10mm info | Carolina Shooters Club

10mm info

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by pzlehr, Jun 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. pzlehr

pzlehr Registered Member

I have shot some off the shelf self defense 10mm and not much recoil to them- but I have heard the recoil is hefty - is that just for Buffalo Bore and Underwood’s along with handloads

2. jodyisaacs

jodyisaacs Registered Member

In my experience, 10mm shelf ammo is loaded like 40. I can actually load both in mine and can't tell the difference. The fps on the box is even within 100. Underwood, Buffalo bore, and companies like them, load them like 10mm was to start with. More recoil. Considerably higher fps... Shelf 10mm ammo is worthless.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SeabeeChief, pzlehr and Dr_Jonez like this.
  3. pzlehr

pzlehr Registered Member

Thanks! That confirms what I thought.

4. shootn4fun

shootn4fun Registered Member

You just have to know where to look for 10mm ammo. There are several brand that that are over the 1200 fps threshold and even a 1600 and 2400 fps offering.
    Sadly these aren't likely to be found on your lgs shelf, but have to be ordered and can be pricey .
    Sig, Hornady, Underwood, all have offerings that approach the old Norma load data.
    I have three 10's two 1911's and the gp100 revolver, so I feel your pain in trying to find real 10 mm ammo.
    If you don't mind their prices cheaper than dirt ( it's not) is a good place to start they list fps in the ammo description

pzlehr likes this.
  5. pzlehr

pzlehr Registered Member

Thanks! That gives me a starting point. Just picked up a XDm in 10mm so I'm wanting to try some "real" 10mm.

shootn4fun likes this.
  6. noylj

noylj Registered Member

The poor 10mm was quite the thing when Norma loaded it. Then, the cops decided it had too much recoil, so they bought downloaded ammo and then went to the .40, as it could be used in smaller pistols. Then there were some comments that the 1911 Delta Elite was being beaten by the hotter 10mm ammo, but I never SAW any proof.
    Currently SAAMI specifies a max average pressure of 37500 psi for 10mm and 35000 psi for .40.
    Even the manuals I have show loadings that are pretty anemic, but it is still best to load your own and work up the load.

pzlehr likes this.
  7. jeff grigg

jeff grigg Registered Member

That damn Norma stuff was way to hot!
    My first 10mm was the Springfield Omega 5inch, At the time all I could find was the Norma ammo and the robust Omega paid the price! shooting the hot stuff crack slide , That btw was replaced by Springfield, Slide had a hairline crack, and I was told by the tech at the time it had to be ammo related.
    Now if you know or have owned a Springfield Omega ,you know that it was a well built robust 1911, the slide and recoil rod were both built for the 10mm.
    Once Springfield replaced the whole top end and shooting my 10mm reloads, all was well!
    And yes they were down loaded a bit ,but not weak like the 40!
    Oh and btw I also had a delta elite and yes the Norma was beating the thing to death, I had to change out the buffer about every 200 rds., they were getting eat up by the hot Norma ammo

pzlehr likes this.
  8. noylj

noylj Registered Member

Remember, the 10mm Auto was NOT designed for the 1911.

SeabeeChief likes this.