Sig P220 9MM

Discussion in 'Handguns, Pistol Shooting' started by got2hav1, Jan 5, 2017.

1. got2hav1

got2hav1 Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I have been keeping watch for one of these to turn up and recently saw this one on GB. It appears to be in good shape given its age. The rails are surprisingly good. Best I can tell it's a 1977 model or there abouts. I love the look of the slide and the single stack 9mm grip feels perfect for my hand. Reminds me of the P225 grip dimensions, one of my all time favorite Sigs. The bonus with this one was (5) 9mm heel release magazines. I can't wait to see how it shoots, unfortunately we are under winter storm warnings for this weekend, so I'll just look at it for another week. Enjoy the photos fellows

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Shorty 45 MK2 likes this.
  2. SigP229R

SigP229R Registered Member

Looks great only thing is, I do not like the heel Mag. release. However I could make do with it if one came my way. Let us know how it shoots.

3. wemoodydc

wemoodydc Registered Member

Wow, I've never seen one of these in person but I have always wanted to. I always wished there had been one with an American mag release, pre-rail generation.

got2hav1 likes this.
  4. WhiskeyBravo27

WhiskeyBravo27 Registered Member

I just recently got back into sigs pretty heavy and this was unneeded encouragement to buy more... the classic sigs look the best!

5. got2hav1

There are some P220 9mm with no rail and traditional mag release. They turn up on the auction site occasionally. The heel release models were the first P220s made and they were 9mm service weapons. The US market took off with the P220 .45 cals.

6. got2hav1

The single stack 9mm grip, with the P220 make a great combination.

7. Walt Sherrill

Walt Sherrill Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Browning had a version -- the original BDA -- made by SIG but carrying the Browning rollmark. It was was available in 9mm, .38 super, or .45 ACP.

8. got2hav1

Yes, I've seen those also.

9. circuitspore

circuitspore Registered Member

Nice score! I lusted after these for a while and finally acquired a super clean 1982 model (extra bonus for being my birth year). I can't remember if it was heel or grip mag release. While I did like it, I didn't fall in love with it like I thought I would. (That has happened more times that I'd like to remember with both guitars and guns!) I honestly think it was because I've gotten used to a chunkier grip on my pistols thanks to the P226/8/9/etc. A while back I decided I wasn't a collector and that anything I had in the safe had to be something I loved shooting (and something I didn't mind wearing out), so I sold it to a fellow Sig fanatic. Hope you enjoy shooting it!

wemoodydc likes this.
  10. got2hav1

Circuit, I can't count the times I've done the same thing. Sometimes I even bought them back. LOL. It does shoot great though. I had no problem with it at all. The front sight is small and unreplaceable but you can manage in good light. It's a fun gun and just what I wanted. Love the single stack grip size.

11. Walt Sherrill

Walt Sherrill Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Folks with older Berettas and Witnesses, which also have the front sight built into the slide, sometimes have a gunsmith cut a dovetail into the slide, and install a compatible front sight there. I suspect (but am not sure) this can be done with your SIG as well, with a dovetail cut to SIG specs.

While doing so would make the gun less factory-correct, a "shooter" gun isn't likely to a collectible gun in our lifetimes, and a different front sight can make it a more practical weapon. This modification might even enhance resale value, if you ever consider selling -- maybe recovering the cost of the GS work and sight. :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  12. wemoodydc

wemoodydc Registered Member

That's funny that a 1977 model P220 would have a non-replaceable front sight, while all the P6s from the 70s had dovetailed front sights.

13. got2hav1

That slide is unique to the early P220s. Definitely not dove tailed though.