Carolina Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Molon Labe
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Actually 04AUG12

Another great match this Saturday. I had a great time and the time and attention the RO's give to each competitor is awesome. The owner, Frankie, takes the time to chat and talk about virtually anything.

As always the shoot house was lots of fun. This time thou I was dead meat! I could not get my act together and paid for it in procedural errors. If your competitive like I am, you really have to find a way to practice the basics to get a decent score. You don't have to be an "operator", you just have to be aware! Focus and situational awareness are what gets you a good score. Speed alone won't do it. Accuracy alone won't do it. Knowing how to pie a corner, minimize your exposure to the "enemy" and react correctly is very important in these matches. You WILL do what you've trained to do in an intense situation. Whether it is the right or wrong thing to do.

I watched one person have a rifle malfunction. The first thing he did was try to clear the malfunction. The "enemy" was about 10-15 yards away. In this situation one needs to tradition from your primary to your secondary weapon. Frankie was watching and yelled out "Transition, Transition!". The competitor then transitioned to his sidearm. By watching this I learned that even the most seasoned shooter can make a mistake under pressure! Train, train, train is the word of the day. Getting comfortable with your primary and secondary firearms, learning from others mistakes and TRAINING are what will makes you a better tactical shooter.

The long stage as I call it, was very exciting. Starting out seated in a SUV, you had to come out, take cover and engage the targets. After engaging the first set of targets you had to simulate a leg wound and apply a dressing and a tourniquet. The competitor then ran to a ladder, climbed it and went prone on top of a conex. Ever try to climb a ladder with a LOADED rifle, watch your muzzle and assess your situation all at the same time?!?! Damn, TV and Youtube makes it look so easy! As I laid prone on top of the conex Murphy paid me a visit. For some unknown reason I lost the reticule of my red dot sight. I do not currently have backup sights on my rifle and paid the price of missing the targets! How embarrassing! As usual Murphy only hung around while I was on top of the conex. The rest of the stage when pretty good.

One other thing to note was while I was talking with Frankie, he stated that the stages are meant to be practiced. In other words, after I shoot the stage I can practice it when other competitors are not using it. Very good to know. I very much look forward to the next match and I plan on at least dry firing when I have the time. Thanks Range 37 and Frankie for the opportunity to have fun and learn how to be a better prepared American. INFIDEL's rule!

·
Premium Member
20,755 Posts
I hate that I missed it this month, they really do put on a great shoot and Frankie is great. The stages sounded awesome! But I seriously doubt anyone has ever beaten my record of procedurals...apparently I learned my tactics from watching Robocop too many times!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Actually 04AUG12

Frankie was watching and yelled out "Transition, Transition!"
I know this exact phrase and can hear him say it in my head from a previous match, it has helped me make a better decision several times. Didn't make it this month glad to hear it was a good match as always. He had been talking about the injury simulation for awhile.

·
Molon Labe
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll hopefully make the next one too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts