre-lubed wads. I personally, don't like the idea of a lubed wad against the powder. It may never bother the powder but I don't like it.

Now for the powder. I don't mean to offend anybody but my experience with Pyrodex was terrible. The last bottle of it I had, I poured out in my yard, hoping it was at least a good fertilizer. Because it sure ain't worth a crap for a gun powder! It is by far the MOST aggressive and corrosive of the powders I used. I tried 777, Pyrodex and real BP. My experience was: Pyrodex sucks and will flash rust your gun in just a couple hours; 777 works good, gives higher velocity than the others, it's fouling is a little harder than the others but it cleans up good with just warm water; Goex BP by far the best that I used. It works as it should gives a good low tone booom, spits flaming cinders and that pleasing sulfuric aroma! It also cleans up with just warm tap water. I rinsed the gun out and off with warm water which evaporates quickly then wiped it down with a dry paper towel and followed that with another paper towel dampened with Ballistol. I shot 1 match a month and one time I forgot to clean my guns after being left uncleaned they still ran just fine the next month. When I cleaned them after that match there no signs of any rust anywhere. So, I decided to do a little experiment. I left them uncleaned to see how long it affected the function. The Vaquero's and Marlin finally started to bind a little half way through the 3rd match. So I gave them a little shot of Ballistol and they loosened up and gave no more problems the rest of the match. They also showed no signs of rust anywhere after cleaning.

The bad reputation BP has gotten is partly from the mercury that used to be in caps and partly from Pyrodex. The confusion people have in weigh and volume measurements of BP also comes from Pyrodex. A 30gr volume of real BP weighs really close to 30gr. However, a 30gr volume of Pyrodex doesn't. That's why you always here people say, "I shoot 30gr by volume of ___ powder" If you haven't noticed, I hate Pyrodex!

Good luck in your journey to the Darkside,
    C.S.

AKD likes this.
  6. AKD

AKD Registered Member

@ C.S.

That's great info and superbly helpful!

Thanks.

7. pikepole20

pikepole20 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have and shoot a stainless old army. I do not like black powder or pyrodex. 777 works good or some of the others. Half the fun is experimenting. They do take a .457 round ball and you can use conical bullets as well. There is a source on gunbroker that sells balls and conicals. Search on ruger old army and you will find it. Lucky 13 bullets on the forum might can fix you up too. I use hot water with the grips off to clean. Then lightly oil and brush the barrel. With 457 balls when they seat, if a little lead shaves off that is good. You have a tight fit and chain firing is virtually eliminated. Have fun
    They are a blast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AKD likes this.
  8. Weaponologist

Weaponologist Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

The Ruger Old Army has been on my list for awhile. even tho I don't own one I've worked on several of my friends and it's the Caddy of BP Revolvers in my opinion. If you travel to Statesville and need BP let me know in advance and I'll do my best to get you a pound of GoEX...

9. AKD

AKD Registered Member

Copy that. Right now I have some FFFG of 777.
    If I ever get a BP rifle, i'll be needing alot more though.