SkinnyMedic Trauma Class AAR

Discussion in 'Training Reviews/ AARs' started by raider502, Jan 30, 2017.

1. raider502

raider502 Registered Member

This is a review of the first SkinnyMedic Trauma Class that was taught on January 28, 2017 at Wheaton Arms in Piedmont, SC. For those who do not know who SkinnyMedic is his real name is Dietrich Easter and he has an extensive background in the emergency medical service as a paramedic and is an instructor in a wide variety of topics for the EMS field. Dietrich operates a business called Medical Gear Outfitters that sells first aid and trauma supplies. He also has a Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube account where he shares his own videos and other information that can be very helpful to those who are trying to increase their preparedness to deal with medical emergencies.

On December 5th, SkinnyMedic announced that he would be having a trauma class in January and February and having watched many of his videos on YouTube and following him on Facebook I jumped at the opportunity to sign up for the class. I was in need of an actual trauma class so that I would be better prepared to deal with traumas that I might, hopefully not, encounter. The other selling point was that the price was right with the course cost being $100.00. So then the agonizing wait for January 28th began.

The day finally came and I arrived at the Wheaton Arms store in Piedmont, SC at 0900 for the class. There was about 14 people in the class (15 if you count my 9-year-old son who travelled with Dad). There were people from NC, SC, VA, TN, and I believe GA and OH. The attendees came from all levels of knowledge from extensive to minimal. There was also another YouTube Celebrity that was hanging out with us by the name of Don who has two YouTube accounts Sootch00 and Sensible Prepper, both of these accounts are good to watch.

The class was scheduled from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm an you get a lot of information during this time period and the opportunity to go hands on with the skills you are being taught. Dietrich started off by sharing that everything he would teach us would be covered by the South Carolina Good Samaritan’s Law and that we would need to check with our home states to make sure we would be covered. During the course we covered the need to have Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as nitrile gloves, eye protection, and also the importance of having light source that would allow you to work hands-free. The next portion of the class was on vital signs (pulse, blood pressure, and respiratory rates) and how to conduct a patient assessment using DCAP-BTLS and MARCH. He went on to cover additional topics such as triage, care under fire, tourniquets (RATS, SWAT-T, SOF-T, CAT, and improvised), wound packing (Celox, Combat Gauze, regular gauze, celox applicators), pressure dressings (Israeli, NAR Emergency Trauma Dressings), chest seals (vented, unvented, improvised), nasopharyngeal airways (NPA’s) and a high level review of CPR. There was a lot of material that was covered but it was taught in a manner that even my 9-year-old son could understand and utilize the skills. The class finished around 6:00 pm with a review of the participant’s trauma kits and identifying areas for them to improve.

I highly recommend this class for a couple of reasons. First the instructor is very knowledgeable and is approachable. Second, the cost is not bad at $100.00. Third, the class was not presented as a crash course replacement for seeking medical attention or that you were now as proficient as an EMT or Paramedic. It was presented that you never know when you will be the first responder and you might be the only intervention keeping the victim in the land of the living until the professionals arrive 9my words not Dietrich’s). This course was definitely money well spent.

2. raider502

Ok, I'm not sure why the first paragraph seems to be posting twice. Please overlook this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Yroc99

Yroc99 Registered Member

Thank you for the write up.
    Do you know the date and location of the February class?

4. raider502

Check his website and Facebook page, it will have the most up to date information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

thanks for the write up!