Stumbled into a domestic situation this morning.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry | National 2A Laws' started by rantingredneck, Nov 24, 2016.

1. 11B CIB

11B CIB Taking a break, eh Club Subscribed

She may have said he was unarmed but the guy who was shot in Charlotte also had a female telling the cops he was unarmed. Ignore what people say; they can lie. The facts tell the truth

Glad everything worked out as well as it did

2. rantingredneck

rantingredneck Disposable apparently Lifetime Member

Yup.

He was wearing a pair of workout pants with a matching jacket. That sort of jacket would have sagged if he had anything too heavy in it.

But a .22 derringer can still kill ya.....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Oneofsix and 11B CIB like this.
  3. Brangus

Brangus Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Good to hear that you and your son are ok along with you being able to protect the lady during a tense situation. It's honorable men like you that I try and cultivate friendships with in life as good traits rub off on us in most cases.

Your account of this situation reminded of several situations I experienced with my dad over the years. He was a very calm and reserved man until he found a lady in distress or someone being bullied/threatened.

Our world is much better with men like you in it and the training we've taken always pay dividends.

And now let me acknowledge three more men............Thank you John, Scott, and Bob for taking the time to provide life saving training for a friend of mine. He's posting tonight and home with his family due to your efforts.

4. ikarus1

ikarus1 Well-Known Member

Did you ever go hunting? I hate when some bullshit interferes with my already short time to convene with nature

That out of the way, good job being a sheepdog. It sure wouldve been easy to just drive away

5. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

Good deal Tom. Glad everything worked out the way it did.

6. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

Some things that really stood out to me...

Keeping your son out of harms way...and where you'd KNOW him to be if things started going South. Good move.

Physically distancing yourself. Too many people forget that distance equals buffer in reaction times and gives you more options NOT to have to resort to violence, deadly or otherwise.

Using every resource you could think of NOT to escallate events.

Johnny on the spot with 911...and keeping them on the phone while you physically and verbally managed the situation.

There are a whole lot of ways that this could have gone wrong...and yet, with literally no warning, you managed to navigate a safe passage for everybody involved.

Give you and your son a chance to come to grips over what happened, and then use this as a learning experience to teach your son how to properly critique what happened. No matter how well (or badly) such encounters go, there are ALWAYS things to learn and improvements to make. This is a great practical experience that few get to have, given how it turned out.

And in the years and decades to come, your son will remember this...how you responded and how he learned to better himself because of what he learned from you.

THAT'S what I call a win!

7. Brangus

Brangus Lifetime Member Lifetime Member Club Subscribed

Excellent post sir and chock full of good points for all of us to learn from. The thing that stood out to me and still concerns me is that guy was continuing to put his hand in his pocket while acting very erratically. RR's description of this was as follows: "He was bouncing and pacing around like a caged animal and kept putting his hand in his jacket pocket."

That very type of behavior and actions during incidents like this is exactly why perps wind up with bullets in them. While a hand in a pocket is not a crime, it could easily become a fatal mistake depending on how any number of people would interpret the motives. A deadly weapon could very easily have been produced from that pocket this morning.

People are very much on edge these days and everyone needs to stay alert and practice situational awareness at all times.

fieldgrade likes this.
  8. J.Boyette

J.Boyette Teacher of the Craft Lifetime Member

With the "bouncing around" is a basic body language of sizing up his chances to win and dominate or not.

Tom was right to take on a comand voice, this action from Tom forces the reaction to move or back up.

John

9. JimB

JimB Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Well done, glad it ended well and sorry that you didn't get to the woods. One thing you didn't mention, when you got to McDonalds, how did you park? Were you blocked in?

rantingredneck likes this.
  10. rantingredneck

I had escape room. I probably could have planned it better with the way I parked for that but at the time I was more interested in getting the vehicles stopped and out of the equation.

There was 1/2 to 3/4 car length between his bumper and mine and had he tried to press that issue I could have easily pushed that Camry out of the way with my truck.

Good point that should be considered in these situations.

Oneofsix and Threshold like this.
  11. J.Boyette

Guys,

Do not over analyze this to death. Tom you won, you did it correctly and saved a woman from more beatings or death. Great job and please do not over think it.

It's like a football game, every move, every pass, every tackle could be better. Done faster, you can overshadow a win by Monday quarterbacking.

Again, great job, enjoy the win for the good guys!

12. Cowboysfan

Cowboysfan Well-Known Member

I can tell you about one of my domestic situations. I was at work at the jail and this woman and her girlfriend came into the lobby crying. I find out what's going on and all of a sudden this bigger shirtless red neck guy burst through the door yelling and screaming at the one. Got ready to hit her I said Bobby, I knew who he was, get the f out now before I get the guys in the back. He looked up then he ran out the door. So I call 911 and they say,"Was he the shirtless guy with the gun running around the courthouse?" i said not that I know of I didn't see a gun? Then they gave me the description of their shirtless guy and they were different races. Kind of crazy two shirtless guys both around the courthouse at the same time.

fishgutzy likes this.
  13. fishgutzy

fishgutzy Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

"Coincidence is God's way of working anonymously. "
    Think about the one thing you did that delayed your departure the precise amount of time necessary to put you there at that moment when a stranger needed your help.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

trcubed and fieldgrade like this.
  14. turkeydance

turkeydance Active Member

fish +1, that's what i was thinking.
    milliseconds from passing on through,
    instead of confrontation in the middle of the road.
    it's not only a game of inches but of moments.

fishgutzy likes this.
  15. Red Cent

Red Cent Vendor Vendor

McLeansville, NC by way of WV SASS #29170L
    Outstanding.
    I only hope I would/will be able to re-act the way you did in a possible life threatening situation.
    How was coming off the adrenalin high?

16. BigWaylon

BigWaylon Stamp Collector

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  17. Chdamn

Chdamn Staff VP of Shenanigans Lifetime Member Vendor Club Subscribed

fishgutzy likes this.
  18. rantingredneck

I was surprised that I didn't experience a big adrenaline dump. I've had that happen before in prior physical/verbal altercations but not this time.

19. rantingredneck

Yes it does.

20. J.Boyette

It's called conditioning to the situation.

John

rantingredneck and fishgutzy like this.
  21. Krabba

Krabba Registered Member

22. J.Boyette

rantingredneck likes this.