WTF. Forsyth demands what?

Discussion in 'NC Concealed Carry' started by fishgutzy, Oct 27, 2016.

1. fishgutzy

fishgutzy Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I'm filling out stuff for my son's CCH application.
    Forsyth demands to know every address my son has live at back to the year of his birth (20 year look back). WTF!
    Guilford county looked back 5 years.
    Luckily my son has me to fill it out because he doesn't remember every address he lived at.
    And they keep their application so low that he can't get an appointment until December.

2. Noway2

Noway2 Well-Known Member

I recently renewed for Guilford county. It said to list all previous addresses along with the date range. I honestly can't recall all of them, at least entirely or accurately. It was apparently a non issue as the permit was renewed, but it strikes me as one of those things they could use as a "gotcha" to deny a permit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fishgutzy likes this.
  3. Windini

Windini Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Could be a "gotcha" trap. But it occurs to me that The Checkers may need more info on people who grew up in the Military or whose family moved a lot when they were kids; if you tell them every place you lived and when you lived there, they can check every one of those places, learn lots more about you, and possibly locate a reason for denial.

I hope they don't find out about me cutting school in Okinawa when I was 10!! Escaping custody of a Federal Institution is surely a reason to deny my application today.

pfcustom likes this.
  4. SPST

SPST Well-Known Member

Shouldn't a 21 yo be able to fill out his own application?

Drew, lufbro, WNC Seabee and 5 others like this.
  5. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

If I had moved around a lot when I was growing up, I think I'd have a few entries like "Don't know, I was three years old. Don't know, I was 2 years old. Don't know, I was in diapers."

fishgutzy and Windini like this.
  6. fishgutzy

I was being kind since it is an editable PDF file. :D

7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade is gone Lifetime Member

I'm a control freak at my house. I do way more than I should for all of them, including the wife, but since I'm the one they hollar for when it gets screwed up, I figure I'll do it right the first time till I die, and then they are all on their own.

ScottR, lufbro, MuzzerFuzzer and 3 others like this.
  8. fishgutzy

Besides. I'm the one that knows every address he has lived at since birth. :D

fieldgrade likes this.
  9. cloud

cloud Not Subscribed

Davidson county wanted 20 years. I had moved so many times .I paid to have a google history search done on me so
    I could get my old addresses.

fishgutzy likes this.
  10. soreshoulder

soreshoulder Staff Member Staff Member

they actually took "don't remember, I was overseas" on mine, so its not a big deal

Cowboysfan likes this.
  11. Cowboysfan

Cowboysfan Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

I think it has more to do with individual counties not being linked to a statewide system till the last few years. Now they have a consolidated data base that will show charges state wide called CJleads. Unfortunately it took loosing Eve Carson to make it happen.

12. JimB

JimB Club Subscribed Club Subscribed

Same in Union County, it has slowed me down. Had my folks run a background check on me, that'll have them all, or at least all that the sheriff might find.

13. Gear Head

Gear Head Registered Member

Just did mine in forsyth a few weeks ago. The deputy there told me it was not a big deal if I couldn't remember specifics. A couple entries I just put the street name and city. While I was in college and living in different apartments he told me to just write the name of the school and the dates I attended.

fishgutzy likes this.
  14. o2l

o2l Not Subscribed

Sheriffs will defend this practice by saying it will help them separate the applicant from offenders with a computer hit on a similar name, social security number, etc. However, State law severely restricts Sheriffs from a fishing expedition by enumerating the information, and only the information, they may request of an applicant. Once they receive a response from mental health authorities, they have 45 days to complete their background investigation even if a response from mental health facilities take months. Sheriffs, who hold to the notion that only the Police and the Military should have guns, can further delay the issuance of a CHP by scheduling your day to turn in your application for months after receive your class completion certificate. Mecklenberg County immediately comes to mind.

That brings us to the Jim Crow era Sheriff's Permit to Purchase. There are no restrictions on Sheriffs under the law in this regard. The law only states that the Sheriff conduct a background check to determine if the applicant for a purchase permit is of "good moral character".

fishgutzy likes this.
  15. fishgutzy

Of course it is just an excuse. I know a guy who applied for a PPP in Guilford but was denied because someone with the same name had a charge 30 years ago in Texas even though he had never been to Texas. He was only in Greensboro for a year and moved back to AZ.

16. bigfutz

bigfutz Registered Member

Funny how they rely on you filling out info to do a background search. Just goes to show. I'll bet that information goes to help them improve "intel" at the DHS super secret Big Brother database.

Funny story: I did one of those online credit checks one time. To "prove" my identity, they asked me to provide a bunch of previous addresses, all of which I was able to find online (vehicle tax records, etc.) So all I proved is I was able to regurgitate some info I found in public records. Very reassuring.

17. Threshold

Threshold Hall of Shame

How old was he? I'd laugh my ass off if he was 30 at the time of application... "yup, armed robbery at 6 weeks old - even my diapers said Bad Mother F*cker on them".

Zbizzle911 likes this.
  18. fishgutzy

70 years old.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

19. MacEntyre

MacEntyre Vendor Vendor

You probably clean their guns for them, too... :D

fieldgrade likes this.
  20. JamesLFlowers

JamesLFlowers Well-Known Member

When I had to do the same for my Federal Security Clearance, I just listed my Permanent Address, not the various apartments I had actually lived in as I took work assignments around the country and world. Guess it was enough since I have just underwent my second clearance renewal.

fishgutzy likes this.
  21. Goofyfoot2001

Goofyfoot2001 Active Member

So here's the deal, do you not see that North Carolina is just about done? You have so many yankees invading that it wont be long. North carolina is almost lost.

fishgutzy likes this.
  22. fishgutzy

Substitute Liberals for Humans in this and it is the perfect analogy.

23. RetiredUSNChief

RetiredUSNChief Well-Known Member

Coming soon to a city near you...OBAMA!

He's a man on a mission...a mission to turn the state blue!

24. ScottR

ScottR Registered Member

So I just did my paperwork and got mine. This is for Cumberland but they asked for all the way back as well. I only did until 18 and left the times I was out of the country as well I did not live here. What they said was that if something happened at a location they wanted to know if it was you or someone else.

25. ConcreteJungle

ConcreteJungle Registered Member

I noticed that as well since I recently made my CCW appointment with Forsyth and was filling out the paperwork and had to go through this as well...20 years!!!! holy moly!
    Thankfully google maps street view lets you see the numbers on the houses/buildings. I had to use it for my 2 oldest addresses.