Visiting South Carolina and I want to obey the carry laws.

Discussion in 'SC Concealed Carry' started by cmsmith712001, May 9, 2015.

1. cmsmith712001

cmsmith712001 Registered Member

I will soon be in South Carolina to enjoy our annual family vacation and I want to be sure I comply with all carry laws in SC. Specifically, how does law enforcement view the issue of a "concealed" firearm printing? As long as the firearm is covered by my shirt is it considered concealed in SC?

2. Fathead

Fathead Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

handgunlaw.us is a great resource. Pretty sure they don't care about printing there.

3. Geezer

Geezer Lifetime Member Lifetime Member

I've never heard of anyone being called out on printing. Concealed means concealed, an untucked shirt over the gun is good. If you're coming to Myrtle Beach be very aware of your surroundings. Crime has been rising rapidly around here.

jjwestbrook likes this.
  4. cmsmith712001

cmsmith712001 Registered Member

We will be mainly on Seabrook Island and in Charleston. Thanks for the feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

5. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

As the police detective that gave the firearms class I went to said: "South Carolina is not an Open Carry state. Concealed means concealed."

He went on to say that though there isn't any specific law which deals with the subject of "printing", it is conceivable that an officer MAY arrest someone for not carrying concealed if the printing is that obvious.

That said, I have never heard of a case where that happened.

Carry concealed (legally) with due care and you should be all right.

And read up here for general laws and links:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

EDIT:

And by the way, welcome to SC and enjoy your time!

6. phideux

phideux Active Member

There are different degrees of printing. If you are carrying IWB in a Tee shirt and you reach for something in Wal-Mart, and you print, no problem, you stoop to tie your kids shoe and you print, no problem. You go around rocking a full size Glock on your side, wearing an Under Armour shirt stretched over it, I have seen it, that's a little different. Concealed is concealed.

7. Silver_Bullet

Silver_Bullet Staff

Let's not over complicate this. To be charged with brandishing a weapon in SC, intent is the factor. If the wind blows up your shirt or you are accidentally printing, no foul. If you raise your garment to show your weapon to someone, that's brandishing.

Intend to conceal it, your good to go.

8. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

Intent goes a long way. Biggest potential problem might be a "he said-she said" scenario.

Though the detective that taught my course said you CAN be charged even if it's accidental. Depends on circumstances and the officer, I guess.

I don't worry about it. It should be obvious by my dress that I don't intend to show. Never been an issue with me.