Starting my venture into back tension

Discussion in 'Archery' started by chiefjason, Oct 15, 2016.

1. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

I shoot my index with some back tension already. But finally broke down and bought a legit BT release. Tru Ball Gold Ultra 4 finger. Got it used on Archery Talk. Got it today and went out when I got home from hunting to mess with it. Need to set it a bit heavier. But I think I'm going to like it. Now to re configure my anchor and work on my release execution. Let the fun begin.

2. Tailhunter

Tailhunter God Help Us Club Subscribed

Good luck with that. :cool:

3. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

Playing around today. Happy with the click and release tension right now. Still have not punched myself in the face yet. My first and second knuckle around the jaw bone is a nice anchor. Peep is a touch high but I'm only shooting at 5 yards. Shooting bare bow, rest only. Not going to bother with sights for a while. One less thing to think about. It's only 5 yards but this was pretty normal just centering the target in the peep. I'll take it for now.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

Not perfect, but fun working it out.

40 yards today. Bumped the sight right before this, turned it a couple clicks back after this.

[​IMG]

ArbowAxle likes this.
  5. GSRswapandslow

GSRswapandslow Member

i had one....scared the hell out of me, but i shot good.

6. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

No face punches yet. Can't say the same for my wife. She tagged herself the other day with another one I bought. Mine has a clicker, so unless you torque it off the d loop it can't release until it clicks. It was a bit unnerving at first but I'm getting the hang of it.

7. GSRswapandslow

GSRswapandslow Member

i was lucky i was shooting a target bow...my draw weight was only like 40lbs (i had a white Hoyt Vantage Elite)...but i have a buddy that HUNTS with one...

8. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

While I certainly would not hunt with one at this point, but I did well at a local fun 3d shoot today. Known distance 20 targets and shot a 200. 2 12's and 2 8's, the rest 10's. Had one fire a bit earlier than I expected but still got a 10 since I was holding well. Happy not too loose any arrows. Even though Lauren took 2 of my knocks off. She shot a 169 and it's the first time she has had to shoot out to 40 yards. Had several shots over 35 yards for her. Normally her max is 25 yards.

9. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor Vendor

McLeansville, NC by way of WV SASS #29170L
    I would recommend to adjust so that you just get into the back wall. Holding a TR in the valley is a little daunting unless it is wide.

Why do they have a thumb bar on the release?

10. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

I've shortened the valley a lot. Elite's are know for their large valley. It's great for beginner or hunter. But experienced or target shooters not so much. But you can adjust them with the draw stops. I did have the stops set to the biggest valley possible. Now they are on the next to last setting, so it is much smaller and forces me to pull into the wall immediately.

I'm looking to shorten the DL a touch, maybe 1/2". It's a touch long. I've done everything I can except for changing mods or twisting cables.

The thumb bar is a safety for the draw. It keeps you from rotating the release which will not let the sear release. Once you are at full draw you relax the thumb so the release can rotate and fire. It's not something that is necessary, some have them and some don't. Kind of like the clicker.

Cycle is grab the thumb bar and draw with the thumb, index, and middle finger. At draw pull back with the ring finger until the clicker clicks. Then release the thumb and start the firing cycle.

11. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor Vendor

".....until the clicker clicks."

Interesting to have an indicator that tells you when. On a TR. 'Course a TR shooter gets to anticipating the release anyway. That's why I used the wall. Instantly increased poundage and would set it off with little tension.

12. ArbowAxle

ArbowAxle Registered Member

That was a good group at 40 yards.

chiefjason likes this.
  13. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

A lot of guys move away from the clicker as they get better. Reduces a step. I'm sure I will too. But as a new guy it's kind of nice. I had it fire once yesterday because I didn't hear or feel the clicker go off. But since I was holding on the vitals I picked up a 10 anyway. Just not sure I'm ready to have it hot from the start just yet. Still figuring it out.

14. MikeDawg46L

MikeDawg46L Well-Known Member

Welcome to the dark side.

Even if you don't hunt with it, it will help your shooting immensely if you're willing to stick with it. And it will all carry over into shooting with any other release.

I hunt with mine. No big deal.

15. chiefjason

chiefjason Vendor Vendor

At this point I've converted Lauren over too, which was half the reason I'm doing this. Probably need another release though. The Scott Bighorn is kind of annoying to lock onto the loop.

Started a new excercise the other day. Basically shooting one arrow at a time trying to punch one hole in the target. Shot 15 arrows from 10 yards at a 3x5 index card. 2 missed to the right where the arrows are, but were very close. A couple of other fliers but still on the card. And the rest were in that big hole in the card. Kind of a fun exercise.

[​IMG]

16. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor Vendor

I used a training slingshot. Strong rubber and long enough to get normal anchor. I was taught using a 2 finger Stan. Funny that it is really easy to pull 60#s with two fingers. I have a 3 finger and 4 finger here somewhere. I came to a full draw and anchored. Never pull with the ring finger because mine was set for the Stan to be a breath away from going off. Yep, fat lip Frenchie. Once the subconscious has got the hang of it, the other subconscious starts the rhomboids. The conscious mind is slowly settling the red dot 4X scope on the 10 ring at 12:00. Remember the follow thru. The 3' extension helped a lot.

17. shrektacular

shrektacular Registered Member

How is the shooting going Chief? Still using that back tension release?