SC committee on Gun Issues, Hartsville, Oct 18

Discussion in 'SC Meet Ups, Events, and Gun Shows' started by Robin Fowler, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Robin Fowler

Robin Fowler Registered Member

2. FINO

FINO Registered Member

it is a long way to the sc border for me but i believe that what happens there may influence what happens in neighboring states. Your opinions on what is going on in your state I and perhaps others in the club hope you share with us.

3. Robin Fowler

Legislators absolutely look at other states to get a feel for what is "trending" public opinion.
    A few SC members expressed interest in attending Hartsville, I hope they have the time to do so and hopefully speak to the senate panel. We were way outnumbered in CHS; as reported in Post & Courier, only 7% of speakers were pro 2nd Amendment, or pro gun rights. We need to do better than that. Certainly there are members here that are retired or semi-retired that can get to Hartsville early enough to sign up to speak? I made the effort to switch shifts with a co-worker to do so....so can you!! Need help writing a script? I will help... @kcult? I think you expressed interest in attending? Can you?

It is an important enough issue for the anti-gunners to show up in force. What do you think the panel will conclude after these four hearings, when we are outnumbered so overwhelmingly?

Massachusetts made "minor" pen-stroke changes to their gun laws three years ago, which I wrote my state senator objecting to the proposed changes. The pen-stroke change gave the AG and director of Public Safety sole authority, with no committee hearing, no vote, to change, ban, or modify the AG's list of banned guns under the 1994 Federal AWB, which Massachusetts adopted as a state ban when the federal ban was lifted. Now, a rogue AG, Maura Healey, has banned essentially all semi-auto rifles in MA. The Massachusetts Gun Owners Action League has a huge uphill battle to try to reverse this ban. The republican governor, Charlie Baker, supported Healey's ban. Do you think a largely Democratic senate will work very hard to reverse this ban with public support for an assault style weapons ban? Not very likely. Can't happen here? Think again folks; the public is swallowing legislators' promise a ban on assault style weapons and limited capacity magazines will make them safer. Why they believe this, I do not know, but they do. The League of Women Voters were in CHS and spoke to the panel about banning hi-cap mags. Surely they will be in Hartsville along with the Brady Bunch, Survivors of Everywhere, and the "end the loophole" gang. Will we be represented?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    bigfutz, Beachdude and Don like this.
  4. FINO

FINO Registered Member

sad that so few show up for pro 2a.. I did not realize a southern state could be so uncaring about their rights. ty for the report robin

5. Robin Fowler

Ok, it is tomorrow....who can go? The senate panel has already heard from me!

6. kcult

kcult Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  7. Robin Fowler

Very encouraging, let's hope we dominate Columbia as well.

I am so tired of hearing "gun violence" in connection with legislation aimed at lawful gun ownership. WE don't hold-up people with our firearms, criminals do! And criminals carry firearms regardless of how many laws are passed for legal ownership. When are the anti-gunners understand this? So frustrating...
    If I have the day off, I'll go to Columbia....

8. georgel

georgel Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

How long do they give you to speak?

9. bigfutz

bigfutz Registered Member

kcult likes this.
  10. Robin Fowler

Two minutes....

11. J.Boyette

J.Boyette Teacher of the Craft Lifetime Member

It's not a lack of caring, it's that this is a right. How does someone challenge a right?

People do not believe they will loose rights like the 2nd A

12. georgel

13. georgel

Any after action report on the last meeting?