SC Reciprocity With Georgia Coming?

Discussion in 'SC Concealed Carry' started by Beachdude, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Beachdude

Beachdude Registered Member

2. zombienetwork

zombienetwork Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Georgia just introduced several new bills regarding gun control in their state. I saw the headline but have not had the chance to follow up...more to follow I am sure.

3. hagar

hagar Registered Member

Would save me $100 every 4 years maintaining a NH license..

4. Beachdude

Yeah, I was going to have to get that or a Utah for myself, and this would eliminate my need.

5. slosolo2

slosolo2 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Found this article about SC H.3799 with some enlightening info on SC law enforcement's anti gun bias.
    http://www.indexjournal.com/PrintPage/Legislation-for-concealed-weapons-goes-to-Senate

Tony Davis - Greenwood Co. said:
    "The South Carolina Sheriff's Association is one of the groups that is keeping an eye on concealed weapons permit legislation. "We have been against reciprocity," Greenwood County Sheriff Tony Davis said regarding the state group of sheriffs. "South Carolina does background checks on people and I don't think Georgia does. So, we have taken a stand on that that we are going against that."
    A quick google shows that GA law on permits specifies a criminal background check is required. O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129 section d 1 A "For weapons carry license applications, the judge of the probate court shall within five business days following the receipt of the application or request direct the law enforcement agency to request a fingerprint based criminal history records check from the Georgia Crime Information Center and Federal Bureau of Investigation for purposes of determining the suitability of the applicant and return an appropriate report to the judge of the probate court. Fingerprints shall be in such form and of such quality as prescribed by the Georgia Crime Information Center and under standards adopted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation may charge such fee as is necessary to cover the cost of the records search." They also require the same background checks at each renewal and a NICS check as well.

Greenwood Police Chief Gerald Brooks concurred with the association's stance against permit changes and said he was opposed to the way the bill was written. He said it was not in the best interest of residents' safety. Brooks said the legislation, if passed and signed by Gov. Nikki Haley, would prohibit convicted felons from having weapons. "Our concern would be the person who robs a liquor store with a weapon and he's arrested and he gets out on bond and he's not been convicted, so that means he can (still) legally walk around and carry a firearm," Brooks said. "That really gives us a concern. It's one of the things that has too many loopholes and not in the citizens' best interests." Brooks said a focus of concealed weapons permits has been training. "I think that has been a good workable solution and I continue to support that," he said. "I don't want it to revert to the wild West where everybody is packing."

Those were bad but this guy is the worst though:
    Ware Shoals Police Chief Harry Irick said he has a concealed weapons permit even though he carries a firearm as part of his position. "My biggest problem with guns and interstate transport is why are you bringing guns into South Carolina," he said. "We have plenty of them already. If you are going to carry a firearm, you don't need to carry it out of your home state." emphasis mine.

Fortunately my SC senator is Chauncey Gregory who is named on the bill for the senate and a judiciary committee member but I wrote him a quick note thanking him for his continued support anyway.

6. Beachdude

I spoke with my state representative today, and he told me that the bill has cleared the House, and is in the SC Senate. He took a look and said so far, everything looks good with the bill in the senate.

7. FINO

FINO Registered Member

sounds like some in S C think what they believe trumps what our constitution says and should not be re-elected, IS everyone planning to vote?

fishgutzy likes this.
  8. slosolo2

slosolo2 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I can't vote against any of those mentioned and my local sheriff is retiring so I will have to review the candidates but I always vote.

9. FINO

FINO Registered Member

ty, I have never voted ,I will be voting this year . hopefully my one vote will help to allow this country get back on track and the rule of law again apply to all citizens no matter being poor, middle class or better

slosolo2 and Beachdude like this.
  10. Beachdude

I can't vote against that particular sheriff, but I always vote and I do email my legislators regularly to let them know if I am pleased or disappointed in their stances. They are supposed to be working for us, not themselves.

slosolo2 likes this.
  11. Jack_Attack

Jack_Attack Registered Member

I have voted since I joined the military in 1975. It is worth mentioning that a majority of citizens don't typically vote, usually they are a silent majority of conservatives. What brings them out to vote is a terrible administration that erodes our personal freedoms and liberties. They tend to get fed up and vote to voice their opposition. Imagine 30 million first time or part time voters coming out to vote. It might be enough to counter all of the dead people that vote.;)
    I expect a rather large turnout come this November.

Beachdude likes this.
  12. Beachdude

I agree 100%.

13. Beachdude

Just FYI, the bill has advanced out of committee and is due for a Senate second reading today. Also, the bill has been amended to not only grant auto reciprocity to North Carolina and Georgia, but to also be required to accept all out-of-state permits provided the state requires a background check and provides a basic firearm training and safety course. Things look favorable for successful vote at this point.
    While this is not as good as granting Constitutional Carry and acceptance of ALL states reciprocity, it is a step in the right direction. All SC residents should voice their agreement to the bill. to their own state representatives and senators to support the bill with a positive vote.

14. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

I use Utah. And no kidding.

I support this legislation. Maybe one day we will get constitutional carry, but until then, keep up the momentum.

15. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

Wrote my reps (senate and congress) and the Guvnah

16. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

These people are either deliberately obtuse or totally ignorant in matters they SHOULD know the real answers to simply because it's directly related to their jobs.

Either way, they ought to go.

17. SCshooter57

SCshooter57 Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

18. Beachdude

FYI, just an update from my state senator. Bill 3799 as discussed above, has been postponed once again. Last Wed. the senate ran out of time. Thursday, some key Pro-Gun supporters were absent so the issue was postponed again. The senate is working on the budget this week, which means H3799 will not be voted on until next week at the earliest. There is only about a month left in this session, so if the bill does not come to vote before session is ended, then the wait could be even longer.
    This bill has been in the legislative process since April of 2015, so these delays are extremely frustrating!

19. dynamike

dynamike Registered Member

Typical!

20. treedodger

treedodger Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Finally...... after pulling all proposed amendments out, H. 3799 passed by a vote of 35-3. Bill now heads to Gov Haley.

A single anti-gun Senator Kimpson held the floor to filibuster until after midnight on Tuesday trying to kill this Bill. Today was the last opportunity before the session ended.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  21. Beachdude

I hate they had to drop so many good amendments due to the idiot Kimpson, but at least the Georgia reciprocity made it through. I've been waiting on that for a long time.

jjwestbrook likes this.
  22. jb2sea

jb2sea Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

What about SC and Virginia?

23. RetiredUSNChief

24. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

25. RetiredUSNChief

Haley also signed a hotly debated law that allows Georgia residents with concealed weapons permits to legally carry their guns in South Carolina.

Georgia did not recognize South Carolina’s permits, but that state’s law is written in a way that allows for automatic recognition of any state that recognize Georgia’s permits. So South Carolinians with permits are now able to carry their guns into Georgia.

About time. It'll be nice not to be boxed in whenever I head South to Georgia or Florida.

26. mekender

mekender Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

Ayup... I was breaking the law last month when I drove to FL... I wont be this next week when I do it again.

RetiredUSNChief likes this.
  27. RetiredUSNChief

Breaking the law, breaking the law

28. FINO

FINO Registered Member

shall not be infringed is the law I recognize.

29. uga_dawg

uga_dawg Registered Member

About time.

It was watered down but at least they got the reciprocity pushed through.

30. The Ref

The Ref Registered Member

So, what are the thoughts on renewals for Utah or New Hampshire non-res permits going forward? Is anyone thinking that there may be benefit renewing in hopes that reciprocity expands for your non-res permit to close some of the remaining gaps? Yes, it will largely be driven by personal travel needs/frequency and the willingness to pay for the cost of the renewal. Just curious what others are thinking.