School me on competition grips for 1911...

Discussion in 'Carolinas 1911 Forum' started by fieldgrade, Nov 24, 2016.

1. NoKimberDave

NoKimberDave Off to Greener Pastures Club Subscribed

Sweet gun, btw!

fieldgrade likes this.
  2. fieldgrade

fieldgrade is gone Lifetime Member

Like you say, we have to find what works. The mag well/mainspring housing I ordered is with a ribbed back instead of checkering since the checkered housing on the current mainspring housing digs into the cup of my hand like a bed of nails when I reload.

NoKimberDave likes this.
  3. Bunsen

Bunsen Registered Member

fieldgrade likes this.
  4. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor Vendor

McLeansville, NC by way of WV SASS #29170L
    I believe mine is a Techwell. Colt NM 005.jpg

fieldgrade likes this.
  5. fieldgrade

This is what I have on order, except in stainless steel. I don't how good they are, but this guy says he invented them. Alan Smith. He was a lot of help over the phone. Usd to provide them to Colt's custom shop. They are also sold through Brownells and others.

Smith and Alexander Mag Guide with one piece ribbed mainspring housing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  6. Bunsen

Bunsen Registered Member

Conceptually they are the same thing, except the Techwell magwell and grips are integrated together and require no gunsmithing other than pulling off the original grips the reinstalling the new grips. That part may need to be fitted to your pistol and will require replacing your existing main spring housing.

Six of one half-dozen of another ya know. ;)

7. fieldgrade

Well, according to the guy who has made them forever and yakked with me for 45 minutes on the phone in TX, he says it is drop-in, and that is a new mainspring housing in that picture. The mag well and the mainspring housing are one piece.

Of course, my plans usually don't go like they are supposed to, and I am not skeered to pull out the files, or send it back. :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  8. TSheaffer

TSheaffer Not a sellout. Club Subscribed

Tagged for interest. I have been wanting grips with cutouts as well. Some good info on them in this thread. My main problem is having smaller hands to where I have to slightly adjust my grip to hit the mag release.

9. Bunsen

Bunsen Registered Member

I have short fingers and have the same issue. My Sig's and M&P's have the mag release swapped to the right side so I can activate it with my trigger finger. It's possible to do that with a 1911, just expensive. I added one of these in about 15 minutes:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/452281/ed-brown-magazine-release-with-oversize-button-1911

10. TSheaffer

TSheaffer Not a sellout. Club Subscribed

I have thought about giving that a try. I got a Beretta Neos recently and the mag release you use your trigger finger. It makes me realize how much I like it. Sorry for the tangent @fieldgrade.

11. fieldgrade

No no. By all means. I got my answers up thread and have all my stuff ordered. Fire away.

Bunsen and TSheaffer like this.
  12. fieldgrade

Okee Dokee! The one piece mag well and mainspring housing is installed. Would have been easier if someone had told me the sear spring will come off easily enough but it WILL. NOT. GO. BACK. ON. without taking the grip safety off first. ;)
    What would I do without youtube.

Pics up tomorrow when the grip panels come in.

13. Bunsen

Bunsen Registered Member

...and that is exactly why I went with the Techwell option. I did NOT want to mess with the mainspring housing or the springs underneath it. :D

14. fieldgrade

I wanted to change the mainspring housing from the factory aggressive checkering to the ribbed, and it fit perfect, so it worked out fine. Here's some pics:

Factory stock beveled mag-well, with new part on the right:

DSCN0068.JPG
    DSCN0070.JPG

And installed...
    You gotta love these guys. They sent a copy of the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution with the parts.

I'll post pics when I get the thumb notched cocobola double diamond grips installed tomorrow.

DSCN0079.JPG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016